Whats this oil line?

Stew F

Under my engine there is this oil line. As you can see, it has sprung a leak and sprayed oil everywhere. What is it for, and what sort of fitting is on the end that is leaking?  What will I need to get (if anything) to fix it?

Capture10_zps1facdf11.jpg

Thanks.

Stew,

Isn't that line connected to your exhaust crossover? Sorry I can't quite see clearly.

(If that's the case it's probably a line for emission reasons and the cause of the oil slick is probably from on top of the motor. Caledonia has just posted a good thread on solving oil leaks that you may find useful.)

Stew

That line is the EGR line that goes from the top of the engine (at the CIS petrol distributor) down to the exhaust crossover pipe.

When oil leaks from the oil cooler & above, it falls onto this line, but that line doesnt have oil inside it.

I suggest you get a few cans of cheap spray on degreaser and spray up everywhere under that corner of the motor and then give it a good squirt with the hose to clean off . Might help to take off the rear wheel to get in closer. 

You may have a big leak from the top of the motor at the back which is running down there, or your oil cooler seals may have broken. Maybe your oil cooler itself has spring a leak?

Once you have it better cleaned up you can get a much better idea of where the oil is getting out & then you can get advice on how to fix it. be very careful if you drive it any distance.

Peter in Melb,

Thanks fellas.  I'm going to book it in for a service on Monday.  I'll get them to have a look.  I just noticed a small puddle of oil on the ground the other day, so it must have just happened recently.  I will still give it a clean tomorrow.

Cheers.

The surgeon said it's definitely a leak in the top, and appears to be the oil thermostat.  I was going to do it myself, but we decided to book it in and just get it done.  So they will do the o ring, oil switch, check the oil lines and cooler seals, and adjust the clutch while it's there.

Can't wait til it's done so I can drive the wheels off it again.

Did the workshop tell you how they were able to workout where the oil was coming from?

Did they just rely on their experience, or could they get a look in there somehow & see it?

I have been thinking I might get a Borescope and wondered if thats how shops use them.

Peter Melb.

• 2 weeks later...

So the car went in Monday morning.  Engine out and the diagnosis was pretty spot on, except for a few other bits.

• Oil thermostat o ring
  • Crankcase breather pipe
  • Oil light switch
  • Rear main seal
  • Clutch plate
  • Release bearing
  • New spark plugs
  • General clean up

Hopefully it'll be ready to pick up tomorrow. 

Archived