Interesting Reading

Caledonian

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, Jeff Carter

The cause of all my Porsche buying

Reading his tales in Wheels and Sports Car Wofld set my passion for Porsche in motion

By the time I started the European delivery system had finished and the nearest I could come up with was buying in the eastern states, having a driving holiday, and heading home to WA with a new 911 and a handful of good memories

The first trip was to buy the 964RS now owned by Kerry.

I rang Jeff to have a chat in his last few years. He was terribly ill but very gracious. By then I had read all his photographic and travel journals and become an ardent admirer of his talents with a pen and more importantly a camera. He chronicled Australia during times we will never see again.

I recall him saying that I was far from the only person to call him and blame him for their Porsche affliction, so there are more admirers of Jeff out there somewhere.

I so nearly called our farm Foxground like Jeffs property in NSW. What a guy and what a ride he had. Fantastic!

Thankyou for posting that article.......

Thanks Simon for the well written reply. I can remember hanging off word that Jeff wrote!

He is the reason I would read through the car advert section of The Age every Saturday morning as a young teenager, dreaming of a day I could too own a 911.

I have a few other articles that I shall scan and post when times permits.

Time for my confession.

I was only 12 at the time.

My brother bought a copy of this magazine.

Even though this happened 35 years ago, I still remember it like it was only yesterday.

SCWAug-Oct1978Cover_zps3d8adf75.jpg

I was able to find a copy of this very same magazine for sale on ebay.  I had cut my brother's original copy up so I could stick the pictures of this car in my school port (suitcase).  I remember my brother wasn't very happy when he found out what I had done to his copy...SCWAug-Oct1978Page8_zpsbf740a0f.jpg

Archived