Plot your own route on GPS?

Hi All,

For some time now I have been looking for the holly grail of GPS apps... 

One where I can plot a club run/SMT directions on my home computer and then transfer it to my iPhone / in car GPS whatever...

I've been speaking with the developers from Sygic, an excellent navigation app that does not require connection to a network, who claim "its on the list"  but don't have a completion time.

It would be fantastic for any car club runs as an insurance policy to my various navigators creative map reading skills.

Does anyone here know of anything?

I believe some brands Benz etc have this facility to share google maps that have been edited with their in-car navigation systems but A i want one for my P and B they seem mostly to be for limos and overseas models....

Cheers,
Bafe

(If this has been asked about before my apologies, i did search for GPS but couldn't see anything)

I plot out runs in google maps on my pc, save them and can access them from my phone. Now that the fruit have their own maps im not sure if you can use google maps on an iphone. Check the app store and see if google maps and navigation (beta) are available.

I plot out runs in google maps on my pc, save them and can access them from my phone. Now that the fruit have their own maps im not sure if you can use google maps on an iphone. Check the app store and see if google maps and navigation (beta) are available.

Hi NJPhoto,

I can do that but i don't get turn by turn directions...  do you?

Quite possible i've missed a step there somewhere....

I plot routes on my PC and transfer them into my Garmin GPS...but that's a handheld unit for bushwalking.  I switch it into "Highway" mode so that it acts like a car unit.  Gives turn by turn directions, just doesn't talk to you.

But I suspect that you are intent on downloading to your Porsche SatNav system, so I don't know about this.

I plot routes on my PC and transfer them into my Garmin GPS...but that's a handheld unit for bushwalking.  I switch it into "Highway" mode so that it acts like a car unit.  Gives turn by turn directions, just doesn't talk to you.

But I suspect that you are intent on downloading to your Porsche SatNav system, so I don't know about this.

Hi Caver,

No not loading to the car system (as I don't have one) just wanted to load it to my iPhone if possible...

The Sygic app is excellent in every way, cheap, accurate bla bla bla and as i said its on their todo list i've just never been blessed with patience....

Using a phone for sat nav is very expensive way to go as the maps / images are downloaded from the internet as you go along, not stored internally as with other GPS units.  It also means that you are reliant upon having network signal available.

Having said that, I don't use Apple anyway.  I did use Google navigation on my Android phone for a trip last year and very quickly burned through my data limit!  I've seen stories in the papers where tourists have relied upon their phones to navigate through Europe for a few weeks, only to come home and find a phone bill of several thousands of dollars!

It's alright if you're just walking a few blocks in the city, but for long distance navigation, particularly in the country, then just go and buy and decent car sat nav unit.  They're only a couple of hundred dollars these days.

Using a phone for sat nav is very expensive way to go as the maps / images are downloaded from the internet as you go along, not stored internally as with other GPS units.  It also means that you are reliant upon having network signal available.

I've used a mapping app. called Metroview.  It stores Aus and NZ maps on your phone so no network connection or ongoing downlaods req'd and uses the inbuilt GPS to track your position,speed etc.    There are plenty of the usual navigation and search features including POI, trip planning and logging etc.  The display is basic but it works. It's especially useful when you get out of town and lose your phone signal.

I've used a mapping app. called Metroview.  It stores Aus and NZ maps on your phone so no network connection or ongoing downlaods req'd and uses the inbuilt GPS to track your position,speed etc.    There are plenty of the usual navigation and search features including POI, trip planning and logging etc.  The display is basic but it works. It's especially useful when you get out of town and lose your phone signal.

Actually the Sygic app is excellent on both counts here...  it uses TomTom maps with pretty much every feature you could ask for and they are loaded to the phone so you don't require a network or any external connection for it to run..  

From memory I think the map upgrades may also be free...

It will operate for walking (hiking) cycling driving etc....

I just can't load the routes onto it....                 yet... 

This is an interesting topic, thank you.  I really like the thought of planning the route and xferring it to the gps. Whenever I'm going someplace new, I do a sanity check on the PC before trusting the GPS and just going 'blind'.

Good one!  I use a Garmin and will see what it lets me do.

From the perspective of a car club member its the most obvious thing to want to do.

As i've said i've had several discussions with the development team at Sygic and they claim to be working on it.

They had planned to release it in the first half of 2013 but that's developer talk i guess  <_<

Several other apps / devices go part way but to have my talking lady assisting my navigators would be fantastic.  especially locating some of the smaller (see also more fun)  roads through the hills.

I'll keep searching in the mean time....

This is an interesting topic, thank you.  I really like the thought of planning the route and xferring it to the gps. Whenever I'm going someplace new, I do a sanity check on the PC before trusting the GPS and just going 'blind'.

Good one!  I use a Garmin and will see what it lets me do.

From the Garmin website:

"1Google does not allow routes to be transferred from Google Maps to the device."

but this is possible:

"Garmin has partnered with Google to allow the transfer of addresses and POIs (Points of Interest)1 from Google Maps to the Garmin device.2"

so, a partial solution available to 'select devices'

Pity, I think it an excellent idea

Hi NJPhoto,

I can do that but i don't get turn by turn directions... do you?

Quite possible i've missed a step there somewhere....

Yes I get turn by turn. Maybe a feature that is missing in the iPhone version to make you use apple maps.

Archived