Stray nut found in engine chamber.

deankat

While cleaning the engine bay I accidentally pulled out the spark plug boot. I couldn't put it back in so I got the phone out to look inside and found a stray nut inside the chamber. Once the nut was out the boot went straight back in how it did before and the car runs fine. Any ideas what this could be?

http://vid1147.photobucket.com/albums/o551/deankat1/MOV_4179MOV_zps52dd94c1.mp4

http://vid1147.photobucket.com/albums/o551/deankat1/MOV_0535MOV_zps3380c651.mp4

Cheers, Dean

• 1 month later...

Just as a follow up for the record. This nut was in fact from the head stud. It had worked its way loose. The workshop checked all nuts on that side of the motor and every single one required re-torquing. Oddly enough the 2.7 lt motors right hand side bank of head blocks and there accompanying nuts were all on spec therefore did not require further torquing. Doesn't look like there is any lasting damage, no leaks detected so we are back on the road.

Just as a follow up for the record. This nut was in fact from the head stud. It had worked its way loose. The workshop checked all nuts on that side of the motor and every single one required re-torquing. Oddly enough the 2.7 lt motors right hand side bank of head blocks and there accompanying nuts were all on spec therefore did not require further torquing. Doesn't look like there is any lasting damage, no leaks detected so we are back on the road.

does your workshop have much experience with the 2.7 engine?

i'm never going to even check the head stud torque through fear of pulling the studs out of the case

good to know the souce of the nut too

Hey Russ. The garage owner used to race a Porsche a while back.

His lead mechanic told me he went round and torqued at 20 pounds first, then 22 and finally 25.

This to me sounded like someone that knows how to avert danger.

My heart was in my mouth knowing what could have been.

Very happy with the outcome myself.

Archived