Hi all! Lurker turned member..

Hi all,

The name's Joe and I'm from Perth WA.

I don't currently own a Porsche, but I've been lurking this forum to build my knowledge base for quite some time.

By the looks of it, I'm not the only person on this forum who is very particular when it comes to vehicle ownership.. its good to find a group of like minded people!!

Ive been looking for the past 3 years for something that fits the bill and I'm yet to find something.  The 1 or 2 vehicles I have come across which suit, have slipped through my fingers unfortunately..

I did caretake a Porsche for a mate of mine, a 1977 911 2.7 for about 6 months for him whilst he was living interstate. Its now since sold and I'm kicking myself that I wasn't in a position to buy it when it was for sale.. it was RHD, matching numbers, Australian delivered, and was at least 95% rust free.

I'm looking at doing a (shock, horror) backdate build, and although some think that the whole backdate thing is "wrong" or a passing phase, I do like the idea of building something unique.. although I'd never bastardize something valuable or sought after. 

So if anyone has a RHD relatively rust free non sunroof vehicle (running or not) that they want to sell, let me know privately.. until then, I'll keep on reading and I look forward to getting involved in some discussions!

Thanks all.

Joe

post-2038-0-14283800-1418021059_thumb.jp

Gday mate. Welcome to the forum

Theres a yellow 911 on SA Gumtree thats just.popped up. Think its a sporto if that doesnt bother you

There nothing wrong with a backdated car at all. If thats what you want and youre happy with it, who really cares what others think?

Enjoy the journey anyway

Thanks Lee.

I have yet to look at Gumtree in other States, but I will be shortly!  Sporto probably isn't what I'm after, due to the cost of putting a traditional box in.. but you never know!

Because I come from a modified car background, its only natural for me to want to tinker and customise.. and some people in my experience (both on the net and also at Porsche Club events) think that backdating is a ridiculous thing to do to a Porsche. 

The appeal of backdating was only exacerbated when I saw a lot of good long nose cars in one place at Rennsport Festival 2013. I was lucky enough to score a couple of box seats from Autohaus Hamilton and I flew over just to experience the 2 day Porsche spectacle.. it was well worth it!

Cheers :)

They do.. but there is a fine line between butchering a really nice original, clean example, and wrongly purchasing a steamping pile of poop :D  This in itself is the difficulty in finding something that lends itself really well to customising

Also welcome Joe, good luck with your project there.   I agree with Lee, mate, if you want to customise and backdate, go for it.

Nothing wrong (IMHO) with personalising your Porsche to suit your taste. (and more than likely others)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived