HYPOTHETICAL THE ULTIMATE 928

MB911

I'm on a bit of a 928 binge at the moment. 

The boys and I had a few beers last night and started discussing the ultimate realistic 928 build. 

Parameters:

• Must be able to be built and street legal in Australia
  • Must take less than 2 years to build
  • Must come in at under $50k
  • Must make about 500 ish HP

One of the boys suggested a sacrilegious (but interesting) build: 6.0 litre Chevolden out of a Commodore, Vortex supercharger, 6 speed Commodore manual box.

Any suggestions as to your ultimate 928?? Come on Tazzieman and Uncle you must be up for it? 

There's a few builds i've seen on rennlist of 928s. some stroked ect to 6-7L NA running good power. and some boosted ones. 

If you had a 4.8L 16v out of a 928, with similar logic i have on my engine. head work and custom cam shaft able to rev to 7500rpm. 

and with the same logic from that stroker build to bump the bottom end strength and increase the capacity. Your power goals are achievable :)

Porsche built the 928s V8 with an eye to possible turbocharging ; I suspect US legislation stymied that as well.

But boys will be boys

Company already doing twin turbos  or there is the stroker ($US20k) +/- supercharger route.

Maybe a little NOS and you will get over 1000hp like the Armageddon guy. But I think >50k to ensure the engine lasts more than one run.

The basic platform lends itself very well to engine mods. Unlike the 944 the cars are inherently more complex , say electrically. But someone like Uncle has no fear of electrics so he might be tempted to relieve a V8 itch one day.

I have in my mind:

A black manual 1988 S4 with 19 inch simmons rims, appropriately throaty 3 inch high flow exhaust, vortex stage 2 supercharger and basic supporting engine mods, nothing crazy, about 500 odd at the flywheel. 

I have in my mind:

A black manual 1988 S4 with 19 inch simmons rims, appropriately throaty 3 inch high flow exhaust, vortex stage 2 supercharger and basic supporting engine mods, nothing crazy, about 500 odd at the flywheel. 

Yep that should pass daily driver muster nicely. Close neighbours , perchance?

If a good late 80's S4 in the right colour comes up we'll see how we go...

Yeah, I think I would need an exhaust with a remote control so I could quieten it at 6am when I leave for work and open it right up when it's time to play. 

how do you turn a commodore gearbox into a transaxle?

i think the GTS is the ultimate 928, and after the drive i did on the New England and road between Walcha and Warchope over the past week i'm really thinking i'd like a V8 engined GT car again

Not sure what I could do with another 600hp. It would be like Arnie at a table tennis match.

From that thread "faster than a Veyron" , lol 200kg heavier than a normal 928 due mostly to ballast over the rear wheels.

@10s , this is what it's all about (even in the wet)

Archived