Project CARS releases in 3 days...

Kerry

So I've been doing a bit of research over the last few weeks in order to join in on the Wednesday night PFA race night, looking at whether a PC, or an Xbox One, or a PS4 is the right platform (don't even get me started on G27 vs Thrustmaster vs Fanatec!!!) and looking at the various games indigenous or shared between each, and came across this which is to be released in a few days...

Having spent a fair amount of time on GT5, this looks like a completely different league, and with the ability to sit cross-platformed!!!

(set them to 1080p to get the full effect...)

Interesting review...

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/gaming/project-cars-preview-wheels-to-make-you-go-wow-9790834.html

Honestly, I prefer Gran Turismo. The driving physics are awesome. especially with GT6. the suspension physics are done with the kelp of KW suspension. When turning into corners, you feel the weight shift ect. 

I don't have a wheel. But my cousins do (the play more than me) and one has the G27 with GT5 and GT6 and he's broken the wheel a few times as he likes drifting and throws the wheel around like you would in real life. 

Pauly I've experienced different elements f different games which have been better than GT5/6, but just not the whole package being better... It is about time though for one of these new kids on the block to take a big step forward. I'm hoping that Project CARS might be it...

Has anyone here had any experience with previous versions or betas of Project CARS?

Kerry check out Assetto Corsa also. They just released RC v1.0 on steam early access. It's hard to go past PC for virtual racing. I have been a console racer for years and nothing beats the scope of games and peripherals that PC has. Both Project Cars and Assetto Corsa leave GT6 in the dust.

PASSSSSSS!

Yeah, so many options, so little brain capacity!  :blink:

After swinging from Xpox to PS4 and back again, but then having the reality of cross platform games not being able to actually play group (races etc) across cross platforms... meaning: in the name of greatest flexibility (even if far more complication) it strikes me that I'm heading back to that which you all seem to have, and I obviously need - a PC!

I made the mistake of asking gamer son to get me quote for a respectable PC gaming platform... who knew $2k wouldn't even cover it!?!?! Yeah, I think I'll be reclaiming that task... ;)  :o  <_<  ^_^

Cheers Flatsix, looking forward to "multitasking" at work tonight to check out your recommendation...  :ph34r:

Forza 4 and an xbox 360 is so cheap now, it's worth buying one just as a media centre for netflix/hulu/all the TV station 'catch up' programs, and a bit of racing.

but then again a really basic PC with a decent graphics card is good enough to play most decent racing sims on PC. (unless you want all the eyecandy of project cars or asetto corsa)

What eye candy do you miss out on with a PC vs xbox or PS3?

I thought PC fave you all the expandibility and customization to get all the lollieshop you wanted?! Or is it "really basic" that I should be taking notice of?! :)

Forsa xbox = Fanatec club sport pedal set

:/

graphics engine of a xbox 360 & PS3 is behind technology wise of a PC (xbox one and PS4 are better but still not as good as the highest end PC stuff)

everyone always talks about 'upgradability' of PC's, but by the time it comes to upgrade none of the components are compatible anymore

i've got a Q9550 with a Radeon 5770 and it's good enough for rFactor/GT Legends and World of tanks/War Thunder plus all the other steam games i play, I can't really see the value in PC's anymore

I spent 7 years selling PC's, maybe it made me bitter (I sold a $20,000 PC once.. it had a vapochill and the best of everything - so that $2k isn't bad lol)

Yeah but nah but yeah but nah.... but because I don't want a Ferrari wheel (and Thrustmaster), I want this exactly life-size replica of the 918 wheel... (eventually!!!)

PorscheR918-Big_01-1000x666_zps03670750.

I can't use it on xbox 360, nor PS4, only PC...

Is my information correct that even though an app' like Project Cars is cross platform, you can't drive with buddies until they are on the same platform as you?!

I can only compare GT6 and rFactor. I think GT6 is a better driving game but rFactor is a better racing game. The physics are more in depth in GT6 like Pauly mentioned but I wouldn't say rFactor is arcade like. You still get the force feedback through the wheel and the car does what you would expect it to do. My problem with the GT series, and I've had every edition, is that Polyphony Digital have made no progress in 20 years with the AI programing. Infact GT6 is worse than GT5. rFactor on the other hand is a blast. I did a 40 lap race at Spa in the Blancpain GT3 championship (In a 997 RSR of course) and I had some great battles and finished 11th after driving flat out with no offs and one pit stop for fuel and tyres. You just can't set up a race like that in GT.

This is 30 seconds of an online race I did last night with a mate of mine and 18 AI. We're front row after skipping qualifying. This is awesome having a full grid instead of just 2 cars on the grid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VvjWJYlnE8&list=UUDf4eT7oopF88qiJONBRDXw

Here's how my race ended last Wednesday in the AVM race at Le Mans. Yes, real damage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLBhSDhoDZ8&list=UUDf4eT7oopF88qiJONBRDXw

I'll still play GT6 as I have a few mates that are on it but we're in the process of getting them set up on rFactor, then I think GT will stay on the shelf. The good thing about GT is you just stick the disc in and away you go whereas with PC, there's a lot of stuffing around installing, port forwarding, mucking around with firewalls etc. I've learnt a lot about these the last few weeks and now it's all set up it's all good.

Damage?? FIRE!!!

Cheers Simon, yeah I think the decision to go PC is the right one as the reason I want to get back into it is for the racing (against you blokes!) and I totally agree about GT5/6 although driving GRID autosport the other wasn't a bad driving experience as well... Hopefully Project CARS can marry both elements of drivability and AI.

I'm pretty much tied up until mid November however I'm looking forward to grabbing this bull by the horns very soon after.

Cheers

If you get a PC for gaming, Build your own!! a lot cheaper. You want a good graphics card and a motherboard that can support it. blahblah blah, it's always cheaper build it yourself.

I picked up 2 monitors for work for $200 each. 24" LCD benQ. 3 monitors is always awesome for gaming. 

A friend of mine has 3 monitors, a fixed back bucket ect all on a frame. looks fun. 

P.S the only think i hate about Gran Turismo is every car sounds like a washing machine or a vacuum cleaner. 

Archived