Observations from a new / first time owner

PeterP

Hi Folks,

well, its been about 6 weeks now since I took the plunge so to speak and bought the SC. Since that time, we have rectified some of the interesting things that were previously done to the vehicle, like the sump plug being welded into the sump plate; the gear shift coupling that had been secured with a cable tie, and a couple of other interesting innovations.

On top of that we have replaced the cracked K box, replaced all the brake hoses, fitted new rocker shaft seals, new leads, serviced the distributor to name but a few...oh, we also stuck the Monti exhaust (that came with it) on....now I drive everywhere with the window down.

But by god it's fun to drive......today I went down the peninsula with a couple of friends (try hards) in their ferraris and we had a totally legal blast. Cant wait to get with some other Porsches.....after all,one can only handle so much Red paint !!

But a couple of questions for owners of the older varieties.

a) how much oil does your car drop? I don't know whether this is good, acceptable, or not good at all; but if I drive the car once or twice on the same day (local drive), it may drop a spot the size of your small finger nail. Today after a two hour, at times spirited drive chasing a 360 Modena: when I got home it dropped maybe three or four drops from different spots

B) We have an oil pressure guage and a oil level guage. The oil level guage fluctuates depending what gear I'm in and how fast I am going, is this normal?

Love this car dearly and can only imagine what the newer ones are like.......I think I have the disease !!

cheers

Peter :D:D

Hi Peter,

Glad you are enjoying the driving experience. You'll have to join us on a Sunday Morning Targe (SMT) and enjoy some great roads and fun driving.

I am not mechanically minded, but I will provide you with some of my experiences.

I have a 3.2 Carrera which is the next model after the SC. I have had the car for nearly 2 years and have never seen a drop of oil on the garage floor. Having said that I know others with older 911's and newer 964's that drop a small amount of oil and they just accept this as part and parcel of the 911 ownership experience.

Oil pressure guage: My needle sits between 4 and 5 under acceleration.

Oil level guage: Should be read at idle. It's normal to fluctuate while driving.

Doug

• 1 month later...

Well done on your purchase Peter!

So often I have heard people say, "It drops oil, it is a Porsche", in my opinion a Porsche that drops oil is a neglected car and the issue should be fixed. Degrease the hell out of the engine, take it for a run then inspect. I just don't understand why people allow an engine to leak. Anyway, enjoy!

Hi Peter,

Don't you just love discovering the PO's dirty lttle secrets!

A couple of drops of oil is no problem. My 1980 SC regularly spots the garage floor, never more than one or two drops the size of a 10c piece. It's just your Porsche's way of marking territory. Only when the oil runs out past the garage door have you really got a problem :( (personal experience from a cracked oil line)

Don't trust the oil level Gauge! Always check the dipstick if you are not sure. Like Doug said, the oil pressure is the one to watch.

Happy motoring - maybe we'll see you on the next SMT.

Harv.

OK! Who P'd on the floor??

post-426-130707158187_thumb.jpgpost-426-130707159473_thumb.jpgpost-426-130707161288_thumb.jpg

Thanks to the guys at 9 Plus who repaired this for me. back to 2 spots per day now.

Harv,

WOW, after seeing that I feel a lot better now......Mine is pretty good and only drops maybe a 5c piece overnight if I'm lucky. It must squeeze a drop out somewhere that is hitting the exhaust, as its a bit smelly after a run, yet is using a miniscule amount of oil if any.

Agree about the guage, I check it each time I drive it, once its warm.

Look forward to meeting at some stage; the coffee session at Brighton was great last week; good to meet some of the chaps..

regards

Peter :D

Guest vas930

Hi Peter. I agree with Spence, your Porsche should not leak oil. If you choose to accept it, thats up to you. Many Porsche owners do,as the cost of repair does not warrant the one or two drops a day. Keep an eye on your levels and get it fixed at your next service. I think Spence has raised a good point,why do so many Porsche owners feel its OK for the car to leak oil.Its been going on for years. Lookout I can feel another Poll coming on. :D

yet is using a miniscule amount of oil if any.

Hi Peter,

Be diligent with checking oil. On a 3.2 Porsche says oil usage can be up to 1.5 litres per 1000 km. My 3.2 would easily use 1 litre per 1000km.

Doug

Harv,

WOW, after seeing that I feel a lot better now......Mine is pretty good and only drops maybe a 5c piece overnight if I'm lucky. It must squeeze a drop out somewhere that is hitting the exhaust, as its a bit smelly after a run, yet is using a miniscule amount of oil if any.

regards

Peter :D

more than likely cam housings leaking on to heat exchangers

I have an 85 3.2 with 285,000km's and not one drop of oil. Its a Porsche, let the holdens and fords leak, your car should not. Get it sorted

lol, you car looks awesome too, perfect stance.

Archived