Keep or Remove Aircon?

Kris

Russ, Dont do it.

My C3 had factory air that was as handy as a hip pocket in a singlet. 2 years ago I replaced it with an upgrade kit from Retroair designed to run on R134. The same kit OZ930 ( Brian) is installing at present.

The kit came with modern technology Evaperator and Condensor and Compressor plus an upgrade to the existing fan. This eliminates the original speed control dropping resisters set in the outlet to the vents plus new hoses. I used the original control switches. It all went back together in the same places as my original factory air.

Its great. I put a thermometer in the output vent on the dash and got to minus 1 degree on a 38 degree day. I have it cycling at about 8 degrees vent temp with about a 30 % on duty cycle.

I looked at the Griffiths setup but just could not bring myself to put "foreign bodys " in the wheel arch. You have a condensor trying to cool gas set next to an exhause that is very good at producing heat and It was much dearer than the retroair setup. I notice in your picture of the wheel arch the installed condensor is old technology and not very efficient. Retroair use a multiflow technoloy that gives you much more surface area in the same space.

I am not using any condensor between the front wheels as some porsches do as the boot lid setup was efficient enough for my car. I would suggest the extra condensor in the front for a Turbo as the intercooler takes up some of the condensor space in the back.

Rock Browning at retroair was great to deal with. I spoke to him a couple of time . His site explains the new design of condensor and evaperator and you can see why it is so efficient.

I have no problems with this system and a very cool Porsche with the installation very similar to the original.

Also there is a small mod you can do so your Fan will deliver air through your vents without the Air Conditioner being switched on.

If you are interested let me know.

Danny,

I agree provided you are running at a steady 60kph or faster but throw in some traffic lights and slow speed running and the air vent temps escalate to unhelpful levels quickly.

I think the issue is the lack of a electric fan on our main condenser and I think the rear wheel well mounted condenser is the easiest option. However I agree about the desirability of a serpentine tube condenser and the need for a good exhaust heat(and stone!) shield.

I agree the Kuelh option is expensive ($999 was the quote I got early last year) and I think you could source a 964/993 replacement condenser locally and fit it up completely for about half that cost. I haven't checked the dimensions but it would be close.

Oh, and let's not forget the lack of vent area too on the pre '86 cars which also adds to the challenge of having modern performing AC in our old AC cars!

thanks for the info Danny!

from my research I think airflow over the evaporator, and condenser are the main issues, as well as the output from the vents.

I was even considering one of the under dash units to get more vent space. as well as one of the 964/993 boxes and making it fit (but pulling out all the flaps and servos)

good point with the condenser -  wonder if there's a way to stop heat soak from the exhaust with some shielding? I've been looking at TAFE automotive air conditioning courses that i can attend at night to try and get some more understanding of systems (as well as the ability to regas my own system)

thanks for the info Danny!

from my research I think airflow over the evaporator, and condenser are the main issues, as well as the output from the vents.

I was even considering one of the under dash units to get more vent space. as well as one of the 964/993 boxes and making it fit (but pulling out all the flaps and servos)

good point with the condenser -  wonder if there's a way to stop heat soak from the exhaust with some shielding? I've been looking at TAFE automotive air conditioning courses that i can attend at night to try and get some more understanding of systems (as well as the ability to regas my own system)

https://www.arctick.org/faq_main.php Let me know when your done I might have some work for you

Why bother with tafe? If you get your own gear and use hydrocarbons then no tick needed. Plenty of knowledge about ac around on the net. I'm diving right in without involving any pros. It's just another heat moving system like a radiator

Oh no !!!  :o

Delete this and deny all knowledge before the Sporto crowd find out   :ph34r:

Haha yes it is an outrageous combination. Better keep this on the down low.

There is some really great info here guys. Im now thinking of doing a bit more reading and finding out exactly what ive got before doing anything. There are a lot of new aluminum lines and the compressor looks new. So potentially a couple of minor upgrades could get it working.

Russ I agree about the airflow through the condensor. I run an electric fan on my rear boot condensor when the compressor is engaged.

Still works well in stop start traffic with no appreciable increase in oil temp above increases without the air switched on.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived