911 Competitor

Guest Harold

It says a mid-engine competitor to the turbo, but they might include a lower spec engine to match the base 911.

I have heard this story many times.  It was said about the R8 when it was released.

Until someone nails a flat engine into the back of a coupe, its not going to happen.

The advantage of a 911 is that it is a purpose built platform.  It has a rear mounted flat engine which gives it 2+2 and decent vision, as well as a useable luggage space.  It also gives it responsive steering and great traction and a low centre of gravity and small frontal area.

Competitors either build a 2+2 coupe with a heavy engine over the wheels (Aston) and a bluff front, or an exotic mid engine (Audi), killing the interior space and vision.  The only way to build a 911 competitor is to nail a engine in the back. Where they all say it shouldn't go - in the same sentence as saying they like driving Porsches.

The idea is not patented - someone else should give it a go sometime and then they will have a competitor. Until then, it's just journalists flipping through 'the big book of Porsche clichés'.

Until someone nails a flat engine into the back of a coupe, its not going to happen.

The idea is not patented - someone else should give it a go sometime and then they will have a competitor. Until then, it's just journalists flipping through 'the big book of Porsche clichés'.

that's not what Ralph Nader said.

Tempted Harold?

Looks like a nice car; McL have a certain je ne sais quoi.

Nope, not my cup of tea. Good try though. I figure the more companies that make worthwhile competitors the better the future 911's will have to be and that is good for all of us who will buy them.

that's not what Ralph Nader said.

Honestly, I think that is the reason why every single engine configuration except rear engined has been tried by everyone but Porsche.

If that rant had come out before the 911 was released, we probably would have no 911.

Great news! 

I have found a car that uses a rear engine layout.

It's the Renault Twingo III

280px-Renault_Twingo_III_02.JPG

Rear engine, rear wheel drive, 4 seater.

Paul Horrell of Top Gear magazine gave the car a score of seven out of 10, calling it: "a genuinely different approach to design and engineering that has brought real dividends, not just in being different for its own sake. Most important, it's much more fun than a base-model supermini for the same cash."

Fancy that - different engineering provides benefits in packaging, and also makes the car fun to drive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Twingo

Archived