Steering Wheel Wobble

Odd problem, my steering is very crisp until I hit about 90-110 kph then I get this slight shudder in my steering wheel like my front tyres are out of balance. I didn't notice this issue before installing turbo tie-rods and getting a wheel alignment so someone might be able to tell me if these are at fault? Since the tie-rod install and alignment I've:

- re-balanced the old front tyres, didn't work so I

- replaced all tyres with brand new tyres; didnt work so I 

- jacked up the front of the car, noticed some minor play when rocking the front tyres so replaced the front bearings; It's a bit better but still hasn't worked.

Should I go back and get another alignment or am I missing something? Shocks perhaps?  There's virtually no play in the front wheels now when they're off the ground so I'm a bit stumped....

It's normal practice on any vehicle I've owned to retention front wheel bearings after 1000 klms.

Then I would look at the shocks.

Dead shocks will let the spring bounce at that speed. No dampening.

Hope you get it sorted.

As strange as it may seem... try this.

Drive another car on the same piece of road and see if the problem is there. I have the same problem with a couple of my cars on a section of the Monash Freeway near where I live. It does not do it with my Jeep, but the P cars (1960 / 1970/ 1999) all get a slight vibration at that speed on this particular section of road.

I've noticed that - every time I drive over a section of road near my house I think I my tyres need balancing in whatever car I'm in but it's just that stretch of road! 

While this issue is a bit sporadic, it's there more than it's not and I've driven over 300km's over different roads. I'm thinking it's the shocks cause that's all that's left. The old tie-rods had a lot of play, perhaps masking the dodgy shocks and because the springs are so stiff the old 'bounce' test didn't show them up. 

Not sure if this will help you since I have a 964.. but I experienced EXACTLY the same problem as you.

At 100, I would get a wobble similar to an out-of-balance wheel... but everything was fresh (tyres, balance, alignment).

The issue would happen sometimes, not others, even on the same stretch of road. 

It turned out my front control arm bushings were deteriorating.. I had some poly bushes installed, and ever since, the car ran silky smooth.

Again, I'm not sure how the suspension is configured in your car....

Thanks Mike - thinking something like that will be the culprit. At the moment I'm focussing on the tie- rods cause the car was tracking well until I upgraded them....it s possible I did stuff up the install somewhere?

I too am chasing the same issue. New tyres, balance, shocks, tie rod ends, wheel alignment, no pulsing on brake peddle, checked wheel run out, steering rack is tight and any road sometimes…..thanks Mike, I will look at the control arm bushes.

SOLVED - turned out to be a dodgy new front wheel bearing.

I'd been chasing the issue every night, elevating  the front end, giving the wheel a shake at various points and it was always there with my hands at 12 and 6 o'clock. Re-adjusted the bearing several times before finally removing the hub and finding one of the new bearings I'd installed had way too much lateral play. swapped it out and all is good in the world again! 

Congrats on finding the issue.

I would also double check the tie rod end connection to make sure the mechanic didnt smash it too violently with a BFH.

If they did, it most likely lead to the wheel hub issue. Would probably think about going elsewhere next time.

SOLVED - turned out to be a dodgy new front wheel bearing.

I'd been chasing the issue every night, elevating  the front end, giving the wheel a shake at various points and it was always there with my hands at 12 and 6 o'clock. Re-adjusted the bearing several times before finally removing the hub and finding one of the new bearings I'd installed had way too much lateral play. swapped it out and all is good in the world again! 

Same make of bearing? Did you replace the race again?

Different make of bearing but replaced the race. 

Reckon the different make of bearing will have an effect over the long term tazzie? 

As long as the bearing and race are matched and the bearing's good out of the box , I wouldn't be concerned. Getting the preload just right is a bit of trick,  and I always go back after 1500km and recheck. It's a pretty easy service!

Archived