987.2 Boxster S - purchasing advice please

Trogdor

Hi All,

I'm new to PFA and was hoping to get some advice from all the experts here.

I've been looking a for a second hand "fun" car - and have my heart set on getting a 987.2 Boxster S PDK.

I went and test drove one today for the first time - was very impressed. Surprised at how comfortable it was, and in Sport mode how quick it was (Sport Plus mode seems to be a bit over the top). The one I test drove had the Sport Exhaust button - which seems to be a mandatory option in my mind - i.e. go from civilised to quite loud and amazing sounding depending on the mood or the appropriateness of the location!!

2009 - 2011 seems like the sweet spot in terms of bang for buck - as from my research it seems the IMS problems of the 987.1 had been rectified (I believe the 987.2 with PDK does not have an IMS) whilst the release of the 981 has meant the values for 987.2 are << 50% of new driveaway (incl options prices). Is that right?

Three questions:

- what would a good to reasonable price be for a 2009 Boxster S PDK with Sport Chrono, Sports Exhaust, 19" black wheels, and Nav - 50k km on the ODO, and in OK-ish condition (a few scuffs here and there on the interior - consistent with a 5 year old car, maybe a tad on the "could have been more careful" side)? Car is a dealer sale, but not a Porsche or large dealer (think small independent used prestige car dealer type place).

- How often do these come up with PDK, Nav, Sports Chrono and Sports Exhaust options? I.e. are these common options or unusual? I.e. how long would the wait be til the next one in this configuration comes up?

- I were to make an offer - would Porsche Brighton be OK to get an independent inspection done by (I live bayside in Melb) as a "subject to my satisfaction" condition on the contract of sale?

Thank you in advance.

My guess would be around the $60k - $65k mark.

The only thing I would worry about with this car, is a really thorough service history, with top quality oils changed frequently, and no bent bits underneath. 

The other thing you could do, is invest in a paint thickness gauge.. some say it's over the top, but at least you will know for sure if a car has had parts painted and if so, you can then question why.

If you get the VIN, your local porsche dealer will be able to confirm the exact list of factory options it came with and what was not standard.

I reckon that sports mode for the exhaust is brilliant. Last year, I was fortunate to have the use of a pdk boxster for a weekend... it also had the sports exhaust and trust me, worth the money.

Does the car have bluetooth connectivity for your phone? is that standard with Nav? 

Sounds like the car has some great options which would have added several thousand to the price tag when new.

LOL - thanks Tit. Good to see a fellow home star runner fan :)

Mike - thank you for that - btw the car does have Bluetooth. I think its part of the Nav system - but not sure. I did get it to pair with my phone at the end of the test drive to bee sure. The dealer is asking ~$73k drive away price with onroads etc, which I also thought was too high. Is 10% a fair rule of thumb for dealer used cars to try and get off? Redbook has 61 - 67k for private sale price for the 09 MY09 so Redbook concurs with you - is there any reason a non-Porsche dealer would charge more (other than to try or to have room to move?).

I asked to see the service history - the salesman told me he would be getting it next week. Said they got it from a Mercedes dealer - apparently the guy had traded it on a C63, and they'd be sending it through. Will want to sight it before I make an offer. The car has been on carsales for a few weeks though - does that sound suss that they don't have the books?

Thanks 1q2w3e4r - will use Brighton Porsche if I proceed to make an offer, or on the next car.

If any members are upgrading and have a 2009-11 PDK with the afore mentioned options and are upgrading / moving on do shout out.

sorry to say, but if they do not have the service books, I'd be annoyed. 

We arent talking about a $5000 commodore... When the merc dealer traded it in first, they would have demanded the books from the customer, and if it didn't have them, they would have penalised him a lot.

Having said that, if you can get verified service receipts from the claimed service centres and they all concur and add up, then it's still worth considering. As long as you accept that it will be a pain in the arse, when you go to sell it.

If you cannot get a bonafide book for such a premium car, it would knock the value by about $2-$4K. Hard to really put a tangible number on it, so that range is really just my opinion.

Why are they asking so much? Probably cos they can.

They need to make a decent margin, since all used cars need to be sold with a warranty... well, at least the do here in qld. So if Vic is the same, and something goes bang within 3 months, then the dealer has to fix no questions asked. 

My thoughts on the books is, if they don't have them it ain't got any.

There are plenty of Boxsters to choose from.

Check out the Cayman equivalent year as well.

Redbook is one guide. Ask an insurance company how much they will cover it for as well.

It's been said before, the wrong P car can cost you dearly.

Just lloking at carsales this morning and I sense that the cayman market is rebounding a bit. My brother in law got an 07 S in August with 45,000kms for $50K.... Would be tough to buy for that value now. Check out the 07 with the TechArt kit that the owner wants $100K for! A touch over-invested there I think.

A PDK Caymen S is closer to $70K Id say, and even more for a low kms car.

Tit - Is there a big difference in driving experience between a 987 S and a 997 vanilla? Seems for similar prices it would be a 2005/6 tip or manual 997.1 versus a 2009/10 S PDK 987.2. Having only driven the latter once I have no experience on this but figured newer car (less issues no IMS threat), plus better transmission (love the DSG in my GTI) was the way forward - and wanted something I could drive to work in traffic and saw PDK as an improvement on manual whereas a Tip as a compromise (and driving a manual to work gets tiresome for me in Melb traffic).  

