Carpet suppliers in Australia?

Guest hepkat63

Guest hepkat63

Hi All,

I know I can get carpet for the 964 from Pelican parts, AppBiz, Lakewell and others overseas, but wanted to know if there are any known carpet suppliers here in Australia at reasonable cost?

Carpet from the states is about $400 Shipped for plush pile.  Nearest I could find in Australia the online seller wanted $1600 - which is outrageous.

Would much rather buy from Aussie business - can anyone help/advise ?

regards

steve

I was quoted 3300 fitted for Black Sliverknit by a well known trimmer down here in Melbourne.. couldnt find a local supplier and held off buying a kit out of the states for fear of an incorrect RH cut as I was after a perfect fitment...

Hi All,

I know I can get carpet for the 964 from Pelican parts, AppBiz, Lakewell and others overseas, but wanted to know if there are any known carpet suppliers here in Australia at reasonable cost?

Carpet from the states is about $400 Shipped for plush pile.  Nearest I could find in Australia the online seller wanted $1600 - which is outrageous.

Would much rather buy from Aussie business - can anyone help/advise ?

regards

steve

My bet is that the auto-carpet you buy here is also imported from the same sources.

Guest hepkat63

I was quoted 3300 fitted for Black Sliverknit by a well known trimmer down here in Melbourne.. couldnt find a local supplier and held off buying a kit out of the states for fear of an incorrect RH cut as I was after a perfect fitment...

what?  that is insane pricing.  Even buying a perfect OEM RHD sliver knit from Lakewell in the UK will only set you back around $800 AUD landed and it is guaranteed as good as OEM factory.  

I used Classic British and German Automotive Textiles out of Sydney.

They carry the original Porsche OEM carpet from the square weave of the early 356's to the  Haargarn of the 64-73 911 and the silverknit of the mid 70's to late 80's 911 along with the pile carpet of the later Porsche cars, floor mats, boot carpet, headliner and underlay material and all OEM Porsche brands.

They can supply it in full pre made kits or by the metre and were knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with.

I asked my trimmer up here now much he needed then ordered the carpet shipped direct to him and just gave him the RS templates from a PDF I had found of another kit to save time on figuring out the pieces etc.

Hope this helps and these weren't the ones who quoted you a high price LOL.

My price was about the same as the $3300 above all done but it was bespoke to what I wanted, which was the original silverknit in RS style all edges trimmed and snaps to locate the floor pieces with all the trimming around roll bar, making a parcel shelf, deleting rear seats, making leather covered seatbelt covers for the back belt boxes and making carpet mats.

Steve at F&H trimmers here in Brisbane did all the work and I am very happy with the results

Cheers Al

what?  that is insane pricing.  Even buying a perfect OEM RHD sliver knit from Lakewell in the UK will only set you back around $800 AUD landed and it is guaranteed as good as OEM factory.  

Yep, plus one on that, absolutely ridiculous to expect to pay that sort of money.

Back in 2008 I bought Sliverknit carpet from 'World Upholstery and Trim ' based in Santa Paula CA @ $57USD per yard 60" wide

3 yards plus delivery cost a total of $206 dollars. I only needed enough for the front. 5 would more than likely do the entire car ,there isn't much at the back.

The delivery price at the time was incredibly cheap I remember for a Fed ex delivery but maybe they have an arrangement. That I do not know

The first shipment was the wrong colour and they apologized profusely and sent the correct color immediately free of FOC. 

They did not want the incorrectly supplied carpet back so I still have it..

In effect what I am saying here is they were terrific to deal with.

The carpet can be obtained quite economically so all you need then is a trimmer that doesn't need to fly first class on his bi annual vacations.

The full carpet kit out of the UK for $800 sounds like the way to go though if you aren't a hands on sort person.

Remember, if you can't do it yourself it will have to be fitted into the car and that will add cost.

Whatever way you are still going to be more than 2k short of $3,300.

Guest hepkat63

Yep, plus one on that, absolutely ridiculous to expect to pay that sort of money.

Back in 2008 I bought Sliverknit carpet from 'World Upholstery and Trim ' based in Santa Paula CA @ $57USD per yard 60" wide

3 yards plus delivery cost a total of $206 dollars. I only needed enough for the front. 5 would more than likely do the entire car ,there isn't much at the back.

The delivery price at the time was incredibly cheap I remember for a Fed ex delivery but maybe they have an arrangement. That I do not know

The first shipment was the wrong colour and they apologized profusely and sent the correct color immediately free of FOC. 

They did not want the incorrectly supplied carpet back so I still have it..

In effect what I am saying here is they were terrific to deal with.

The carpet can be obtained quite economically so all you need then is a trimmer that doesn't need to fly first class on his bi annual vacations.

The full carpet kit out of the UK for $800 sounds like the way to go though if you aren't a hands on sort person.

Remember, if you can't do it yourself it will have to be fitted into the car and that will add cost.

