STARTING PROBLEMS HOT 911 SC

JAX57

hey guys, my SC has doesn't start when engine is hot, I have to wait at least an hour for it to cool down  especially on hot days. I've called three different garages and got three different answers. It can't be the fuel pump as it doesn't run rough when it eventually gets going. It turns over but doesn't fire up.Comments were that this is a common issue with older air cooled 911, which is a great help.

Any thoughts ? appreciate your help ;)

if you mean DME relay, I think they started on the Carrera 3.2 and L-Jetronic

here's a good thread on the accumulator (when failed it basically gives you vapour lock around your injectors and fuel lines)

http://www.partsplaceinc.com/catalog/vw-fuelinjection-fuelpressure-accumulators-gaugekits48.shtml

have you had any symptoms until now?

Thanks Tazzieman, this sounds the most likely cause.

It's not the starter motor as it turns freely

I actually had the same problem yesterday RussR, anyway I can quickly remedy the situation before I get the replacement part in?

I've had this happen in my 912 on numerous occasions - more so in the hotter temperature.

I also had the fuel vaporise on me - car stopped dead. It was a 46 degree day driving for 1.5hrs.

4hrs later and 1 tow truck - car started and drove perfectly.

I've had this happen in my 912 on numerous occasions - more so in the hotter temperature.

I also had the fuel vaporise on me - car stopped dead. It was a 46 degree day driving for 1.5hrs.

4hrs later and 1 tow truck - car started and drove perfectly.

46deg for 1.5hrs and no aircon!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived