996 NA stalls at idle when touch brake pedal??

Whipit

Hi all, strange problem, car has started throwing up all sorts of warnings, ABS failure, tiptronic problem, brake proportion error.  It starts "normal" but if I just touch the brake pedal it immediately stalls.

Seems to clear itself after 30 seconds or so, and once it does it drives perfectly.

Taking it to the mechanic tomorrow, but anyone had anything like this with theirs just so i have an idea what to expect?

Yea I have read those, but my symptoms aren't like those posts I searched everything I could find yesterday with no luck.  If I hold the car at 4,000rpm in neutral and touch the brake it stalls, which says to me its not a vacuum leak, its electrical.  It also doesn't do it whilst the car is moving, only at idle when starting it.  As soon as for whatever reason it decides to behave itself the car runs perfectly, until its turned off.  Then restarting it, it does it again.  I have taken the car to Buiks, hopefully they can sort it. Will post what they find in case it helps anyone else.

Hi all, just an update, yep the first problem, which was I would start the car, it would fire off all sorts of error messages etc, and if I touched the brake pedal would stall.  It was quite intermittent, if it started and didn't stall it would drive perfectly, until i went to start it again.

Yep, believe it or not was just a faulty brake pedal switch.

Once that was sorted a few days later it developed the stall when coasting to a stop problem, that's a little bit more common on various forums etc, also had trouble when starting, would turn the key, get ignition but not hit the starter at all.

That one turned out to be a faulty ignition switch.

Thankfully both were relatively easy to diagnose and cheap to fix.  She is back on the road again.

LOL that's hilarious !!! we now have cars that are so driven by computers that a simple switch kills the engine.

That's nothing , wait til these <self driving> cars take hold. They will be self stopping all the time "just you wait & see".

Archived