How to photograph a tangerine car so it does not look red

ByronBayChris

Calling all the expert photographers.

Almost all of the photos I have taken off my tangerine car look red. This is with a camera phone, but also with a canon eos digital camera.

Can someone tell me some basic tips for getting most of the shots looking orange........ Everyone I saw thinks I have purchased a red car.

BBC,

Shoot manually ie use a camera where you can control the aperture and exposure. Let the camera suggest the correct exposure for you ( via the arrows, or plus and minus signs etc) and then in small increments (1/2, 1/3 , or 1/4 stops - whatever tha camera will allow OVEREXPOSE a series of shots (by opening up the aperture) until you see on the viewfinder that the image is "blown out". As the variations go toward over exposure, the car will go from red, through varying levels of orange, and end up finally in yellow. Then you can pick by eye which one best shows the colour of your car.

Actually, thinking about it on a lay level, if your camera has " exposure compensation" this would achieve the same result semi-automatically, you'd be using the "+" side of the control.

Simples.

to get the colour right I use a grey card to set the white balance ...  just google "grey card" for more info.

I use both, the grey card and a colour reference card. You can get these on eBay for few dollars 

Also, take into consideration the colour profiles for your JPG image (sRGB should be OK for the internet and can be set in you Canon camera config) as well as computer monitors can show colours differently due to their colour profile adjustments. Trust the grey card before you trust the monitor. 

and, yes get the exposure right too. 

Google is your friend 

photoshop is your friend :)

not always. How about the guys who used SLR cameras with films!! 

To answer the OPs question. 

with a non DLSR camera, adjust the wight balance manually. on an iphone? good luck.. camera is featureless 

not always. How about the guys who used SLR cameras with films!! 

That would be me!, or at least it was back in the early '90s (photo journalist back then). We were trained to "burn and dodge" whilst creating a print. Photoshop replicates it by allowing level adjustment and isolating parts of the shot and exposing them differently.

All valid points above, but also don't forget that colour reproduction is only as good as the monitor you view it on....or the monitor of the person that is looking at your shot. To have a good shot at "real" colour you need a monitir that can be calibrated (Dell's Ultrasharps are good for me). Then you need calibration software like a "Spyder"  http://spyder.datacolor.com/display-calibration/

I'm guessing that might be overkill for what you need though. If you have photoshop, then isolate the car using the lassoo tool and then play with saturation until it looks right. Maybe post the result here and we can all be your armchair critics!

• 1 month later...

Amanda..... You're back??? The mini must be really p¥¦[swing you off at the moment.

Here's hoping for a nice targa in your future.

Hey!  I stop by every so often. It's not really pissing me off, I just have Porsche running through my veins :)  you can't get them out of your system that easily. I've also got a bit of spare time on my hands these days.

One day there'll be a Targa in my future for sure :)

a

Archived