NEW CONCEPT IN THE WESTERN SUBURBS

Niko

I heard the manager of this place on 3AW this morning.  

The place is called YOU DO IT AUTO

Seems like a great place to do a bit of work on your car if you have no hoists and other equipment.

(workshop ...washes...detailing)

I think it's a great concept, and I intend to check it out.  

They also do little information tours etc for car clubs etc.  

If it looks as good as it sounds and anyone is interested we might try and do a

"check it out morning" if it can be arranged.  

Prices look pretty good for the hire of hoists etc.

http://www.youdoitauto.com.au/

DISCLAIMER.   nothing at all to do with me and nothing in it for me.

.....just sounded interesting on the radio and the website confirms it.

Maybe if one of you Western Suburbs members want to drive by and have a look, let us know what you think.

Today is the grand opening.

Interesting as it includes washing and detailing. 

There's also one down in Ferntree Gully called 612 Autoworks. They're a bit more suited to the jap scene though.

They've been trying to get me come down and work on the Porsche there. The guys will also lend a hand instead of you doing it all yourself which makes working on those jobs where you need more than one hand easy.

*disclaimer. I know the guys who run it and I've also gone down there and helped twice*

I've often coveted the idea of opening up a shop like that in Adelaide.

But what I'd really like to see is somewhere where you can dispose of your old oil and filters without having to wait till the second Tuesday of the month for the epa depot to be open.

Yes Stew, I reckon it is a great idea, I'll certainly be taking a couple of my cars over to give them a good steam clean underneath or wash.

I was also wondering about the old oil, be interesting if they just supply a funnel and drum for you to dispose of it.

Also be interesting to see how long all the floors, equipment, tools  etc are kept in good clean condition.

But the prices seem pretty good.   Considering at our local car wash it is $1.00 for about 1 minute 40 I think.

Bet if it kicks off they will spring up everywhere.,.,

.. Good idea for occasional hoist access, but reckon costs could mount...

plenty of club and or other 'member' based sheds about. If I remember correctly one of the MG clubs have a cracker..may be something to do with marque ownership ...

Definitely!!! Save me from this public sector hell!!

.. Good idea for occasional hoist access, but reckon costs could mount...

plenty of club and or other 'member' based sheds about. If I remember correctly one of the MG clubs have a cracker..may be something to do with marque ownership ...

I remember in the 80's / 90's in Alexandria in Sydney, there was a place called "U Do It" and it was the same concept without the wash and shine.

My brother had a show XC Falcon and I spent a lot of time there helping tinker.

They had a rather large guy there sitting in a small office chain smoking and making you sign out every tool you wanted to use. I can't remember if there was a deposit system, but I know you had to sign everything in and out.

I can't imagine there would be a ton of money in it. As Michel quite rightly stated, costs will easily blow out for the hire costs and the repeat business is how these places stay open.

We'll see how this one goes, but I cant imagine they will spring up all over the place as a viable business.

Archived