New kid. Long hood lust

Hi

I'm John. I've considered buying a 996 and 997 a couple times over the years but could never find the 'right' to make me pull the trigger.

I'm now very close to popping my porsche cherry but in the form of a 912.

I've wanted a long hood for a while. And think I would prefer a lwb car for the better handling.

I'm happy to hear people's thoughts on what I'm doing...

I want a car that I can use regularly and properly - highway trips, occasionally left outside overnight at motels, occasional track days etc

I also want my ideal car in terms of colour combo, wheels, engine, trans, bumpers etc rather than a perfect original example.

So this is what I'm doing...

Buying a lhd 912 lwb, having it converted to rhd (properly), bare metal respray in a non original colour, fibreglass non standard bars, 915 and probably 3.0, sports seats, susp etc etc

This

A) is a horrible way to spend $45k+ and ill end up with some horrible bitsa 912 that could never be sold

B) is a great idea, I won't be butchering a 911, will end up with a better quality car than trying to do the same with a 911 shell on the same budget and it will be my ideal early porsche

Longest first post ever?

I look forward to hearing people's thoughts.

Thanks

John

Welcome to the forum, you will find that it's a great place to share thoughts, kick around ideas and meet interesting people who love their Porsche cars.

My first thought would be  why convert to RHD ? that's just a way to quickly spend $10K to $15K (to do it properly)  and you only end up restricting your market for any future sales, after all there are many more LHD vehicles and countries in the world than right. Owning two LHD Porsche cars I cant see a reason to go through the whole hassle and expense and possible loss of marketability.

Thanks for the welcome!

I have friends with lhd muscle cars that I've driven plenty.

My reason for wanting to have rhd is partially that I'm not one to show off. I like my cars to somewhat blend in, car enthusiasts will look twice and everyone won't even notice.

Also, I want to use it semi daily. The mrs for starters won't want to hop in and I'd need to from time to time put clients in etc.

I do understand it will likely wind up less valuable than a factory rhd or lhd, and reduce the large world market, but I have simply come to the conclusion that I'm only interested in owning a rhd one at the moment...

The base 912 is costing a bit under 10k and the rhd swap is costing about 10k.

Does anyone know a good complete, rust free, accident free, factory rhd shell up to $20k?

Hi John, welcome to the forum!

My 2 cents.............. ;)

- 912's are only worth decent money in original order (non converted, correct engine etc.). 

- An early 911 (even slightly molested) will still be worth more (in most cases  :ph34r:)

Any money you spend fiddling with a 912 to make it anything other than how the factory intended needs to be understood as $$$ write off in terms of ever seeing it again if you ever decide to sell. Note, whilst they may appear cheaper than a 911 initially, any work (paint, body etc.) is no cheaper than doing a 911. 

So, my advice to you is if you want a long hood with plastic bumpers is to buy one with it already done. Something like this;

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1974/SSE-AD-2766704/?Cr=1&sdmvc=1

Underneath all that is actually an original long hood 911 that will still be worth something decent in years to come regardless of the conversion, wrong engine etc. 

So you can either spend 45k+ (and trust me you will spend more  B)) on a 912 still only worth 30-40k tops when complete or you can spend 50-60k on an actual 911 that will appreciate despite the modifications.

Sure many others will chime in, hope that is of some use. 

Cheers, Hugh.  

John

a 912 convert I like it.

Buy Alan Mcartneys (or something like this), 912/6 it is an OZ delivered RHD car, it is in 'tangerine orange' it has been well modded for track use already, looks tasty and is close to your budget or

buy a post 73 911 and backdate it up to a point that you can justify and then a bit more or

as Hugh suggests by someone else's handiwork

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1973/SSE-AD-2727929/?Cr=21&sdmvc=1

unless you want to undertake a project yourself.

by the way 912's can have a reliable 120hp made on the 616 engine and without been 'deeply' :blink:  expensive; though a typ1 or typ4 conversion can give you an easy reliable 150hp  - this will get you a fast road car that is light, well balanced and diverges a bit from the usual 'whack a 6 in it'...there are also kits out there to make the swap that bit easier and with a typ1 looks kinda stock.

John Benton's website in the US is a good place to have a look, check out John Willhoits resto of a 912 in leaf green B)

There is a bunch of go fast hot rod 912's out there in (Jeff Trasks yello 912R before it was writ off) and they are cool - 912's are appreciating in value and in the US and Europe for the right model can fetch over 60k - so think hard about a conversion; for the loss of originality and the unneccessary cost.

but its your money your car your fun

Also have a look on the 912BBS it is a great resource for the 912

cheers Michel

PS you will struggle to find an OZ delivered LWB 912.

there was one last year that came up for sale.Otherwise I have not seen one before that I remember

a SWB 912 is a great car

If your asking? A) it is a great way to waste money.. 

IMO it is a bad idea, buy one that someone else has put the money into for you, sounds like you want a hotrod? lucky for you the resale on those isn't particularly good compared to a nice stock example.. I love a hot-rod long hood too! Jack Olsens 72 is a good case in point.... back date is a very good idea too! 

I couldn't agree more with a lot of what is being thrown around, especially Hugh's 912 vs 911 valuation etc.

Two criteria are, needs to be rhd and I want to build it to spec the colour etc.

Obviously it would be great to start with a nice factory rhd 911.

I just can't help feeling I won't be able to find a factory rhd car and keep it close to budget.

And I think any 911 is goin to either be too good to modify (yeah I'd feel bad) or I'm gonna be messing around trying to salvage an ex race car or previous accident history rust bucket.

