Performance chips

Raf

Hello All,

My inaugural message on the forum - good work guys. I'm contemplating chipping my 964, any suggestions on recommended chip brands, pros and cons and experiences (good or bad) associated with chips would be welcome.

Cheers,

Raf

• 2 months later...

Hello All,

My inaugural message on the forum - good work guys. I'm contemplating chipping my 964, any suggestions on recommended chip brands, pros and cons and experiences (good or bad) associated with chips would be welcome.

Cheers,

Raf

Hi Raf I Recently purchased a steve wong chip from 911 chips in the us. I researched as much as I could on other forums and felt pretty confident

my main issue was stalling after fitting a light weight flywheel, however increased performance claims if real would not be a bad thing.as the chip was only about 350 us and i was able to pay with paypal i took a punt. Results. after the Resetting of the ECU phase the car stalls once every blue moon instead of every time i put the clutch in performance wise (shit hot) you can really feel the difference up high without any flat spots and is very smooth. I know that the best way to achieve mapping results are with a dyno, however that can be very hard on you`re car and having been down that road before with different vehicles i wasn`t prepared to do it again.I am happy to recommend as i achieved the results that i was after and the performance gains were a welcome bonus

cheers steve

link http://www.911chips.com/index2.html

• 1 month later...

Hi Steve,

I have been in contact with Steve Wong at 911 chips and found him to be really helpful so I have just placed an order for a chip for my car. Will let you all know my impressions once i install it. Thanks for the lead it was a great one.

Cheers

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

New ECU chip arrived yesterday and I installed it last night. Just took the car for a short run and the difference is very noticeable. Can really feel the difference down low and pulls much more cleanly now.

Steve Wong is great to deal with and the whole experience cost me just over $400

Cannot wait to give it a proper run now.

Cheers Chris :D

Hi Guys,

New ECU chip arrived yesterday and I installed it last night. Just took the car for a short run and the difference is very noticeable. Can really feel the difference down low and pulls much more cleanly now.

Steve Wong is great to deal with and the whole experience cost me just over $400

Cannot wait to give it a proper run now.

Cheers Chris :D

Hey Chris,

$400 bucks and a "very noticeable" difference, FANTASTIC!

So often you can paid heaps more for upgrades and struggle to really see the difference! :)

Well done!

OK Raf, there you go, what else do you want?!! :P

Kerry

• 1 month later...

Hello Guys,

Thought I'd let you know that I picked up my 964 after having the Steve Wong chip professionally installed and the difference is very noticeable, especially in the low-mid revs range. The car also idles slightly sweeter. Chris who looks after my car was also very impressed by the performance improvement. Unfortunately it was only a short drive to drop the car off for the AGP display so I'm really looking forward to my usual country runs. For $AUD415 (delivered) it's a very cheap performance enhancement.

So what's next....a sports exhaust?

Thanks again guys for your contribution.

Regards,

Raf

• 6 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I stumbled across this forum whilst googling "high performance chips" and by the recommendation of everyone on here i have just ordered a Steve Wong chip!

Thanks for a great forum it made my decision a breeze, cant wait for it to come!!!

Hi Froggy,

My car continues to perform well with the Steve Wong chip so I look forward to hearing how you go. It's a great time to be buying car "stuff" from the USA. I've just had a strut brace delivered to my door from Pelican Parts for A$249.

Regards,

Raf

Hello All,

Cheers,

Raf

Steve Wong @ 911chips.com :P

Hi All,

I received my Steve Wong chip on Monday (6 Days after ordering), rushed home from work to install it.

Installation was relatively straight forward and took about an hour.

My car is an 89 3.2 and recently i fitted a set of SSI's and Dansk Sport muffler running only 98 RON Fuel, accordingly i ordered the appropriate chip from Steve Wong's website.

Now the verdict..........To be fair the fuel currently in my tank would be about 3-4 months old (what can i say its an 80 ltr tank and been a very cold winter ).

The difference in performance is noticeable, i must confess i was expecting a little more; but saying that i am happy, and am looking forward to some fresh fuel and the upcoming Sunday Morning Targa to give it a proper workout.

I would recommend anyone contemplating buying one to do so , particularly now with the exchange rate so favourable.

Can i also say that i have found the discussion about Fuel and peoples strategies for filling up particularly useful and i will definitely be adopting the strategy of keeping only a minimal amount in the tank and filling up only when i know that the majority of the fuel will be used in a short period, like the 17 th October.

For those interested i will update this after a proper workout.

Thanks again

Danny

Hi Danny,

Good on you. Glad you found the chip made a difference, I felt the same with mine when I changed it over. Yes the fuel thing is an interesting one and I am a bit like you in that the fuel can sit in the tank for quite a while. I think I have managed to do around 700km in the last 12 months and I have always been of the mindset to keep the tank full, so I will go the other way now and only keep it to a minimum.

I will not make it on the 17th but look forward to catching up at some stage.

Cheers

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I had the opportunity to give the car a proper run on Sunday courtesy of the SMT well organised by 9fan.

I was happy with the overall performance of the chip , i found that it makes the engine rev a lot more freely, gives a bit more power down low, and i think it also makes the engine rev a bit higher.

Overall the responsiveness was better and was quite fun when coming out of some of the corners in the wet.

The chip wont blow your mind , but (in my case) provide some subtle differences which made the whole driving experience a lot more enjoyable.

Again, anyone thinking about buying one i would recommend to do so; its an easy and relatively inexpensive (in porsche terms) enhancement and at the end of the day its not difficult to revert back to your original set up if you are not happy with it.

I hope prospective buyers find this useful.

Regards

Danny

Archived