Is the 'S' worth it ?

Early S values .... hot by current sales, interest and listed prices

Always a solid contender in the 'I have' card game played out at every SMT and late night chat room - but why, are they really worth the $269k been asked for admittedly a very tasty S with factory sports purpose mods in the US.

Should i be kicking myself for not buyin the beautiful 'Apollo7 slate grey 67s' for sale back in '08 for 89k?...

Or just get on with my driving ;)

http://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/showthread.php?101064-1969-Porsche-911S-Coupe

We can all play I remember when - but it wasn't that long ago when an RS could be had for 200k

Halo or hailstorm?

Any performance exotic will be valuable when produced in low numbers and especially when prone to rust or accident (a side effect of performance and tail-happiness)

I'd be kicking myself Michel! Even when the "50 years of 911" hubbub has died down , these will regarded as prime investment "vehicles".

Are they worth it? If you had a boatload of spare cash then yes, but then you probably wouldn't enjoy driving it too much lest your 'investment' get dinged or bent or rear-ended. Most of your time would be spent polishing it and talking about it rather than actually driving it. Your beautiful and collectible S would ultimately become a static display, deprived of its primary purpose.

And if you had bought one a decade ago for a relative pittance would you be keeping it today or selling it? You could probably pay off your mortgage or buy a bigger house and still have enough left over for a beautiful long hood which doesn't have an S on the back.

Me personally I don't aspire to anything more than my 79SC. I got the car I always wanted and I love it to bits. Best you get on with enjoying what you have!

Ive never thought of the early 911 as an  'exotic' a desirable yes.. a very coool dual purpose sports car...but never exotic...

for me one of the joys of porsche ownership has been the varied ownership group I have met and I can say hand on heart ;) particularly so with the core group who inhabit the kollektiv - drivers/tinkerers/knobs i love em all. :wacko:

but is there a tipping point, here most evident with the S, but will it also drag the lesser models eventuallty into the realm where only the priveleged 5% can afford to buy maintain own let alone drive it.

while i thought about the 67s back in 08 I dont have any real regret - however i am now yearning for a few more ponies from my T

...... I don't aspire to anything more than my 79SC. I got the car I always wanted and I love it to bits. Best you get on with enjoying what you have!

“Happiness is self-contentedness.” - Aristotle

Archived