Question on Harness installation in 996 GT3?

kiwi911

Hi Guys,

I have a comfort spec kiwi new 996.2 GT3 (which I assume is the same spec as an Aussie new car)

The car comes with buckets and techequip half cage and I am looking to insall a 6 point harness.

For those who have done this I have a few queries:

1) I assume I need to buy the sub-mount bar?

2) Are the bolt mounts existing for the lower harness straps (behind the carpet?)

3) Is there anything else I need to know of or be aware of to install?

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/99652193390.html?Category_Code=996GT3_seats

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/x2pPROFI2GT3.html?Category_Code=996GT3_seats

IMG_9228.jpg

IMG_9229.jpg

Yep you'll need the sub bar for the crotch strap. The side straps mount onto the seat rail not the floor. I'll go out and take some pics, BRB

EDIT: see pic below of driver's side seat

FullSizeRender_zps7b8f874b.jpg

The lap belts are mounted at the same location as the three point belt (and same location as the three point buckle on the other side of the seat). Note the lap belts are on the inside with the three point belt on the outside. I have my three point belts running outside of the harness holes (not through like factory) - this allows me to run my three point belt behind the seat and clicked into the buckle when at the track, so that the seat belt chime doesn't annoy me while I'm trying to concentrate. You could also just run the three point over the top of the harness but I just prefer to have it out of the way when at the track.

The sub bar was too hard to get a pic of but its a simple job of mounting it between the seat rail and the front mounting holes of the side brackets for the seat.

Thank you for the pic's and clarification.

So do I ask questions an how to make these cars go faster here too - or start another thread?

I am running Trefeo's (looking to change to Hankook 221's) and have set an 70/30 track geo bias.

Looking to understand what pads to use (don't want the car to squeal like a piglet), whether chipping and/or exhaust has any meaningful benefit. Do you guys bother to pin your pipes?

What are the 'easy gains' if you know what I mean on the diminishing law of returns and turning your car into a cup car.

I want to keep the car largely stock but just want to know what the low hanging fruit is?

On the subject of upgrades I will copy/paste an old email i've kept from a very well versed 911 owner who guided me back when I first started looking for GT3s in 2012. He has owned multiple GT3s over the years.

UPGRADES FOR 03/04:
- the FIRST & BEST upgrade to do is: change the final drive to a 4.11 ratio from a Carrera Cup Car.
the gearing in them is too tall - 90kph in first eek.gif 130 in second.... it just kills them
the 4.11's bring them back to AU conditions [ as opposed to Autobahn]
*bamn* flat 12 sec car.

Second & third mods yield less performance gain. Exhaust & Tune.
A good combination of these will give you 20-25kw.
You need to be careful about the choice of exhaust. GT3 engines are loud, wrong exhaust, and they can drone like a bitch frown.gif
ECU upgrades are easy these days, as this is such a common modification. I can point you to the right people.

Forth mod: Single mass flywheel [when you change the clutch]. ....you wont believe how much quicker it will rev.
You will need to tweak the ECU tune to stop it from occasionally stalling at lights. ....so bear this in mind 

Obviously a lot of discussion about pinning pipes on rennlist, I rang a reputable race shop in NSW who have many customer race GT3s/cup cars etc etc. Their advice for me was to stop reading forums. lol. Something along the lines of "yes, it has happened and we have seen it. does it happen often, no, will it happen to you, probably not. Yes, it could happen, but your tyre could also blow out and go flat too".

That summed it up nicely for me

Brake pads are somewhat of a personal thing, pagid RS29 is a popular choice. I haven't tried performance friction in mine but have in other cars and prefer performance friction. Keen to hear what you think of the Hankooks when you have a chance to try them. Im currently running Nitto NT01s and have liked them but lots of people here in SA run Advans and not much else.

P.S. I have a spare aftermarket muffler that deletes the cats that I will be letting go of, its made by Monty. I haven't had it on the car but the previous owner said it sounded awesome.

I'm running Z221's at the moment on the C2. Soft fronts, medium rears. Grip level is great, tyres are nice and progressive when they're starting to drop off. Cold 25 psi, keep them at 30 when hot as it seems to be the sweet spot.

I love 221's. We also use Hankook 214's which are half a second quicker again,

The benefit of 221's is they are a road legal tyre, so in kiwi-land we can get track day insurance using them.

Not a huge fan of the Toyo 888's or the Dunlops.

Can't get Advan's over here so can't comment. We all prefer 221's.

I am running Trofeo's at the moment, I am luke warm on these, they don't ever really 'come on' and inspire the same level of grip as the 221's.

I believe there are super soft, soft, medium and hard with the 221s and 214s?

Kiwi what is the track day insurance that you refer to? Cover for mishaps on the track itself? Would be great to have something like that in Aus.

