ANCAP or ANCRAP?

tazzieman

Maybe of interest to some of you looking for new trolleys

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/ancap-crash-rating-flaws-exposed-20150520-gh5ijn.html

More than half of new cars sold in Australia rated with a perfect five-star safety score would lose stars if re-evaluated under 2015 standards, an investigation has found.

In a damning report, Wheels Magazine has uncovered that more than half of 179 new five-star vehicles on sale are misrepresentative of the latest safety protocols due to a date-stamp loophole in the Australasian New Car Assessment Program (ANCAP). In some cases, certain vehicles would lose a star because they're not fitted with overly weighted technologies such as an automated handbrake.

Weeks after Drive discovered that Australia's biggest car makers had little faith in Australia's crash bodyWheels writer and Drive contributor Toby Hagon found that dozens of popular new cars on sale prior to 2015 would be considered sub-par if tested by standards which came into effect on January 1.

other safety assist technologies that could potentially undermine vehicles with near class-leading credentials include hill-start assist, automated parking brake or daytime running lights – technologies with "debatable real-world protection," 

I don't think hill start and auto park brake should be in the testing!

why is our testing any different to euro-NCAP? are french or german people softer to hit? or do they deform bumpers differently?

I guess it'd do the local people out of a job. I bet they're worried now there's no manufacturing here

why is our testing any different to euro-NCAP? are french or german people softer to hit? or do they deform bumpers differently?

I guess it'd do the local people out of a job. I bet they're worried now there's no manufacturing here

It only existed so the local manufacturers didn't have to ship cars over to Europe for testing.

Give me two minute as the appropriate minister.

I would change all the rules thus:

- all new cars on sale must meet European emissions and crash standards

- small volume manufacturers will pass with computer simulations and inspection, and evidence of type approval in EU, Japan or USA. Such vehicles will have a red warning sticker attached to the dashboard, telling buyers and passengers it's a handbuilt custom and might be dangerous. I would also sellmercandise with this same warning to offset costs.

- there is no restriction on the import of any vehicle as long as the vehicle passes emissions and visualinspection for modifications subject to the year of its manufacture, as long as it was type approved for Japan, Europe or North America.

After that I'd go looking for some other department to eliminate, then I'd use the savings to fund a proper national interstate highway. I'd keep eliminating paper pushers until I had a 4 laner between every state capital.

I would change all the rules thus:

- all new cars on sale must meet European emissions and crash standards

- small volume manufacturers will pass with computer simulations and inspection, and evidence of type approval in EU, Japan or USA. Such vehicles will have a red warning sticker attached to the dashboard, telling buyers and passengers it's a handbuilt custom and might be dangerous. I would also sellmercandise with this same warning to offset costs.

- there is no restriction on the import of any vehicle as long as the vehicle passes emissions and visualinspection for modifications subject to the year of its manufacture, as long as it was type approved for Japan, Europe or North America.

After that I'd go looking for some other department to eliminate, then I'd use the savings to fund a proper national interstate highway. I'd keep eliminating paper pushers until I had a 4 laner between every state capital.

Say all that in your best Dr Evil accent   :D

Archived