The scale of the universe

JV911

Read this yesterday. it is just a theory of math that sits beside other gems such as White Holes (Google it) and Jump Rooms (Google also). no one can disprove these theory's so they are allowed to be published. Drugs are very bad for you.

Theories are just ideas to be proved or disproved. If you're a non-scientific person it can seem a bit out there , as it were.

I suspect there was a lot of drug taking at Weissach in the 70s , judging by some of the stylistic and other efforts that have been uncovered .

Theories are just ideas to be proved or disproved. If you're a non-scientific person it can seem a bit out there , as it were.

I suspect there was a lot of drug taking at Weissach in the 70s , judging by some of the stylistic and other efforts that have been uncovered .

Not necessarity - A theory in scientific terms is an explanation generally held to be true, acquired through the scientific method, repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation i.e. theory of gravity

Yep, saw that yesterday.

Has anyone been following the Rosetta mission?

Theories are just ideas to be proved or disproved....

Not necessarity - A theory in scientific terms is an explanation generally held to be true, acquired through the scientific method, repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation i.e. theory of gravity...

Looks to me like you guys are both saying the same thing using different words.

'Cept that scientific theories are always in play, and open to further confirmation or disproof.  

So, "I have a theory that aliens are reading my mind when I sleep" isn't a theory in the scientific sense, but in your example of the theory of gravity there is a discrepancy between Newtonian gravity and Einsteinian gravity.  Einstein came along and showed that Sir Isaac hadn't quite nailed things down.

I take your point that a scientific theory is something more than a hunch, but if memory serves, Tazzie is a science based professional anyway...and I am not! 

A hypothesis is an idea  , one which can seem quite mad at the time it is proposed. Where would we be without mad scientists and hare-brained ideas? An unsplit beer atom doesn't bear thinking about , there would be no rock and roll.

A theory is when sane +/- mad people agree the hypothesis holds water. Without contemplating where did all the water come from , Harold's theory of math by JV911s reckoning is held to be true. So is it just that there aren't enough clever people around to disprove the theory troubling Harold?

As for Rosetta , well JV911 I've encrypted a little for you in this msg  :)

Archived