Replacement Brake Pads (AND ROTORS)

Hi All,

The brake ware warning light came on the car on Sunday's SMT so I need to buy some new pads.

Car has just clicked 35 kms so I'm guessing these were the originals  

I've looked back thru some forum history and still have some questions.

The car is not my DD so its just fun cruising and SMT's.  I might do a track day here or there at some point but that's not a large part of its intended use.

So based on "fast road / little track"  what brand of pads would you suggest?

I've had a look at PP and they have the "Cool Carbon Brake Pad Set"  do I want these?

Am I going to notice any difference?

Of course in a perfect world I'd like some more bite, less brake dust on my wheels but I don't want to chew through rotors and I don't want race pads that are too temperature / performance related.

BUGGER

Just checked the rotors and while I am not mechanical they did seem to have a lip on the edge.

so maybe I'm up for them as well?

All donations of advice will be gratefully accepted  

PPS anyone know if I can put S brakes on my standard car? worth it?

BUGGER

Just checked the rotors and while I am not mechanical they did seem to have a lip on the edge.

so maybe I'm up for them as well?

They have a wear limit (sometimes inscribed on the disc) ; just a matter of getting a micrometer on them. If OK , you might get away with machining them a little. But depending upon brand of discs , the machining labour is nearly as much as new discs, esp if you install yourself.

+1 what the tazman said.

I've used EBC trackday pads on my 911 for the past couple of years. Very happy with them.  They do exactly what the box says. Excellent cold braking (essential on the street) and they've taken a pounding on the track.  I wouldnt go back to standard pads even just for road use.

excellent, sounds good.

Much brake dust?

Do they chew rotors?

Brake dust isn't a big problem.  There is a bit, but on black centred wheels it isn't noticable.  Besides, it gets washed regularly so it doesnt get a chance to build up.  Rotors are still pretty good as far as I can tell, I will check them properly this week when I swap back to road wheels.

Just a heads up on the brake warning light, the light can come on early in wet weather which I've experienced after car washing and on the wetter days including on the way down to SMT (was off whilst during it).

When the light comes on you should be good for a while still depending on how heavily and often you use your brakes including whether you assist them with some engine braking. I've done over 1000km since the light first started coming on. I'll be swapping pads out next month before the next SMT.

Ah thank you Mike good heads up

The light doesn't come on straight away I got most of the way home before it came on a 2nd time

In any case I know they are low so I guess I can start the search process

I am waiting for delivery of 4 x brake rotors for my 964. They are in Sydney at the moment and hopefully will be delivered this week.

I did a lot of research and bought from a US company called New Part.com http://www.new-part.com/ The main reason I went with these people was the low freight cost - around $45. Also the price was much better for the Zimmerman/Sebro discs than I could find here

These are the OEM option http://www.new-part.com/product/set-2-cross-drilled-front-disc-brake-rotors-porsche-boxster-cayman-911

but there are other options including complete kits rotors and pads http://www.new-part.com/product-list?search_api_views_fulltext=boxster+2007+brake+rotors

Hi Twood,

I'll go "clicking" thank you for the info

My pleasure and hope you have some good results. Watch the freight-that is the killer.

If I can help further PM me. My rotors are in Brisbane now - I just have to be patient and wait for delivery. My rotors cost under $600 for the 4 -I estimate that was around a $400-$500 saving

Do they chew rotors?

Short answer- no

I just put the mic on my discs. All between 19.72 & 19.75mm. Minimum thickness is 18.0 rr 18.5 frt. The beginnings of a lip on all four discs with even wear all around. I think that's after about 10k of road commute/SMT and 7 or 8 track days.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived