Techart 987 Boxster S 6MT [SYD]- thoughts?

Hi everyone,

As some of you know, I'm on the hunt for a Porsche and like many of you did before me, have a whole raft of saved notifications and searches on Carsales :D

This one popped onto my radar due to a recent price drop. I can't see it having been discussed on the forums yet so I thought I'd share it here. I'm more after a 911 but this caught my since it's a bit different.

Does anyone have any thoughts or know this car? It's at Sydney City Prestige in Artarmon. I went to have a look at it. A few scuffs and scratches for a 8 year old car. 

2005 987S, 75000 km, lots of options (nav, heated seats, Litronic, multifunction wheel, Alcantara interior with painted console, grey CF wheel (not sure if that's Porsche or Techart), full Techart exterior kit, wheels, exhaust and lowered.  The sales guy didn't know much about its history. Service book shows two owners- first one's a company, second is an individual, whose plates are still on the car (initials JL). 

Doesn't look too bad. It's due for a major service (8 years). I presume spark plugs etc.

Is the IMS also an issue with these motors?

Anyway, discussion welcome :) I've got a lot of homework to do! Thanks everyone!

Jules

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-Boxster-2005/AGC-AD-14335861/?Cr=9&sdmvc=1

146188458.jpg?height=700&aspect=FitWithi

146188462.jpg?height=700&aspect=FitWithi146188467.jpg?height=700&aspect=FitWithi

I don't recall TBH- registered somewhere in Strathfield- that much i know :D

I presume it would've been business rego. I wonder what happened to the second owner to not bother keeping their personalised plates. I won't drop his name in public but that is also in the service books.

Get the engine number, early 2005 has small and problematic IMS, need the engine number to be sure what IMS it has.

go to http://www.imsporschesettlement.com/faqs/ to see that yes 2005 is included

but from http://www.imsporschesettlement.com/porsche-vin/

looks like that car isn't... but who know how accurate that is..

could be you have the larger IMS bearing (last edition) which is an under 1% failure rate.

by the way the car was made in Finland..... ?

Interesting re: made in Finland. I know some of the 986s were made there, didn't realise it carried over to the 987.  I know 981 is made in Germany. It seems that company also makes Saabs, the new Merc A Class etc.  Outsourcing I guess to meet production.

Not my cup of tea sorry. Just says "driven hard"

My thoughts too. Modified cars usually only attract the taste of the original person doing the modifying ;) If anything, they seem to stay on the market longer than stock cars. Be they Euro or Jap cars. 

Valmet Automotive is the company, they also produced the Lada Samara and Opel Calibra! They currently make the Fisker Karma though

and they own some of Karmann's old roof manufacturing facilities, so I guess theres a chance a lot of Boxster/Cabrio roofs are made there too

I don't think it has engine mods but I didn't drive it and the salesman didn't know...I though the exhaust was tips only. Certainly the muffler looks stock but hard to say- they touted that it was a full exhaust. 

I didn't look at the rear tyres size but I saw the rub marks. Nuts. I think 305 is the recommended Techart fitment too.

It's too expensive at 54K. I'd consider it at 45K given it's modded with those km :D But I'm sure someone will buy it. 

Tech Art looks ok IMHO with some of their bits but I don't like the front. It looks like its an add on wrapped around from the sides then not quite integrated with the rest of the front. Might be that I'm an old fart though. I would keep looking.

Guess ramspeed were naughty or something as they lost techart rights at the start of the year, now done by a qld company.

Oh it was more for discussion than anything else but thanks for the tip re: Ramspeed! :)

Hi guys and gals, thanks for all your input.

I've recently test-driven both the 987 Base and S. I'm leaning towards the 987S, purely for the extra grunt. I'm coming from a twin turbo car and the base 987 is missing that torque :) 

The hunt begins!! 

I haven't driven this Techart car. It's way too expensive anyway and not quite to my taste. 

qstoria- sorry mate! Your car is super clean at a great price with nothing to spend, but i'd prefer the 987. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys and gals, thanks for all your input.

I've recently test-driven both the 987 Base and S. I'm leaning towards the 987S, purely for the extra grunt. I'm coming from a twin turbo car and the base 987 is missing that torque :)

The hunt begins!! 

I haven't driven this Techart car. It's way too expensive anyway and not quite to my taste. 

qstoria- sorry mate! Your car is super clean at a great price with nothing to spend, but i'd prefer the 987. 

I don't blame you at all, I wanted a 987 S too  :D

What sort of Twin turbo car did you come from?

Ah a 135i.  A mate has one with the Procede chip.  Very fast in a straight line but... I'd take a 987 S any day! hell I'd take a 986 S but I'm a tad biased though.

It appears 63k is Cayman S money too.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Cayman-2006/SSE-AD-2269059/?Cr=0&sdmvc=1

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Cayman-2006/SSE-AD-2356144/?Cr=10&sdmvc=1

Archived