Arrgh!

So I needed to shift the car out of the garage.  I move it forwards about 10 cms and hear a loud 'pop!'.  I thought, ugh, what was that sitting on the garage floor...

14002163320_982c21169f_z.jpg

Yep, person, animal or other entity unknown had knocked a full bottle of Mobil 1 off the shelf and it was sitting under the front wheel.  Oil explosion - oil *everywhere*.  I drove the car out onto the street for a degreasing session, degreased the garage floor, driveway, all through the car.   There is an oily tyre track going from my house right up the street where I drove the car after degreasing.

Multiple levels of frustration - wasted a brand new container of oil...made a mess of the garage...made a mess of the car...wasted an hour or so cleaning up....now I have oily stains on the concrete.

Oh well, at least it wasn't used oil, I guess.

HA !

Did the exact same on Good Friday !

However my victim was a bottle of ZYMOL pre wax claenser which i waited for two weeks to arrive from fleabay !!

End result...cracked the shits and booked it in for a detail, picking it up on Saturday!

Danny

Whats the thinking on this doing damage to suspension rubbers, tyres etc?  Just a good degrease or is there danger of rubber damage if the residue is left sitting everywhere?

High pressure hot water will get it off. Damn that sucks

Hmm...have no way of putting out high pressure hot water.  I suppose you need a pressure cleaner that can suck from a bucket.

HA !

Did the exact same on Good Friday !

However my victim was a bottle of ZYMOL pre wax claenser which i waited for two weeks to arrive from fleabay !!

End result...cracked the shits and booked it in for a detail, picking it up on Saturday!

Danny

Ugh...some car cleaning products set like concrete when they get dry.

Coaster use some dry cement if you can get on quick enough it will soak up the surface residue for starters. make sure its pure cement not the sand cement mix and leave for a couple of days then chisel off as it will go hard

Coaster use some dry cement if you can get on quick enough it will soak up the surface residue for starters. make sure its pure cement not the sand cement mix and leave for a couple of days then chisel off as it will go hard

That's a brilliant idea!! as dry cement sucks up anything because it's so dehydrated!! 

I just had a heavy shower of rain come through so I went and doused a lot of degreaser onto the concrete.   I did soak up a lot of excess with some sawdust I had (keep it on hand for spills during oil changes).  That did help...but I will have to wait and see what the concrete looks like after the rain passes now.  There area few spots where the water is beading so I guess there is oil there.  On the whole I think it won't be too bad... but we'll see how the car looks next time I get it on a hoist and after it has had the chance to collect some road grime to stick to the oily residue.

Hmm...have no way of putting out high pressure hot water.  I suppose you need a pressure cleaner that can suck from a bucket.

Try your local mechanic or car yard. They often have high pressure hot water/steam cleaning gear for detailing cars prior to work or sale. A bit of cash should get your car on the hoist for a thorough clean.

Archived