944 wheels

Foyley

Guy's

I am new to the forum and have recently purchased my first Porsche which I love! 944 Turbo,I have tried to find after market wheels to suit it so I have a different look but I have had no luck to this point.

I have been quoted $1500 per rim which seems over the top to me!

But I could be wrong. Can anyone point me in the right direction on where I can pick some up?

Foyley

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
$T2eC16VHJGgFFmrW-Oi1BR63!y4KSw~~60_57.J

Guys,

thanks for your responses! I have attached a picture of the style of wheel I am looking for hope this helps! found these online last night for $1400 USD set of 4 but was hoping to source locally to avoid freight!

They're nice wheels, but you'll probably have a hard time getting them. 

What year is your car? 

If it's '86 you'll have no issues putting most wheels on your car. Most will need spacers. 

If it's '87+ You can run most factory 'late' wheels like from a 993 996 ect. with out the need for spacers.

the 86 gives you more choice of aftermarket wheels. 

Mine is early 1986 but speaking with Bob Jane Carina who done a bit of research for me they have nothing to offer so hence I am asking the question of those who have done this before. because I am getting confused?

Happy to take any advice on offer!

http://www.agrtyres.com.au/index.php#.UusIk3eSzk8

Try these guys! they're up in sydney. 

they use to sell 3 piece wheels similar style to what you've shown. They're not listed any more but i'm pretty sure they can get them in. But give them a call or pop them an email. Tell them what your car is ect. If they're not sure if they're going to fit. Ask for the offsets and sizes and i'll help you work out if they need to fit with spacers or not. 

yeah there's a drive on the 16th you should bring it along to, see the SMT section

I'd personally spend a little more and get a good brand of wheel

How much more is a little more Russ?

I think what he originally got quoted per wheel is a little to expensive? I think BBS price their wheels a bit cheaper than that?

On what colour car!!

I'd love a set. Very jap, but they're a cool wheel!! 

You won't fin a 944 with them wheels because all the guys in the states won't spend that much on wheels! as the they buy the car for 3-7k. 3k for wheels is half what the car is worth! Except the guy with the fully blown out 3L turbos or race cars. 

In this country it's a little different. 

That is only other factory design(besides Fuchs) that I like on a 944. I have looked and found them before on ebay for around $1800  for full set with tyres(in 18's x 10" and 8") from a mob in NSW. 1500 a wheel is way too much I think.

oh and welcome aboard. you are going to love that car(and maybe hate it at times too lol) but mostly love ;) You have exceptional taste IMO :D

peace

Cyberpunky

On a side note.

You should, well must upgrade your caster blocks to 968 ones to accommodate for the larger wheels. This is actually recommended by porsche.

They don't recommend 18 inch wheels but everyone seems to have no issues really. Just keep up the maintenance. 

FYI, Here is the Porsche Tech Service Bulletin on 18 inch wheels.

18-INCH WHEEL INSTALLATION NOT APPROVED
Article Text
1987 Porsche 944
Tuesday, August28, 2001 11:31AM

ARTICLE BEGINNING

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN

INSTALLATION OF 18" WHEELS NOT APPROVED

Model All Porsche Models
Group 4
Bulletin No. 9305
Date April 15, 1993

Concern:

Retrofitting 18" wheels on Porsche vehicles which do not have 18" wheels as original equipment is NOT ALLOWED.

General Information:

Endurance tests have shown that equipping certain Porsche vehicles with 18" wheels in an application not already approved by Porsche Cars, N.A. may result in loosened bolts and /or threaded connections on the front wheel carriers. This, in turn, may cause fractures in these components. Fractures may also occur in the front strut mounts and in the body in the area of the rear suspension as a result of the installation of 18" wheels not already approved for installation for this specific application.
Such damage can occur without warning and the vehicle may become very hard to control/steer as a result of the improper installation.
Porsche dealer personnel coming in contact with a vehicle that has been retrofitted with 18" wheels in an application not approved by Porsche, should inform the owner of the potential for damage to their vehicle and loss of steering control. Porsche Cars, N.A. should also be notified of any vehicles retrofitted with 18" wheels.

END OF ARTICLE

'86 951

APPROVED WHEELS & TIRES: NEW SPECIFICATIONS
Article Text

ARTICLE BEGINNING

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN

17 INCH APPROVED WHEELS & TIRES

Model(s): 1987-On Porsche 944 (with M30 option) 1987-On Porsche 944S (with M30 option) 1987-On Porsche 944 T (with M30 option) 1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S
1989 Porsche 944 Turbo
1989-On Porsche 944 S2
Group: 4
Bulletin No.: 9303
Date: September 28, 1993

SERVICE INFORMATION

Concern

Installing 17" Porsche wheels on vehicles previously equipped with 16" wheels.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Installation Information
1. Front and rear fender well lips must be reworked and/or checked for adequate tire clearance. See Fig. 1.

2. Suspension travel must also be checked. Parts such as brake lines, hoses and brackets must have adequate clearance.

3. New caster eccentrics, rear mounts and nuts must be installed in the front control arms. This change is necessary due to a change in caster specification on vehicles equipped with Porsche 17" wheels. The specification for vehicles equipped with 17" wheels is 3'-15'-45. See Fig. 2.

4. Vehicles must have a rear stabilizer bar.

5. When adjusting vehicles to new caster specification, all alignment values should be checked at that time.

6. When summer tires are used on vehicles with 17" Porsche wheels, snow chains cannot be used. If winter tires are used, only snow chains with Porsche Part Number 911 361 924 00 may be used.

7. Tire pressures for front and rear 17" Porsche wheels is to be set at 2.5 bar (36 PSI) at approximately 20'C (68'F).

8. When using this rim and tire combination, a 17mm spacer plate must be installed on the rear wheel hub. The customer must be informed that if the emergency wheel is needed, the spacer must be removed.

9. Not for Cabriolet vehicles.

APPROVED WHEEL & TIRE TABLE

Tire size Rim size Offset Position Note

225/45 ZR 17 7,t Jxl7 AH 65mm Front Summer tires
255/40 ZR 17 9 Jxl7 AH 55mm Rear (See installation
information
A through G.)

225/45 ZR 17 8 Jxl7 AH 52mm Front Summer tires
255/40 ZR 17 94.@ JX17 AH 68nm Rear (See installation
information
A through I.)

205/50 R 17 7;-i Jxl7 AH 65mm Front Winter tires
225/45 R 17 8 Jxl7 AH 52mm Rear (See installation
information A through G.)

NOTE: When using this rim and tire combination, a 17mm spacer plate must be installed on the rear wheel hub. The customer must be informed that if the emergency wheel is needed, the spacer must be removed.

PARTS INFORMATION TABLE

Description Part Number Quantity

Spacer Ring 951 331 611 02 2
Wheel Bolt 904 341 671 00 10

Wheel Nut 999 1 82 003 36 10
APPROVED WHEEL PART NUMBER TABLE
Size Offset Part Number

7;-i Jxl7 AH 65mm 96536212405
8 Jxl7 AH 52mm 96536212601
9 Jxl7 AH 55mm 96536212800
91.@ Jxl7 AH 68mm 96536212805

APPROVED TIRES AND SIZES (SUMMER VERSIONS) TABLE