Tyres, Tyres & Tyres!! (semi slick)

I want to get a list of semi slick tyres and reviews happening for us consumers who are unsure of what tyre to use next change. 

The reason why i just want semi slick tyres is because normal every day sports tyres are so popular that there's so many of them to choose which will complicate this list. (might post another thread for that)

There are a fair bit of semi slicks to choose from now days so now it gets harder to choose. 

Some people want best bang for buck or some people don't care on price and want the best. 

Whats the best? Some might ask. 

Some might use google to help search but end up on a DSM or JDM forum with "know it all" who cheap out on to many things giving advice. 

I've always had trust in the Porsche owners with decisions because more are older and mature with choices in that respect and obviously you're driving the car!! 

Note: The tyre review doesn't have to be driven on the porsche!!

If you fill out this little form for each tyre (semi slick only) you've used, It'll be very resourceful

Examples are in red. 

Brand:  goodyear

Make:  Eagle F1 Supercar G: 2

UTQG:  220 AA A

Sizes used:  225/40 R18 & 265/35 R18)

average price per tyre:  (price)

k's until worn:  10,000 ks

driving conditions: track, street, STM

comments: grip, wet, pros, cons, noise. how do they wear ect.

Will you use them again: (Yes or No)

UTQG codes explained

I'll create a small list of tyres commonly used and you can fill that out and post, i'll update the list.

Thanks!

Pauly. 

First hand experience only please. What your mate said about tyres is not what i'm after.

List:

Brand: Dunlop

Make:  Direzza ZZI

UTQG:  200 A A

Sizes used:  

average price per tyre: 

k's until worn / Condition of use:  

comments: 

Brand: Falken

Make:  RT615

Sizes used:  

average price per tyre: 

comments: 

Brand: Kumho

Make:  KU36

UTQG:  180 AA A

Sizes used:  

average price per tyre: 

comments: 

Brand: Hankook 

Make:  Ventus R-SV3 v2

Sizes used:  

average price per tyre: 

comments: 

**More will be added from info given in comments**

Tried Dunlop, Falken semi slicks over the years. They were all fine.

Then I tried Toyo R888s - very good on road and on track, wear pretty well, well priced, readily available. Ran these on a Datsun 1600 (limited road use, lots of track use) and a 400hp/tonne Westfield clubman (lots of road and track). These became my default choice. Both cars ran 205 15s.

Yokohama A048 medium compound.

First experience with R spec tyres. :)

Used for 3 track days so far after previous outings on road tyres. What a difference! Up to temp quickly. Very consistent grip which equals confidence to brake later and carry more speed in the corners. Minimal wear showing after approx. 200 km's on track.

Road use has been only to/from the track. Once in heavy rain. A bit dicey in pooled water at highway speed but generally ok.

• 2 weeks later...

Yokohama A048 medium compound.

First experience with R spec tyres. :)

Used for 3 track days so far after previous outings on road tyres. What a difference! Up to temp quickly. Very consistent grip which equals confidence to brake later and carry more speed in the corners. Minimal wear showing after approx. 200 km's on track.

Road use has been only to/from the track. Once in heavy rain. A bit dicey in pooled water at highway speed but generally ok.

Thanks! i've heard a lot of good with these. pricy?

I know the a050 are the WTAC tyre.

Probably not what you want but interesting.

http://www.tyretest.com

Not what i'm after, but some good info.

Thanks! i've heard a lot of good with these. pricy?

I know the a050 are the WTAC tyre.

Not what i'm after, but some good info.

I got them on special at Traction tyres, Rowville for around 250 each. rrp about $400

I got them on special at Traction tyres, Rowville for around 250 each. rrp about $400

Have just done the same for this weekend - the weather is not filling me with hope for sunshine and didn't want to risk it. 

Have just done the same for this weekend - the weather is not filling me with hope for sunshine and didn't want to risk it. 

They are surprisingly grippy, even on a damp/wet surface.  Stay out of the puddles and you'll be fine. 

Archived