964 Suspension on early car?

Nein_11

Hi Guys,

Been away for a little trying to raise some funds and get my ideas settled for my build.

A side note, I have done plenty of searching and haven't been able to locate a build anywhere where someone has used a complete 964 suspension set up bolted onto an older shell. Is this possible?

I would like to run coilovers and this seems like a relatively good way to do it!

Cheers, Nico

I think the consensus would be to find a 964 shell and bolt some older panels onto it, rather than trying to find an early torsion tube car, and bolting on coil suspension.   This is one of the reasons Singer uses 964s as donor cars.

Thank's for the quick response Coastr!

The thing is I already have the old girl and as I have begun working on her am falling in love... Would rather convert to coilovers if possible (Without the elephant racing bill shock) and get to keep her! Also 964's are out of my price range at the present moment :(

Well I am not an expert on suspension, and I'm sure there is always a way to get what you want.   Plenty of people with older cars have got theirs exactly how they want without ditching torsion tubes - I'm sure someone can suggest the best way forwards.  

look at elephant racing and places like that heaps of people running coil overs on these old cars and to be honest there is nothing wrong with torsion  bars you can run them in conjunction with your coil overs.

Neon_11 it's funny you should ask.

I was talking a similar talk with one of the technician's here at Autohaus Hamilton yesterda, looking at the underneaths of a 993, and asking essentially the same question that you are asking.

It's a non-trivial task, because there are subframes that the suspension is attached to on the 993 and 964, and the suspension arms are very different to those on a 911 so it's not simply a question of moving the later car's coilover shocks across.

It would be far, far easier to install a coilover conversion kit to your car than to try and move a 964 setup across to your car.

As you're on the Northern Beaches, come along to Cars and Coffee at Cavallinos on Sunday morning. I'm expecting the Autohaus Hamilton "Group 4" car will be there, and you'll be able to have a look at how we set that car up.

As ozracer has said though, there is nothing wrong with torsion bars. So I will ask a question: what is your reason for wanting to go to coilovers?

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the responses!

Oz Racer, I have looked into the coilover conversions and it looks like that will be the easiest way to do it.

Clutch Monkey, As for the rigidity of the chassis I am about to drop the engine and I'm already doing floorpans, rear window quarter sills, rear shelf and a couple of other repairs and will reinforce the rear suspension mounts while I'm in there so I feel like I should have a pretty strong starting point to base my suspension around.

JustJames, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with silly ideas... I was at the premier for "Living the Porsche" and have been to a couple of the Cavallino meets to drool on the Group 4 car. I'll be up again this weekend so it would be great to put a face to the name.

This time ill stick my head under the car to check out the suspension set up!

The idea of coilovers came from a "lack of knowledge" in a way... I am used to owning cars with coilovers and have found great adjust-ability with them in the past.

This is my first Porsche and since owning it I have discovered a lot more molestation by the previous owner than originally expected, for that reason I have given up on trying to renew its past and instead to build something I can enjoy to drive and track.

It is a 68 but already has alloy trailing arms and a more modern front steering set up as well, I plan on upgrading to 968 (Boxster) brakes and running larger wheels to go with the turbo flares and will most likely end up running a 930/964 style front and rear bumper as sadly she was converted to short hood in 1986.

So to not drag it on too much I want something that handles and stops as well as it possibly can, I was under the impression that coilovers would be the best solution.

I appreciate all and any feedback, I'm here to learn!

Can anyone explain the benefits of coilovers over torsion bars?

From the top of my head:

- forces exerted on different parts of the car.

- progressive rate springs?

- axis/arc of compression (Laterally instead of longitudinally)?

- heigh easier to adjust on the fly (adjustable spring perches)?

Also, on a '68, you'd think that would alter the driving experience people love so much in those older cars?

Tit, sadly shes been altered so much already it would be almost impossible to take it back to how it would be... Or maybe my wallet just isn't big enough!

Russ, progress has been slow lately as I'm waiting on my new metal. The whole interior has been stripped back and primed ready for the patch panels and I'll try and grab some pic's tonight if the lighting is good.

i do think coilovers are superior (comparing 964 to my car- though there's probably a lot of geometry black wizardry in there for the 964) but it's a lot of money for a few poofteenths advantage- definitely where you start getting into diminishing returns territory.

definitely uprate the torsion bars and play with bushings and bracing etc, as a bit of tweaking and you'd be hard pressed to notice any inferiority to coilovers.

that said-

i've personally never cared much for adjustablitiy though- usually just set it up  right once and go!

Archived