Sportomatic Clutch Change

Russ

so I've got a month 'til the skidpan and I've got a worn clutch (and if I keep driving it it'll overheat the flywheel and I need a new one)

I've decided to have a go myself - anyone know of any special tools you need? (apart from some Allen keys, a VW output shaft or clutch alignment tool)

Sportomatic clutches are a bit different to normal ones obviously, it's an engine out job - then behind the engine is the flex plate and torque converter. On the gearbox side you essentially remove the 'bell housing' (which looks different to a standard one with all sorts of holes cut in it) and then behind that is a clutch disc, pressure plate and flywheel.

Anyone out there done it before? There's very limited advice on the internet - on the advice of TD Automotive i'll be changing the rear main seal while I'm there too

thanks tazzieman - yeah I did, didn't read too much of it first time (I have asked if he wanted to sell it though lol)

is the clutch interchangable with the SC? The one I took out has a lot of life left, but needs to be deglazed. If it's any use you can have it mate

thanks but it's actually a 1600 beetle clutch! (it's substantially smaller than a normal 911 one) I've got one with pressure plate coming for around $200

damnit after spending the morning cleaning up the garage in preparation I'm in 2 minds.

my jack and stands are all pretty average - and it'll involve crawling around on the floor, as well as getting the engine out from under the car looks like a challenge

on the other hand if I take it to TD (as I've planned initially) they'll just get it done - and I know it's done properly

god damnit, it's not a VW beetle clutch (but it might still be the stick shift...)

it's 190mm and looks like the below - I've got the guy that used to own/started 'Import Advantage' (before they became imparts) sourcing me something hopefully though

if anyone knows of anything close with a solid centre and the same size/shape can they let me know?

the way the spring part of the pressure plate is shaped is what makes it different (normal VW ones have a ring on the outside over the top)

WP_20131108_003.jpg

WP_20131108_006.jpg

WP_20131108_005.jpg

WP_20131108_004.jpg

apparently they shudder if you do that (and it's difficult to manipulate the clutch around it)

I can find the Porsche part number from PET, but pelican has no listing for it

the below site has a code 001-141-031A which spits up a few things on Google (one of which is a VW clutch)

http://www.lufteknic.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=001-141-031A&Category_Code=clutch_disc

yeah I'd be stuffed without the internet! - it'd be all down to 100s of phone calls

fortunately TD Automotive had a 925 Sportomatic on the floor with the clutch attached, so that's pictures of that

ok, so the latest update - $450 for a throw out bearing from Porsche, and $450 for a clutch disc (pressure plate NLA) ex Germany so won't be here in time for the skidpan

anyone got any of the components lying around from a previous sportomatic conversion?

The clutch disc is 190mm - so maybe an early golf or Passat too which I'm going to check tomorrow.

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I don't understand why no one lists parts online - nothing at pelican! it's not like they're not all that uncommon)

They can get the clutch material redone, but they get a shuddering apparently (probably due to the shape of the clutch material on the disc

I'm going to stick with sportomatic, its original as is and if I change it I'll still have a 2.7 targa

Success! I've been chatting to an awesome guy in the US who's done me a deal on all 3 parts, and has some contacts to find replacement bits later which is great (I'm pretty sure he's fairly well known in Porsche circles too)

now just trying to get it here and installed before the skidpan.

Archived