Phillip Island Circuit Info

Hi all

I'm hoping to head to the Island for the Shannon's Nationals this weekend. Will be taking the whole family and have never been to the circuit before. I'm after some help on where would be the best viewing spot. We're after somewhere we can lay out a picnic rug, preferably not too far from toilets. Are you able to park the car next to the track like you can at Sandown? I've got a copy of the circuit map and it looks like there's a ring road around the circuit but I can't tell if its for the public or not.

PI is a great spectator track. You can walk all the way around it, and there's a good viewing spot every few meters.

Down the Siberia end is good as the crowds are thinnest and the corners are great to watch.

Best outfield viewing is at the northern end of the circuit closest to the road that runs past, you can see I think it's turn 11 (MG corner in the olden days from memory) which is the slow right hander before the long sweeping left back onto the main straight. Speeds are a bit slower due to the sharp right hander and then speed builds through the sweeper. You can also go down the eastern side to turn 6 where you can see the whole bottom part of the circuit including the other slow corner at turn 4 (BP from the olden days too I think) Main straight isn't so good as the speeds are too fast to see much and the hill/curve of the track also blocks too much of the straight view. These are all outside the track spots. Plenty of good viewing from the infield, that's a muchhhhh shorter walk to check the different corners, I would guess about a quarter of the distance compared to walking the outside. If you can go infield, you will see heaps and can maybe check the pits as well, not sure about the pit layout as I haven't been to a historic meet there for many years. Enjoy your weekend! Best track in Australia for safe racing. It will be cold though, that's a given.

Yes you will be able to park up nice and close trackside. Very accessible.

Best options

(1) If you want to set up and stay put in the same place all day, plonk your car and picnic blanket at turn one on the main straight. There will be a lot of passing there and it is proper quick. Normally a few lap one shunts as ten don't fit into three spaces. You get an excellent view of turns 2-3 as well as see the cars brake into the hairpin at Honda corner and go back away towards Siberia. There are toilets close.

(2) if you are happy to move around I would literally just start anywhere on the outside and watch a race, the move to the next corner, watch a race, move on. There are just so many corners and great spots, you really want to see as many as possible.

(3) park on the outside and cross the bridge on the main straight and go check out the pits (will be free). You can then access some great viewing points being on top of the pit garages roof (free), walk to the inside of honda corner, and also walk to the end of the pits and access the inside of the exit of lukey heights where you can get up quite close.

As others have said great track, but the best spot is blipping back a gear from top into turn one at just over 200 and loading it up side by side with another nutcase...... Gets the heart pumping.

Thanks for your help guys. I'd love to be able to just walk around the track but it will be a bit hard with the kids. Is it possible to drive around the road that goes around the track then just plonk ourselves wherever looks good? Note this is a very small event. There was barely anyone at the Sandown event.

Thanks for your help guys. I'd love to be able to just walk around the track but it will be a bit hard with the kids. Is it possible to drive around the road that goes around the track then just plonk ourselves wherever looks good? Note this is a very small event. There was barely anyone at the Sandown event.

Yes you can drive around on the (dirt) ring road, however around the back of the curcuit part of it is one way only.(same direction as the racing)

Yes you can drive around on the (dirt) ring road, however around the back of the curcuit part of it is one way only.(same direction as the racing)

Sweet, thanks. Now fingers crossed the weather is ok. I'm loving the GT Championship at the moment. The sound of the Ferrari 458 at full noise is pretty nice but the AMG SLS brings a tear to my eye.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, should have reported back. Wow! What an awesome track! We arrived just in time for Carrera Cup. We camped ourselves on the second last bend where you could see them coming down the hill into the right hander and then hammer it round the sweeping lefts. Got the picnic rug out and had a feast. Lots of action in that race which kept everyone amused. We also watched the start of the GT championship from there then we headed around to turn one which is unbelievable good. The cars are at full noise as they reach the end of the straight. Then you can watch them from turn one to about turn 6. And you have a great view of the ocean. Will definately be going to more events down there.

Archived