Sportomatic Clutch Change

Russ

Success! I've been chatting to an awesome guy in the US who's done me a deal on all 3 parts, and has some contacts to find replacement bits later which is great (I'm pretty sure he's fairly well known in Porsche circles too)

now just trying to get it here and installed before the skidpan.

Got back in to town this morning...... First stop was down to them, to have a look, happy with the work, but it is slow..... Didn't think about taking photo's though, I'm happy with what I saw....... Ordered up the IROC nose cone and the RS rear bumper just now...... For next year......

Be another 10 days - 2 weeks before I get her back..... Fully sorted...... The painter should be called Da Vinci, bloody hell I was impressed with the paint work they were doing....... And she comes out all one colour & with a sorted sunroof (at Last!)

okay in my usual '1 step forward, 2 steps back' routine, it turns out the stuff I've bought won't fit :(

2.2/2.4 Sportomatic (905 gearbox) runs a 180mm clutch (which it shares with a 1303 VW Beetle - Sachs part number = 001 141 031A which is about $140 online and readily available)

2.7/3.0 Sportomatic (925 gearbox) runs a 190mm clutch (which it doesn't seem to share with anything - Sachs part number = 1864 303 033 which now seems to be NLA anywhere (I've been in touch with Sachs, as well as Porsche Classic))

I guess at this rate I'm buying one direct from Porsche and waiting (assuming they can get them still - as they buy them from Sachs) the only other place that seems to have stock is AutoAtlanta, they're cheaper but ordering them from Porsche as well

I'm really considering getting a batch of Clutches/Pressure Plates/Release Bearings manufactured and selling them online as a help to every other late model sportomatic owner out there! 

I'm also in contact with the previous owner of sportomatic.org to purchase the domain name and get this information onto a website where everyone can see it (as well as the other stuff they already had up like the brochures and a register etc.)

• 2 weeks later...

yep, he's where I got my clutch disc, pressure plate and T/O bearing from

but turns out I have 190mm 925 one so it'll be going in this week

EDIT: and by going in, I mean TD Automotive is doing it because it'd take me forever and I want to drive the car

• 2 weeks later...

clutch in and driving - so much more oomph now! seems this clutch has non-organic material on it and must've been used in racing or something

only problem is when stationary I don't have a clutch but on downshift and upshift while driving I do

going to try the adjustment to space out the clutch some more, maybe make the linkage longer again, as well as renew some of the vacuum lines - I've had the diaphragm tested and the micro switch is new. If these don't work I'm going to fit a electric vacuum pump from a W124 Mercedes-Benz just to run the clutch mechanism (as due to the age of my engine it might not be creating much/enough vacuum)

• 1 month later...

electric vacuum pump won't work as i need a massive one to give the amount of vacuum the engine gives normally (and the hose is huge)

it turns out the clutch disc isn't disengaging, adjusted the throw out and fitted a longer rod and it still doesn't disengage

in my hot little hand i have a genuine Porsche 925 Sportomatic clutch (and it came in a plastic bag! i didn't even get a cool box)

it's going in Tuesday and then hopefully this will be all over!

Porsche Australia has 1 more on the shelf if anyone ever gets into this bind! lol

a moment that has been coming for months now....

I FINALLY HAVE A SPORTOMATIC THAT WORKS LIKE IT SHOULD!

Thanks to the guys at TD Automotive for sorting it out for me! and thanks to everyone for their feedback and handy info/tips!

so one final update

My original clutch was coated in oil from the input seal in the gearbox - there's lots of material left on it, it's just oil soaked (there is a trick I read online and spoke to a racing guy in the US about, soaking it in fuel to get to the oil, then leaving it in Portland cement for a month to get the oil out - we'll see how it goes)

first clutch I bought in a box of bits from eBay - got a near new pressure plate (which is NLA from Porsche) and a throw out bearing and clutch (with non organic material so must've been used for racing) he did throw the clutch disc in with it for free so I can't really complain. the throw out bearing was packed full of grease and after fitting this flung around over this clutch disk and ruined it...

second clutch is a Porsche genuine one (there is still one more left at Porsche in Melbourne if anyone ever needs one) $450 or so and cheaper from buying from the US! I've now got a combination of good pressure plate that I got from the states, my original throw out bearing, and a new clutch. All the seals were done at the first replacement so it's purring like new now

only other issue was my battery was killed from low use (I need to buy a trickle charger) and not providing 12v - so this wasn't operating the solenoid that controls the clutch. So really it was a combination of everything but now it's all working like it should!

Archived