What to clean/treat engine fan with?

Dusty

I know a lot of people overseas appear to get great results with Gibbs penetrating oil and a scotch-brite pad but I was hoping there might be a more accessible product to purchase locally.

Does anyone have any good experiences? 

Hard work with Scotch-Brite or wet/dry papers, finished by polishing is the tried and true method to remove the pitting and corrosion. Soda blasting (gentler than sand blasting) would also give a good result.

Don't use metallic scourers like steel wool. It leaves particles embedded in the fan and rusts

Thanks Harvs, Did you use the scotch brite pads dry or use something like WD-40 etc as a type of lubricant? Is there anything you'd recommend to maintain the finish like a clear coat or some other coating to make it last?

Thanks Peter - I did see that but couldn't determine if there was a conclusion? It probably confirms this Gibbs stuff is difficult to get hold of and I'm hoping to get my car back on the road within a fortnight so I don't want an overseas delivery holding up the process.

Its already been off the road for same and I've developed a weird twitch. 

Dusty,

I think that thread just identifies there is a number of ways to skin this cat and the choice ultimately depends on what the end appearance you want.

I bought Gibb's from a place near Albury. Expensive but definitely an option given you timeframe.

Post some photos when you are finished please!

Cheers

Peter

The Gibbs group buy went nowhere. I got tired of waiting for the local supplier to come back to me.

I rubbed mine back with scotch brite at first but wasn't happy with the result. Next step was wet rubbing in stages down to 1500 then a polish. The finish was very bright for a while but has settled to an original looking dull sheen.

Pete M. Maybe next time you are heading to Albury let us know beforehand. We could make an SMT shopping trip to meet you half way to collect

Actually Harvs I just called them, paid by credit card and the postman did the rest!

I recall it was horrendously expensive so be prepared.

Here is the phone number and address of the supplier:

Rapid Hydraulics & Pneumatics

21 Sanyo Drive Wodonga Vic 3690

www.rapidhosesystems.com

Phone (02) 6056 9068

Email sales@rapidhosesystems.com

Peter - did you find the result after using Gibbs was worth the expense/effort? 

So far I've gone down the same path as Harvs with the fan and the result sounds familiar, too shiny for my liking. Good to know that it will calm down after a while but I may have to go harsher than 1500 to get rid of the pitting in the housing. It's almost as bad as my powder coated Fuchs... 

79882F8B-607E-4E32-A0A3-1F4716746363_zps

C18E5116-3A5A-4CC9-AA8A-7C982C753A7F_zps

• 3 months later...

Weve polished and painted the housing and fan lots of times so going by personal experience this is what worked well for us,

After many kays there is no tarnishing on the bare metal

We Use a Drill with a red nylon wheel it will smooth out the housing quickly and because the nylon brushes are non metallic it doesn't leave particles in the metal that may rust down the track,

Then clean and dry it thoroughly , I use thinners or acetone if I have any,

2 After the initial cutting

If your keeping the metal bare

Attach a fabric wheel to the drill and use white compound chalk for the compound this will bring it up to a mirror finish, when buffing spray with water to keep the compound

moist so it will cut more effectively, after finish dry thoroughly (heatgun is good) and then spray or rub aheavy oil in th meetal, Lithium or fishoil or Vaseline theyre all good and rub into metal

after rubbing in buff it with dry rag the housing will retain mirror finish and also repel moisture easily.

If your painting the housing ignore 2.

Spray with primer and paint in same way as you would do duco

Peter - did you find the result after using Gibbs was worth the expense/effort? 

So far I've gone down the same path as Harvs with the fan and the result sounds familiar, too shiny for my liking. Good to know that it will calm down after a while but I may have to go harsher than 1500 to get rid of the pitting in the housing. It's almost as bad as my powder coated Fuchs... 

Dusty, 1500 grit is where you should stop.  Start with 400 wet to remove blemishes, pitting etc.   Step up the grades i.e. 600, 800, 1200, 1500 after completing each pass.  Only then, polish.  The result will depend on your efforts and thoroughness.  And a liberal application of elbow grease.

I've heard something about oven cleaner has anyone on here tried that?

Nasty stuff though.

Oven cleaner is used to remove anodising (usually on the wheels). Works like a charm, just melts it off. I had hubcaps that were anodised black, so they're not. No effect on the aluminium as far as I could tell. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived