Painting my garage floor

MFX

Hi guys,

I am new around here, and although I don't have a P car yet, I have permission from the boss to start looking for one. But first things first was to get a garage sorted out for my toys.

We recently moved into this house with an intention to stay (for a few years at least), and I thought if I am going to put in a garage, I am going to do it properly. We are on over a half an acre in the Southern Highlands, but the block is on a fair slope so with a bit of creative designing I managed to put in a garage which is 7m x 12m.  So it is effectively an oversized 4 car garage. My plan is to have room to actually park the 2 daily drivers under cover, so hopefully no more scraping ice off the windscreens in the very cold winter mornings. That will leave room for a workshop with a hoist in one back corner and the other back corner will be a "dirty room". The dirty room being part paint booth/ welding room/ woodworking room, basically a place where I can make a mess with dust extraction, so the cars don't get covered in paint/ dust, etc.

So I have now had the garage for about 6 weeks but I haven't been able to use it because first things first, I need to paint the floor and that required the new slab to cure properly first.

I did a bit of research of what paint to use, and in the end I decided the most durable would be a 2 pack epoxy industrial quality paint. The paint I used was Dulux Durabuild STE.

Before I could paint the floor has to be cleaned and prepped. I gave it a good clean with a high pressure washer. The floor then needed to be etched. They recommend to use a diamond grinder to grind back the surface, but as it was a brand new slab (and I could be bothered) I opted for the next best thing which is using a a concrete etch powder. The powder is just mixed with water and then broomed over the floor. It looks like soda water when it is pushed around and after 20mins I washed it all off. I could see that it took the top layer off of the concrete and made it porous.

post-1887-0-06382700-1411532620_thumb.jp

post-1887-0-98392600-1411532660_thumb.jp

post-1887-0-95644800-1411532669_thumb.jp

post-1887-0-77401900-1411532688_thumb.jp

post-1887-0-44202200-1411532704_thumb.jp

post-1887-0-34352100-1411532720_thumb.jp

post-1887-0-10941600-1411532738_thumb.jp

So once the floor was clean and I left it for a day to dry, I mixed the hardener into the paint ready to finally start painting. 

I cut in first around the poles and at the doorways with a brush, then I went through with a roller and did the rest. The paint is quite thick, and heavy to work. It took me about 2 hours to do the first coat. Much longer than I expected, but it looked good. 

After 24 hours I went back through and did the second coat, this time it was much quicker, but it still took me about an hour to do. 

Now I am up to the long 7 day wait before I can drive on it and start setting it all up. Considering I first ordered the shed and applied to council back in December it has been a very long wait and it is great to see the end is near.

Hopefully this is useful to someone as i did some searches for peoples experiences with doing this and there was not much out there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Interesting insight about the cure time, as I plan to paint my next garage floor, nice size shed,

I always remember the insightfull words of a good friend, "son there was never a garage built big enough"

• 1 month later...

I painted the centre panels of my floor in white.

I used the Race Deck for the rest.

I will Post a few photos.

Yes the paint needs to be hard - cured - prior to driving on or using roller tool boxes and creepers.

Well I have been using the garage now for a few months and the floor has been fantastic. Easy to clean, and super tough. I did put the cars in there after about 10 days but I parked outside until the tyres cooled down up till around the 3 week mark.

Archived