New kid. Long hood lust

John if you do despair in finding a longhood restomod project in OZ; I have a good mate and Porsche Anorak living in LA who may be able to help source/inspect a car for you.

let me know if you want his email.

BTW there is an early morning prayer meeting been held at the Kollektiv's place of worship - lonsdale st roasters (nth end) this Sat morning 7.30am. come along

John, I have a 911SC which is a great car and I am slowly, and gently, modifying it. Importantly, everything I have done can be reversed so I can return it original spec. So my thoughts, go for either an SC or 3.2 and modify that. if you absolutely must have a long hood, go the back date route.

The impact bumpers do grow on you :)

• 3 weeks later...

I went to sydney to look at the 911s at cts. But it was obvious at first glance that its not the car for me.

The red one? What's wrong with it? Look great in the pics. 

IMO you are making life hard for yourself with the LWB and RHD thing. $10K can be spent a lot of places that make a big difference. By converting from LHD to RHD you run the risk of ruining the driving experience and even if it's a perfect job, it makes zero difference to the performance. Most 912's went to the US. There are a truck load of decent ones available, but they are SWB and LHD. 

• 7 months later...

I haven't been on here for a while so I missed the last few replies.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions.

after about a year I have finally bought a car!

Basically (as suggested) everything I initially wanted had to go out the window but I'm very happy with my decision so far.

So I've travelled the states for the last month looking at Porsches across 9 states and found myself a 1968, LHD 912.

It needs a full resto.

Pics will follow over the next few days.

The plan is chase away the rust, keep it skinny and lhd, and find a 3.0 for it.

My favourite part is the original colour that it will get painted in again, 6801 slate grey.

John

Cal, the 911s I looked at was a orange one. I don't remember a whole lot about it except the paint job was awful. I think it was around $130k.

Roodog, yea the sc and 3.2 have certainly grown on me. That's how I convinced myself to stop worrying about rhd and a few other things I was hung up on, I realised I was trying to get too much out of this car purchase so I'll need to buy two Porsches; this swb to hot rod and a sc for a bit more of a regular driver.

It's a complete car minus engine.

That said I've picked up a better hood and signals and tail lights and bits as I've found stuff on my travels.

Needs floor pans and rockers which are coming from restoration design.

Archived