Tips for Buying a 944

Paul Carrera

Hi there I am starting to look around for a n/a 944 and wondering if there are any traps that I need to look out for. I know about the water pump and timing belt but are there any other common issues. Thanks.

Here's a very basic start:

1. Probably superfluous on this forum, but don't buy an auto - they are 3 speed 70's technology

2. Get a post - 1985.5, oval dash model

3. Depending on your budget you should really aim for an S2, which has the Turbo bodywork, suspension and brakes - much prettier IMHO than the other NAs, and decent performance from 3L engine

4. Get one with good recent service history - it doesn't really matter what was done in 1990 or 2000 with regard to belts, brakes etc, as long as those things were done recently.

Hi Paul , here is a quick summary of the 944 in R/H/D 

1982 - 1983  year types 2.5L single cam engine ( all alloy ) 5 speed manual or 3 speed auto , power steering not an option new , good power to weight ratio , early interior , most of these have been trashed by humans over the decades

1984 - 1985 , still the early version , but now available with power steering as an option ( bit rarer in the 1984 year type ) but the 1985 year type , power steering was on most of them , the reason I mentioned it is that it completely transforms the car 

1986 year type , in Australia all new cars sold had to run on unleaded petrol ( from Jan 1986 )& the only unleaded available in 1986 & 1987 was the standard 91 octane( NO Premuim 95 available at all ) , which meant we lost the air cooled 911 Turbo in Australia because it could not cope with the very poor( low octane) fuels we had here ,naturally all car makers were faced with this low octane problem here in Aus so most if not all car makers sold us NA  ( normally aspirated )cars with lower compression engines , be it Ford , Holden , Volvo , Porsche , BMW , Merc etc etc & pinging and sulphur smells prevailed for some years 

In this year Porsche sold us the 9113.2 with lower compression & very medium performance to boot , they also sold us

Thanks for that reply lots of good info although I don't think I got it all the last bit may be missing

What I'm looking for will probably be the earlier model just because of price, I am wanting a car that is road legal but will be used mainly for track days etc so I will remove anything not required to lose weight and put in a race seat and harness

I don't want to spend to much because I want to be able to walk away if the worst happens without to much grief

I know what you mean by the detuning of the 86 cars I have a 86 carerra which I bought with me from NZ so it has the euro spec engine that isn't detuned and has about 25 more hp than the Aussie cars

How much difference would the power steering make on the track.

I have also thought about buying a very cheap roughie and putting a later 190hp engine in, there are a few autos around that seem a bit cheaper and also wondering what is involved in changing to a manual

Thanks for all the replies

Hi Paul , here is a quick summary of the 944 in R/H/D

1982 - 1983 year types 2.5L single cam engine ( all alloy ) 5 speed manual or 3 speed auto , power steering not an option new , good power to weight ratio , early interior , most of these have been trashed by humans over the decades

1984 - 1985 , still the early version , but now available with power steering as an option ( bit rarer in the 1984 year type ) but the 1985 year type , power steering was on most of them , the reason I mentioned it is that it completely transforms the car

1986 year type , in Australia all new cars sold had to run on unleaded petrol ( from Jan 1986 )& the only unleaded available in 1986 & 1987 was the standard 91 octane( NO Premuim 95 available at all ) , which meant we lost the air cooled 911 Turbo in Australia because it could not cope with the very poor( low octane) fuels we had here ,naturally all car makers were faced with this low octane problem here in Aus so most if not all car makers sold us NA ( normally aspirated )cars with lower compression engines , be it Ford , Holden , Volvo , Porsche , BMW , Merc etc etc & pinging and sulphur smells prevailed for some years

In this year Porsche sold us the 9113.2 with lower compression & very medium performance to boot , they also sold us

Archived