Others simply dont understand....

Hounddub

I really think that most people dont want to try to understand the whole "Porsche" thing, so many others have completely steroetyped the owner profile and it really is starting to annoy me.

Let me explain.

I'm still a pretty active member of another brand's owners forum in Australia from a previous car I owned. Usually a pretty great bunch on there but most of them are younger and as a result they are all experts in all cars via catelogs, stats and nurburgring lap times. Yep, they've got an opinion on everything but havent driven anything. Additionally, they all desire a Lotus Exige S as their ultimate car..... even without driving it they think its the greatest driver's car on earth!

They are all aware that I now drive a 997 I ventured to share my thoughts about why I thought Lotus was not very successful as a brand. This is exactly what I suggested:

"...that's the problem for Lotus. Everyone who wants one can't afford one, and everyone who is now in a position to afford one inevitably buys a Porsche."

Now, I'm no snob but I my experience as a vehicle marketer for 20 years has given me a clarity of what works and doesnt in the marketplace. I also think that my statement is really one of fact. Lotus Cars does actuallymake some great driver's cars.....but really, who would part with $150,000 of there own REAL money to buy one?

I suppose it got me off side with them as they see me as some Porsche "owner" and I think everything else is inferior. Well actually, the problem is that ourbeautiful machines are so poorly understood.

Really got me riled up I have to say.

Most forums or enthusiast groups will tend to idolise their chosen product over others. There's probably some lesson in collective psychology there.

I've seen this on every single-make forum I've been on except one called "motoring underground" which started as a (BMW) mini forum. Its a small group where as they grew older have spread out into other marques. Their primary focus now is more about enjoying cars in general. There's a lot of creative types on there (photographers, designers) too. All started in minis, now Bimmers, FT86, mx5, VW etc.

To your point. Yes. Lotus' are awesome. Yes, they are too expensive in Australia for what they are. But they are quite niche which makes their business model sort of risky. Other companies solve that problem by having sacrificial models - just like the Cayenne...

I have always thought that if I didn't have a Porsche I would have a lotus, they share that similar 'drivers car' and somewhat purist ideology and I have always really liked them. Would I buy one? Well I haven't yet and in reality if I was I'd be looking at an Exige and to be honest I think I would end up buying a GT3 instead (if I was chasing the new track car vibe).

So I tend to believe that I will always be an admirer, I appreciate them and love them but would safely say I'd buy a second hand 911 of sorts over a new Lotus. (Although I have always loved the Caterhams and clubman cars too!)

It is an interesting question really and difficult to put in words.

Why is it that a person prefers a particular make ?

Why is it, that a series, within a make, is preferred over another ?

Is it History?  Style?  Performance? Handling? Technology? Price? Comfort? Pose value? Taste? Practicality? Ignorance?

all of these reasons? or something you can't quite put your finger on?

Whatever it is,  imagine, if everyone preferred the same thing, what a boring place it would be ?

Ironically I almost bought a Lotus a few years ago but decided not too because of what others may have thought. I now regret that choice and when looking at buying a Porsche decided I couldn't care less what others thought. The best part of owning a Porsche is no matter what anyone says or thinks about them or you, you are still the guy/gal leaving in the Porsche ;)

speaking of Lotus, we have 2 new ones from Zagame's as a display in my building at work, 333 Collins. Great looking cars, but if i was to spend 150k on a car, i dont think i'd even consider a Lotus

I used to work in 333 Collins. Love that building and had the most awesome job, working for an awesome company with awesome people.

Off topic sorry!

To my point. Once you can afford one.....there's other cars on the shopping list.

For me, an Exige would be a 3rd or possibly a 4th car.....and I need to be worth a lot more and have significantly more credits with the wife to do that.

Bit if a "balls out" track car is what you want, you'd just get a 997 or 996 GT3 wouldnt you? Better on the roads, better all round.

My brother in law has a race tuned Exige S and whilst its amazing to drive it would drive me mad. Oh, and he's. Now looking for a GT3 for that exact reason.

Archived