944 wheels

Foyley

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fractures may also occur in the front strut mounts and in the body in the area of the rear suspension as a result of the installation of 18" wheels not already approved for installation for this specific application.

after reading that i'd be a big wary of putting 18" wheels on a 944 personally, but at the end of the day it's your car to do with what you like.

Also my earlier comment about a spending more on better wheels - I was more talking about buying a recognised brand name (rather than some of the 'tyre shop brands' going around

after reading that i'd be a big wary of putting 18" wheels on a 944 personally, but at the end of the day it's your car to do with what you like.

Also my earlier comment about a spending more on better wheels - I was more talking about buying a recognised brand name (rather than some of the 'tyre shop brands' going around

people have been running 18inch wheels on 944s since the dawn of time. Seriously though, I have never seen any 944 that has had an issue with 18 inch wheels. There are that many on the track in aus and usa running 18's with slicks. 

Ok gents here's what I am thinking. Im going to purchase these out of the USA as I can land them here for $2300 cheaper than the Australian options.

Please give me your thoughts I do value all input.

18" RS-903 wheels / rims for Porsche 996 993 944 928 964 965 987 Boxster Cayman Genuine fitment

Porsche RS-903 18" (light-weight) Wheels (Factory lug-bolt fitment)
18x8.5 (45) & 18x9.5 (49)
STEP-LIP "cup style"

*4 rims and caps and lugs included. Tires not included

Finish:   Silver with polished step lip

Rims Size:    18 X 8.5" fronts  &  18 X 9.5" rears

Bolt Pattern:  5 X 130

HUB:  71.5 hub centric

Offset:  45 mm front  &  49 mm rear 

Quantity:  Set of four wheels and caps.  Tires not included

Condition:  Brand new

works with Porsche TPMS equipment wheel weight is 22-lbs ea. which is 22-lbs per set lighter than the factory 996 18" standard twist wheels (factory is 25/30) These wheels look identical to 3-pc wheels at a fraction of the price (one piece construction)

Feel free to contact us with any fitment questions  602-692-4063 

Fits Porsche applications:

Porsche 996 993 964 965 928 944 951 968 Boxster & Cayman

$_57.JPG

$T2eC16VHJGgFFmrW-Oi1BR63!y4KSw~~60_57.J

The US is pretty slack about wheel quality so that makes me wary of anything sold there. they don't have ADR or DOT or TUV type standards and so some wheels are not made to the standard we would expect down here. I am not saying that is the case here but after seeing a Jay Leno's garage episode about some locally made wheels(of very high quality) I was a bit shocked that they allow clone wheels for sale that are rubbish. Anyway as I said I love the look of these but I'd go the hollow spokes twists you posted above or keep looking personally, as last thing you want is a wheel fracturing or something when you are doing a spirited drive. I maybe being over cautious though

• 2 months later...

Ok guy's,

After a lot of research and hunting I have some wheels which I feel look very good on the 944! I would like to know your thoughts please note the picture of the car is with the engine removed that's why it looks a little funny in the front!

post-1705-0-87595800-1398295059_thumb.jp

post-1705-0-09487900-1398295070_thumb.jp

post-1705-0-17036000-1398295095_thumb.jp

It's not a bad thing, but yeah the ROW bumpers are a lot nicer. most US guys swap them out for ROW ones. someone has changed yours, either it's been in an accident or someone just wanted the US spec one. 

Either way I don't mind them! the rear bumper that is!!

As for the project, I started working on the engine oil leaks and now have the engine on a stand with a full rebuild in process as there were just too many leaks to fix!

Ill post some pictures when I get back home. As for the parts I have sourced from the USA as these guys are much cheaper and im saving on shipping as im bringing them back from USA in june!

Are you doing piston rings, bearings ect? if so what rings are you using?

I've been through a full rebuild, and upgrade and custom stuff too! so fire away with any questions. 

Pauly,

Carrying out a complete rebuild from bottom up all rings(Goetze) bearings, gaskets, the lot timing belts, water pump etc! no point going this far and not doing it all properly

should do the clutch and machine the flywheel while it's out. 

Don't attempt to clean the bores or hone them. You will damage them. They need a specific procedure and products to get it done properly. 

an oil pan baffle (lindsey racing) is a good oil pan mod. most people do it. It also helps the oil not to shoot out when doing oil change.

Not sure if i've posted this to you, But this is my build thread. Phase 2 is the engine rebuild. have a look if you want some while you're in there ideas.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/622543-paulys-go-quicker-project-data-logs.html

Pauly,

Thanks for the great intel here ill take your advice and get the Lindsay racing pan mod as well as your other recommendations!

Thanks Foyley

I can't really think of many things, But what does come to mind is to have a look at the heater coolant lines and the heater valve. Just because they're a pain to get to. 

Speed and reference sensors if they're old and the cable looks like it's seen better days.

Depends how much of a "Freak" you are. I re did all the heat shields in high temp paint. or get them zinc plated. 

Archived