964 air con guru in Melbourne ?

chrisheal

Hi All,

My  mechanic cannot seem to fix my air con in my 91' 964 C2...

It has been pressure tested, leak dye tested and re gassed 3 times with the following items being replaced in between all that  - the tx valve, receiver dryer ,o-rings, the compressor and clutch etc...

Is there someone in Melbs who is known for their ability to help get these air cons going ??

964 & 993 air-con are almost identical.

A couple of important questions.............

Is your mechanic familiar with this air-con system?

What is actually the problem?

Interesting to see that the evaporator, which is the most common failure point , has not been changed.

Good reading here............

http://www.porschehvac.bergvill.com/

As stated my mechanic is not familiar enough with these air cons, he has altered a few things as he states some repairs were done incorrectly in the past.

It just blows hot air now , I've spent nearly 2k trying to fix.

I wish i knew what the problem was as then it would be an easy fix.

Sooo.... can anyone recommend a guy who can help ??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Now that the weather is warming up, I'm not sure if the A/C in my 964 is up to scratch.

The previous owner had the evaporator replaced in 2011 where the unit was re-gased. The unit does blow out 'cool' (and not hot) air but it certainly is not cold. It does not have the capabilities to keep cool in the heat and I am better off with the windows down.

Am i expecting too much from a 24 year old A/C unit or should the 964 be able to blow out refrigerated air?

Could a re-gas fix this or has 3 years since the last re-gas not been long enough? 

haha had the number pre-dialed in the phone but thought I would post first before wasting either his or my time.

Does a 964 A/C actually blow out cold air or is it just coolish?

If others (yours?), does blow out cold air then mine is under performing and I will pay a visit to SV!

Hi poli,

The 964 air con definitely has the capacity to work effectively and blow cold air.

As you have had your evaporator replaced only 3 years ago then I'm sure its not a big issue to fix which I'm sure Steve at SVAuto could solve quickly.

I'm booked in on the 8th of December to have my evaporator replaced, Steve diagnosed this as the problem. 

I sourced a new behr evaporator for $380 which I thought was pretty good.

Hi poli,

The 964 air con definitely has the capacity to work effectively and blow cold air.

As you have had your evaporator replaced only 3 years ago then I'm sure its not a big issue to fix which I'm sure Steve at SVAuto could solve quickly.

I'm booked in on the 8th of December to have my evaporator replaced, Steve diagnosed this as the problem. 

I sourced a new behr evaporator for $380 which I thought was pretty good.

964 A/C can blow cold air, not super cold, just kinda cold, cold.  Your Paddle Pop would still melt in your lap.

Thanks both, good enough answer for me to believe my A/C could be better.

WIll ring SV and make an appointment. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up my car from SV Auto.

First thing, Steve could not be a better, more knowledgeable guy. What a legend.

Second thing, A/C is blowing our damn cold air, that guy is a guru!

Thanks for the tip KGB! 

Highly recommend SV Auto. 

Archived