SteamWolf

Hi all,

I'd like to start a thread specifically around transaxles.  We all know the order of progression of 901, 915 and G50, but it's a good place to explore the nuances of these things.

Also, I have been reading up on the G50 conversions for earlier P cars and I know Uncle has as well.

I'm interested to know if the diff on the Boxster box can be flipped (either the 2.5/2.7 or the 3.2 6sp).

Did you know the early Boxster transmission can be had for about $1200? Also, the Audi A4/B4 is the same box, but with different ratios, and can be had for $180? lol

So, you can see where I'm going with this! Fun times ahead.

The threads I read it involved shortening the input shaft, machining 24mm from the bellhousing, lopping off the front mount, cutting the torsion tube out and running coil overs with additional bracing.  No small task!

I'm interested to know if the diff on the Boxster box can be flipped (either the 2.5/2.7 or the 3.2 6sp).

Did you know the early Boxster transmission can be had for about $1200? Also, the Audi A4/B4 is the same box, but with different ratios, and can be had for $180? lol

So, you can see where I'm going with this! Fun times ahead.

'THOU SHALT NOT DISCUSS WATER COOLED HEATHEN ON THE AIR COOLETH FORUM"   B) 

The threads I read it involved shortening the input shaft, machining 24mm from the bellhousing, lopping off the front mount, cutting the torsion tube out and running coil overs with additional bracing.  No small task!

sheesh, bracing and converting to coilovers is an expensive task all on it's own, before you even get to the gearbxo stuff..

Don't forget early 76/7 930 short case 915 4 speeds. They in themselves are a major gearbox event. A gearbox built for one reason, with no care given to "customers" or road going drivability. The only thing that mattered was 24 hours of the a big looooong straight in france once a year.  

Archived