Sorry, can't tell you the differences in driving. Have only tried my hands at a 981 and 991. Which were both fantastic.

I love the Cayman and came into the brand looking for one. Still don't have it. Got distracted by this air cooled thing.

A 987 or 997 are in my future, I hope.

For me though, it's manual every time. I have a mk6 gti dsg and curse every minute I have to use that gearbox. Haven't been able to sell gti so it's going to be the vomit bus when our baby arrives in December.

The wife and I used to fight over the (manual) mini keys... We live in Canberra, which is great if you love your cars.

Hi Trogdor

When we were setting up our fleet I was considering a 987.2 Cayman/Boxster S & shopping it against a 997 S.  There is (I feel) a big difference in how the cars drive (even without considering the 3.8 in the S).  The 911 has a lot more interior space - which may or not be an issue for you.  I tend to feel a little snug in the cayman or boxster with the roof up but don't get that feeling in the 997.  In the twisties the cayman S is probably the quicker car against the clock for your average driver  but I don't think it feels any faster.  For mine, the question comes down to mid versus rear engine (you can really notice the difference on the right roads) & interior room/rear seats.  Once you've driven both on some good roads you'll know which one suits you best.  We ended up going with the 997S & then getting a 987 as well.

Regarding the mid versus rear engine thing - my client yesterday found the steering in the 997 a bit too fidgety for his taste & much preferred the 996C4s (with the extra weight in the front) and the 987.  The 987 didn't have as much nose movement as the 997 in his opinion & that made him feel more stable/confident.  

Cheers,

Gavin

Makes sense, thank you, will tell the dealer to call me when he has the books, and keep looking if nothing

Hugh, link to car, thoughts?http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-Boxster-2009/AGC-AD-16889322/?Cr=2&sdmvc=1

Looks like fun!

@70k I too would be wanting to get into a Cayman, worth a look before you commit.

I must be ahead of my time... there I was with my 987 Cayman S (tip albeit) and I thought everyone hated them. 

I sold it.. and didnt get much for it.. only had 37kms too...

Now they are selling for several thou more than what I sold it for!

doh!

fwiw - i was a lot more comfortable driving fast in the cayman. It felt like driving on rails; in comparison, my 964 feels like its on the edge at 6/10ths....

You are lucky Tit living in Canberra sans traffic!! I've had a loaner mx5 in my garage for a while now (which started the whole hunt for a "faster" and more comfy convertible - though its a great car for what it is) - driving to the CBD goes from an absolute chore at peak to a pleasure later at night home down Beach Road once the traffic's gone. Unfortunately more often than not there is traffic, traffic and more traffic and there is only so many times I can clutch in and out to move a mere 10 metres!!

Thanks Gavin - that's great feedback. As I am after a convertible it sounds like the 987 combines that and best road manners / handling. The convertible thing means I'll skip Caymans (though everything I read about them is amazing).

Mike, may I ask if not impolite how much you got for the Cayman in the end?

To update my story - I told the dealer to call me when he has the service books as I'd be interested. I'm still waiting. There is a new one at another dealer which has come up, though is overpriced (MY10, S PDK, with fewer options - and 21k km on clock - asking 88k driveway which seems way too high based on my research notwithstanding the low kays).

• 5 months later...

Hi All,

I'm new to PFA and was hoping to get some advice from all the experts here.

I've been looking a for a second hand "fun" car - and have my heart set on getting a 987.2 Boxster S PDK.

I went and test drove one today for the first time - was very impressed. Surprised at how comfortable it was, and in Sport mode how quick it was (Sport Plus mode seems to be a bit over the top). The one I test drove had the Sport Exhaust button - which seems to be a mandatory option in my mind - i.e. go from civilised to quite loud and amazing sounding depending on the mood or the appropriateness of the location!!

2009 - 2011 seems like the sweet spot in terms of bang for buck - as from my research it seems the IMS problems of the 987.1 had been rectified (I believe the 987.2 with PDK does not have an IMS) whilst the release of the 981 has meant the values for 987.2 are << 50% of new driveaway (incl options prices). Is that right?

Three questions:

- what would a good to reasonable price be for a 2009 Boxster S PDK with Sport Chrono, Sports Exhaust, 19" black wheels, and Nav - 50k km on the ODO, and in OK-ish condition (a few scuffs here and there on the interior - consistent with a 5 year old car, maybe a tad on the "could have been more careful" side)? Car is a dealer sale, but not a Porsche or large dealer (think small independent used prestige car dealer type place).

- How often do these come up with PDK, Nav, Sports Chrono and Sports Exhaust options? I.e. are these common options or unusual? I.e. how long would the wait be til the next one in this configuration comes up?

- I were to make an offer - would Porsche Brighton be OK to get an independent inspection done by (I live bayside in Melb) as a "subject to my satisfaction" condition on the contract of sale?

Thank you in advance.

i know this is an old thread, but i think i know the car you are talking about here.

i viewed the same car prior to finding my current one around 2 months ago.

still had no books, and i asked over email about the books, and was told had them.

Got to the dealer and got told the same story, no books, but they are coming from porsch brighton.

then get a phone call the next day saying the books were found at the merc dealer where it was traded in.

way too suss

Archived