Whatever way you are still going to be more than 2k short of $3,300.

well, after due consideration - I am going to do this myself.  I have exhausted all avenues of suppliers for a 'kit' in Australia - and narrowed it down to two - Lakewell in the UK and AppBiz in the states.  AppBiz were about half the price, so enquired with them.  You wouldn't believe it - they do NOT do RHD Tiptronic sets - only RHD they have are for manuals.  There are two pieces that are different - front floor mat and pedal board.  They were not will to supply just the carpet and have me do those two - nor, after posting a youtube video to them mapping out all the measurements for the two pieces so they could do them that way.

So, off in a different direction - I sourced a supplier in Lilydale (VIC) that has very plush black carpet and a sample arrived today.  If anything, it is BETTER than the factory Sliverknit.  It is $48 per metre - on a metre wide roll.  So, will be ordering some tonight from them.  Given I still have all my old pieces (albeit covered in glue etc..) - it will be back to sitting kindergarten style on the shed floor with some scissors and cut the pieces out myself.  

Watch this space :)

So, off in a different direction - I sourced a supplier in Lilydale (VIC) that has very plush black carpet and a sample arrived today.  If anything, it is BETTER than the factory Sliverknit.  It is $48 per metre - on a metre wide roll.  So, will be ordering some tonight from them.  Given I still have all my old pieces (albeit covered in glue etc..) - it will be back to sitting kindergarten style on the shed floor with some scissors and cut the pieces out myself.  

Don't forget I paid $57USD  per 1 yard 60" wide for Sliverknit. You are paying $48 for 39" inch wide per 1 metre.

with the Sliverknit you get about 40% more. Admittedly you will have freight. 

The other may said to be better but the Sliverknit is original .

Also with the wider 60" roll you may get better usage of the carpet with less wastage. Might pay to check.

Sliverknit is nice to work if you are doing it yourself. 

That said you have to do it the way you prefer. 

Don't forget to let the PFA'ers know who your contact is in Lilydale.

Dave

well, after due consideration - I am going to do this myself.  I have exhausted all avenues of suppliers for a 'kit' in Australia - and narrowed it down to two - Lakewell in the UK and AppBiz in the states.  AppBiz were about half the price, so enquired with them.  You wouldn't believe it - they do NOT do RHD Tiptronic sets - only RHD they have are for manuals.  There are two pieces that are different - front floor mat and pedal board.  They were not will to supply just the carpet and have me do those two - nor, after posting a youtube video to them mapping out all the measurements for the two pieces so they could do them that way.

Will be interested to see how this plays out... I've read many a places that say the new sliverknit is much thinner and less dense than the OEM..  so please let us know when you get your carpet how it compares to OEM..

Guest hepkat63

yes, been really busy... done hush mat insulation, special sound proof foam and bought some carpet - I am photographing it all and will update this thread with my process - just flat stick at work so haven't had the time to crop/adjust/upload photos.

Guest hepkat63

Just thought I'd share where I am up to with the interior.    Grab a coffee (or beer) - and here we go....

When I bought the car, the interior was very clean and tidy.  The carpet was about 6/10 and probably didn't need replacing.   How this all started was someone whom was admiring my car said "well, it's a nice looking car, but wouldn't be as comfortable and quiet to drive as my Commodore".  Whilst he was probably right - it got me to thinking about making the inside of the car a little quieter.  Not that I minded the sound of the motor at all - in fact, just the opposite - however, when I had a passenger, it was a little difficult to hold a conversation at normal levels.  Given modern technology and sound proofing that is available, I thought I'd investigate further.

I found the 'hushmat' product to be the highest rated sound proofing on the market.  The general consensus is it is the best around, but it is expensive.  Essentially it is a sticky piece of 1/8" thick matting.   The idea is that you stick it directly to the metal of the car and it becomes a very effective sound deadener and heat insulation.

The sound pad in my engine bay was like most others - hopelessly falling apart - so that is where I started - out it came.  I asked the Hushmat rep in the states if I could put the hushmat in the engine bay - and he assured me I could - but it would be better to put it on the inside of the car.  So, that's what I did.

Of course, Porsche being the unique beast that it is - pulling out the carpet was a pig of a job - and I'll admit my ignorance here - that is is virtually a one way street.  Once you start pulling out the carpet - it rips, is glued like I've never seen before and generally a job that once you start , you wish you hadn't.

Looking around on other forums, I saw others going through the same hassle and all complained about the carpet - but more so the foam padding underneath.  Even after all these years - being stuck like nothing on earth.    The hushmat will stick to anything - so it really didn't matter if I removed all the foam (as others have done - even going as far as using solvent !).  I removed as much as I could and then simply stuck the hushmat over the top.  It was really quite easy - but time consuming.  I wanted to cover absolutely everything.

