Oil line repair

Just wondering if anyone has had experience dealing with the two oil lines running from the engine/oil tank to the external thermostat (right rear wheel arch). Mine have been weeping at the crimps for a long time but now are dripping and making a mess. I see there are replacement lines available but thought it might be better (read cheaper) to get them rebuilt with new hose and crimps locally.

Thoughts?

I looked at those last time I was under the car (after reading a thread on here) I'm sure those mobile guys like ENZED or Pirtek could do it for you onsite.

Although I can guess which out of those you'll pick lol

I'm suffering a weeping crimp too on one of my lines and am planning to replace with a genuine style replacement since I want to retain the original look. 

The price of a new line isn't too bad but I understand the critical bit is actually undoing the connections from the thermostat without destroying the threads on the thermostat housing.  I understand many people actual cut the nut to protect the housing.

I'm pretty sure they'd be like my ones from my oil cooer to oil filter. You should be able to re use the fittings and get new lines crimped on with new crimps. 

Pirtek can do it. any hydraulic fitting place can do it for you. 

I couldn't re use mine because the hard line was bent before the rubber. I ended up using speed flow fittings and made braided lines. ended up similar price as Porsche replacements (pelican prices + shipping) so i still saved a few $$$$

Just wondering if anyone has had experience dealing with the two oil lines running from the engine/oil tank to the external thermostat (right rear wheel arch). Mine have been weeping at the crimps for a long time but now are dripping and making a mess. I see there are replacement lines available but thought it might be better (read cheaper) to get them rebuilt with new hose and crimps locally.

Thoughts?

This was how my ones looked when i bought the car.

file-6.jpg

file-5.jpg

file-4.jpg

Ended up cutting the nuts with a Dremel after days of heat and WD 40 they would not budge, took about 30 min to cut them off.

file-16.jpg

Russ mentioned Enzed and Pirtek who can replace the crimps and hoses but they (Pirtek i think) quoted me $280 to do one hose and i paid less then $200 for both pipe new from PP. 

The thermostat is the risky part because if you stuff it your up for a $450 dollar part and you still have to get the metal pipes off the other side.

Got plenty of cutting discs for my Dremel if you need to borrow it..

file-26.jpg

file-27.jpg
file-25.jpg

Archived