Road Trip

ANF

Hello fellow PFAers :)

I (along with my wife) are thinking of a road trip to the big island (fly in and hire car) for an extended weekend (3-4 days) later in the year, Sept/ Oct.

The Great Ocean Road has been suggested, I have done this a couple of times (wife has not) and I know what to expect - sometimes crowded roads and variable weather but great roads and scenery.

Other option is the South Coast of NSW - Batemans Bay and surrounding areas.

People who have done this region is it similar to the G.O.R.? Roads, scenery, beaches, accommodation?

Any other seaside places that would be suitable and not too long a flight from Tas?

Would be hiring car, and while a Porsche (or Merc) would be ideal, may have to settle for best of the rest.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

I agree with clutch-monkey about the roads and scenery in the Kangaroo Valley area. If you go there, head a bit further inland to the Southern Highlands to Robertson. There you can visit the spectacular Fitzroy Falls, Carrington Falls, Belmore Falls and don't forget to stop at Robertson Pies. Just up the road from the pie shop is the Illawarra Fly, an elevated walkway on the edge of Knight's Hill - Spectacular! 

The Great Ocean Road is pretty spectacular too, but the scenery on the NSW South Coast is far superior IMO. Have a great trip wherever you decide to go.

just north of batemans bay there is some spectacular roads in kangaroo valley area. rainforested winding B roads. this is from my trip through the area:

5sBh3A9.jpg

UYsPzVk.jpg

Thanks, looks like some nice roads.

Definite possibility.

I agree with clutch-monkey about the roads and scenery in the Kangaroo Valley area. If you go there, head a bit further inland to the Southern Highlands to Robertson. There you can visit the spectacular Fitzroy Falls, Carrington Falls, Belmore Falls and don't forget to stop at Robertson Pies. Just up the road from the pie shop is the Illawarra Fly, an elevated walkway on the edge of Knight's Hill - Spectacular!

The Great Ocean Road is pretty spectacular too, but the scenery on the NSW South Coast is far superior IMO. Have a great trip wherever you decide to go.

Thankyou. Looking like a nice spot to visit, and if better than GOR could be the one.

Thanks guys

I've driven the GOR a few times and seem to enjoy it less each time. Heavy police presence, lowered speed limits, crappy road surfaces and too much traffic are the main problems. Some lovely towns though - just not a driver's paradise like Tasmania.

It's not too far to fly to Byron Bay and the Northern Rivers of NSW. Great climate and some nice roads (not unto tas roads, but better than city roads)

Maybe an extended "test drive" of your 964 :P

Fly into Merimbula airport stay near Narooma or thereabouts make sure you take brown mtn up to nimmitabel Cooma then back down again via any great road around there - oysters round here are great

Blast up to batemans bay, then turn inland near pigeon house mtn nerriga rd to Braidwood eat at pay dirt eatery

Fly into Merimbula airport stay near Narooma or thereabouts make sure you take brown mtn up to nimmitabel Cooma then back down again via any great road around there - oysters round here are great

Blast up to batemans bay, then turn inland near pigeon house mtn nerriga rd to Braidwood eat at pay dirt eatery

Thanks Michael. Sounds like South Coast NSW is the way to go!

Flying to into Merimbula sounds expensive as none of the big ones do it, so separate flight may be needed?

Never been to Canberra, so start and finish there may be best option and a loop out to Batemans and down to Merimbula may be the go. Plus some touring around too.

Lets see how the planning fits around all.

Thanks heaps guys!

:)

Archived