I initally bought two door packs, and two 'trunk' packs.  I thought that would be more than enough - alas... not so - I had to end up buying another two door packs.  So, with all that I managed to pretty much do the complete inside of the car and the inside of both doors too.

The difference is amazing - I haven't even put the interior back in (or gone for a drive obviously...) but the immediate difference is very apparent in-so-far as how 'solid' the car is.  Hard to explain, but there is no 'drumming' sound at all when you knock anything and the doors shut like my old '57 chevy used too !

Of course, everyone complains about adding weight !  Well, let me tell you  - that the foam I pulled out of the car (the original stuff) weighed a ton !  I really suprised me just how heavy it was.  I had a MASSIVE garbage bag and it was over-flowing with the stuff and I nearly had to use two people to take it to the rubbish bin !   I did not weigh the hushmat - but I think I would be correct , or close enough that i put about 1/3 the weight back into the car that I took out.

At that point, i had a decision to make.  I don't have children at home anymore - so no one was ever going to sit in the back seat - and even if they wanted too - (as I am sure you all know) those seats are paramount to useless.   I shopped around for a 'rear seat' delete package, but could not find one under $1000 anywhere - so I figured, i would put the back seats in, but remove the seat belts and rear wiper (am also tinting the back window whilst everything is out).   Of course, I could do like the RS america and just carpet the whole thing, but (in my personal opinion) i think it kind of looks crappy - and you might as well have the seats than some carpeted area - again, just my opinion and plenty disagree !).

Even though I had all the carpet pieces, they were pretty much stuffed (as above) - so what to do?  Replacement carpet sets as we have already discussed are pretty expensive - so I decided to just buy some in bulk and cut it up myself.  I found a place in Lilydale (VIC) that sold black plush carpet for $55AUD metre - but just before I bought - I found another place in Ringwood (VIC) that sold the same stuff for $28 per metre= - bargain !  So, I ordered six metres of the black plush pile.

Carpet arrived yesterday and I am very happy with it.  I cut out one piece and although the edges did fray - it is only a LITTLE and hardly noticeable - I am sure once I start fitting it - all will be ok.

I also decided to purchase some underlay foam.  I really debated doing this - not so much for the weight, but for the 'what for' factor.  I decided that it would also make the inside quieter (probably not needed), but also felt it would make installing the carpet a little easier.   This would be especially true in the drivers and passenger foot wells.

Well, that is where I am up too - I hope the following pictures tell my tale up till now... will post more as I go !

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

what is it like for noise reduction/price compared to dynamat? (which is what I've used in the past)

looks like a heck of a job and well done! I've been thinking about doing something similar but somehow jobs just keep stacking up in front of it

Guest hepkat63

what is it like for noise reduction/price compared to dynamat? (which is what I've used in the past)

looks like a heck of a job and well done! I've been thinking about doing something similar but somehow jobs just keep stacking up in front of it

Hi Russ,

I did plenty of research on this dynamat V Hushmat question and the consensus was that the hushmat was a far superior product - there is a lot of test info to back this up as well.  There is further advantages in-so-far as heat reduction is concerned and the hushmat literally sticks to anything.   

Guess it looks worse that it actually is to do - not that hard at all - just on the knees & squatting all the time ! 

I used Dynamat several years back with a view to cutting exhaust noise and keeping the Monty muffler.  Definitely cut down road noise but the Monty had to go.

Would be interested to know how well secured your floor mats are against the Hushmat.  If you glue them down, then no issue, but I left mine to remove for cleaning and they slid around a bit.  Tried several fastening options to secure the mats and ended up with a layer of that grip felt you use on house mats, works OK.

Guest hepkat63

I used Dynamat several years back with a view to cutting exhaust noise and keeping the Monty muffler.  Definitely cut down road noise but the Monty had to go.

Would be interested to know how well secured your floor mats are against the Hushmat.  If you glue them down, then no issue, but I left mine to remove for cleaning and they slid around a bit.  Tried several fastening options to secure the mats and ended up with a layer of that grip felt you use on house mats, works OK.

yes, used contact adhesive on the underlay.  Will be doing the same to the carpet - don't figure on having to rip it all up again anytime soon once I'm done !

Guest hepkat63

Hopefully you haven't tipped the scales at 2000kg with all that matting! ;)

umm... no !  See my first description comments - I would estimate I have reduced weight by at least half to two-thirds.

• 1 month later...

I recently replaced my front matts using a local company in Dandenong, VIC (Trufit, I have no affiliation or interest).

My carpet is plain black, so no patterns to match.

Trufit cut to my original pattern and did a good job for $65 total.

They placed extra underlay in where I wanted it to add comfort, left it off the sides and pedal area to make sure it sits well.

For some time, I have had issues with matts slipping.  This company stitches a hook type backing under the carpet and gave me a sheet that you stick to the floor pan which holds the matt firmly in place like a Velcro concept.  My drivers side matt sits solid as a rock now  :D

I would recommend their services for straight forward work at a very good price.

Archived