Where as I can find a crash free, fairly rust free lhd 912 to build for good money.

Plenty of ways to skin a cat and plenty of good points raised but I'm still thinking if I want to modify a long hood lwb car that doesn't have rust issues I have chosen the right path... I guess it's also a question of do I spend $45ish to have a 912 worth $35ish or do I spend $70ish to have a 911 worth $70ish

Thanks for all the input.

I'm in Canberra, any locals on here?

John Im in canberra as are a couple of others on the PFA

you are welcome to come along next time there is  a run; this usually occurs near weekly, though been a bit quiet lof late.

There are approx 50 people who keep in some contact mainly via email in canberra, who are running (mostly) pre 1986 cars. Of those approx 15 get together regularly. If you come along you'll get a good intro into earlier car ownership - whether orig long hood, backdate or tidy mid year cars

sent you a PM give me a call

I guess it's also a question of do I spend $45ish to have a 912 worth $35ish or do I spend $70ish to have a 911 worth $70ish

I guess we are all guilty of over analysing our car purchases and its nice to think we can mitigate our losses... but I think to some degree you should treat it like a fine wine, once you part with the money and the bottle is open then you will measure its worth by the good times it brings! 

in the end, you will be drunk off the wine and forget... a 911 will leave you intoxicated with good times & good feelings

buy what the heart wants and the wallet affords... :)

And remember whatever you decide on the project price ...add another 30% errr 40%+ cause there's always just something else that would be nice to have in the build. (speaking from experience)

Again congratulations in finding the forum...send photos when you get the wheels .

I agree its easy to over analyse purchases like this but that said if you do your research getting into a classic Porsche can be an enjoyable investment and can pay to take it seriously (within perspective).

Either way you are going to spend a considerable amount of money, best to at least be able to make an informed decision.

As a very interested Porsche enthusiast I understand your interest to get into an early 911, I just can't recommend a solid 912 as a good base for your project car - I just think it may be worth looking at other options. I say this to help you make an informed decision, please don't take it as a criticism.

All part of the fun searching for that special one!

Thanks for the replies.

I think it's simply going to come down to whether or not I can find a good solid rhd 911 coupe complete (can be minus engine) for around $25k to rebuild.

If not I'd need a lhd 911 for around $10k to allow for shipping and rhd swap (rhd is a must, sorry).

I've been scouring eBay, gumtree, the samba, pelican, pistonheads, autotrader etc. been looking at aus, nz, uk, us, africa etc.

Not having much luck. Everything seems to be survivor or restored and worth heaps. Or any 911 shells I've seen that are <$15k are always lhd I would consider too far gone. (Absolutely bare, need rollcage cut out, previous shitty accident repairs, way too much rust etc)

Can anyone point me to a suitable 911 shell before I have to settle for a 912?

You don't tend to find shells advertised that regularly, you may need to dig a bit deeper and get in touch with some Porsche body shops/spare part suppliers and see if they have any contacts? 

I don't know anyone in ACT, maybe some local members can help put you in touch. 

Thanks for the link edgy... I'm putting that into the equation.

I hadn't actually looked at the porsche club so I'm doing that now, thanks for the suggestion.

And your right Michel, the preference for lwb came purely from reading the opinions of people I've never met haha, and also being told lwb parts are often easier to find and cheaper than swb.

But the swb shape with no fender flares is absolutely gorgeous! And I'd happily put one in my garage!

And thanks Hugh, you've given me a couple ideas...

I think I've had to prioritise my search between

Minimal rust

No accident evidence

911 not 912

Factory rhd

Price

Whether its swb, lwb, factory colour combo, country of first delivery, matching numbers, sunroof or not, etc no longer even register on my radar, there's just not enough at sensible money to be picky.

So while being realistic, they are 45 year old sports cars with a reputation for spinning around and rusting, preference would be:

1) accident/rust free rhd 911 project for up to $25k

2) accident free rhd 911 needing maybe susp pan or floors etc ~$20k

3)accident/rust free lhd 911 project ~$12k

4) I think I'd prefer an accident/rust free lhd 912 up to $10 over a dog of a rusty lhd 911 for $10k??

Ill keep pursuing 1,2 and 3, but have a feeling ill end up on 4?!

John as we talked about last night I suggest you also advertise on the 901 forum and the club sites with also looking at print media - unique just cars etc

I think you will struggle to locate that elusive early orig RHD 911 for 20-25k unless it comes with a host of issues and or missing parts...BUT the occasional shed find still does occur; or you may luck it with someone who doesnt really know the early Porsche market (the WA LHD targa an example) puts up a car for sale.

Opt 4 if you are in a hurry is the likely scenario - typically though, no such thing as a rust free early car

Opt 4a find a good 912 LHD or RHD drive it for awhile then determine whether you want to drop that 6 in it; leave it as it is and fettle the cosmetics, handling etc or hot rod the 616 or engine swap it with a typ1 or 4

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update. The search continues...

I've responded to about 12 cars advertised. I've only managed to get responses from 4.

Most of these cars are os and privately listed and the sellers are generally useless. Ie cars advertised with coa but seller won't show me, sellers not providing vin numbers etc.

I've bought lots of cars and motorbikes, some internationally and never had this kind of frustration.

I went to sydney to look at the 911s at cts. But it was obvious at first glance that its not the car for me.

I'm getting more and more tempted to get a factory rhd sc and backdate it, as Michel suggested to me, but I will keep looking for a little longer for a 65-73.

Archived