Engine Stand and Adapter advice

Mike D'Silva

Gents

I plan to pull the engine out of the 914 (4 cylinder) and also the 964.

Having never used an engine stand before, I am not sure what to buy. I'm leaning towards buying this adapter from Pelican; will it work for both motor styles?

And then which engine stand can I use ? Are they all universal yoke sizes?

engine%20stand%20adapter_zpsdgwxwjpz.jpg

OR

what about this adapter ring.. the description makes me think it will work with both and should be able to bolt to any generic engine stand available locally.. 

engine%20adapter%20ring_zps7inghc7z.jpg

personally the generic adjustable ones suck (trying to line up the random lengths with holes, you're lucky to get 3 to line up)

I'd say buy the yoke and then walk into total tools and find an engine stand to slot it into

oh and buy a flywheel lock if you don't have one

Yeah i meant trade tools, They're at Eagle Farm.

SM911 on here just went through this same thing, I can't remember what brand of engine stand he has (Kinchrome I think) but even the SCA ones will take 500ish KG and you can remove the 'generic' mount and put the yoke in

Also

Yeah i meant trade tools, They're at Eagle Farm.

SM911 on here just went through this same thing, I can't remember what brand of engine stand he has (Kinchrome I think) but even the SCA ones will take 500ish KG and you can remove the 'generic' mount and put the yoke in

Trade Tools are also at Coopers Plains. for me easier then crossing the river. I used a generic yoke but I would have preferred the Pelican item. Surely there must be someone in Brisbane that can lend you one- I can vouch for Mike - tools come back with non borrowed goodies

The studs which mount the gearbox are unequal lengths. Even with the correct adapter they will protrude beyond the thread. Make up some spacers/sleeves to go under the nuts which will make it possible to tighten up. There's not much tool room if you wind the nuts all the way down to the adapter for the shorter lower stud.

11065209746_b44b8df062_z.jpg

Archived