We have open track days in kiwi-land where you can get track day cover if you damage your car (or write it off). General conditions are:

• No timing devices that can be viewed from the car. You can hide a timer and down load at end of the day
  • Must have completed recognised driver training with last 12 months
  • Cars limited to 15 on the track
  • Cover max is $300K
  • Can go as fast as you like and overtake (race) other cars on the circuit.
  • Deductable is $5K from memory
  • No slicks (must be road rego tyres - which 221's, Advan's and Trofeo's etc. are)
  • Car needs a rego

There are more than a few people who have called on this insurance and lot don't enter the track without it.

That sounds similar to the UK, mind me asking the cost for such coverage? (PM if you prefer or tell me to fork off altogether!). I assume its purchased on a day by day basis. I find it hard to understand why no insurance co's have stepped up to the plate to offer something like this in Australia. Sure the risks are higher but its not necessarily a matter of "go on track, WILL smash your car" either. Obviously accidents happen but most people tracking expensive cars tend to do so with caution in mind.  

Annual cover is only a few hundred more, I think it costs around $750p/a instead of say $500p/a?

The 993 and 6.2 GT3 cost about the same to insure.

The excess is $5K instead of say $500.

There have been quite a few claims too, must be quite a profitable policy as they keep offering it despite regular accidents.

wow that sounds too good to be true! (not that I dont believe you). I have come across only one policy in Aus that covered track use (through a broker) and it was on an event by event basis - the premium was $6K for three club days.

We have used both the Z221's and A050. the c50 Medium Z221 is on par with the medium A050 for lap time. The soft A050 is faster then the C50 Z221, maybe .5-.8 second a lap. Generalising over a lap of SMP GP of 1:40 seconds. There are issues with the A050 soft, you get 1 lap to do it in. warm up is 4-5 corners and they become squirmy ofter you fastest lap. So best be a very good consistent driver to get the best from them. Both the soft and Medium A050 do have delimitation problems occasionally.

Regards

Sean

Sean, do you have any knowledge of the lap difference between a Trofeo R and 221 by any chance?

Not sure it you guys get them, but the Hankook 214 (slick with 2 grooves) is about 0.5 sec quicker than a 221. We don't get the A050's in NZ (might have to get one of you Aussie's to ship a set over for me :-))

What does a set of A050's cost 235/295 18's?

Cheers

Paul

Have not tried the Trofeo, and by the sounds of guys at our track days they seem to find them ok. I put that somewhere between R888 and Z221.

We get the A050s at Gordan Levan http://www.gordonleven.com/motorsport/index.php 

235/40/18 Mediums for $577 

295/30/18 Medium for $599

More tyre prices at the bottom of this page, just click on the size you want

And i get the hankook Z221 from Garys motorsport tyres http://www.garysmotorsporttyres.com.au/hankook/hankook-motorsport-tyres

Not too sure about the current prices but we paid around $520 for the 285/30/18. So a little cheaper then the Yoko's

Regards

Sean

• 5 weeks later...

Yep you'll need the sub bar for the crotch strap. The side straps mount onto the seat rail not the floor. I'll go out and take some pics, BRB

EDIT: see pic below of driver's side seat

FullSizeRender_zps7b8f874b.jpg

The lap belts are mounted at the same location as the three point belt (and same location as the three point buckle on the other side of the seat). Note the lap belts are on the inside with the three point belt on the outside. I have my three point belts running outside of the harness holes (not through like factory) - this allows me to run my three point belt behind the seat and clicked into the buckle when at the track, so that the seat belt chime doesn't annoy me while I'm trying to concentrate. You could also just run the three point over the top of the harness but I just prefer to have it out of the way when at the track.

The sub bar was too hard to get a pic of but its a simple job of mounting it between the seat rail and the front mounting holes of the side brackets for the seat.

Spiller - thanks for posting the photo and response - used this to brief my mechanic and now have 6 point harness and normal lap belt.

I owe you a beer :-)

I just fitted a new set of Nitto NT01 only to have Peter Fitzgerald tell me I should have bought medium yoky A050

oh well, I'll enjoy trashing this set!  Not out to win sheep stations so the last 0.1 doesn't bother me.

Schroth six point harness, red straps with skinny sholder straps for a harnes device (which I have yet to buy)

I bought HANS yesterday, I have 3" harness which will work fine although 2" to 3" harnesses (2" over HANS then 3") are ideal apparently

for me it's a no brainier $500 to protect yourself.  Someone told me recently it should be the first $500 you spend not the last.  Makes sense.

I just fitted a new set of Nitto NT01 only to have Peter Fitzgerald tell me I should have bought medium yoky A050

oh well, I'll enjoy trashing this set!  Not out to win sheep stations so the last 0.1 doesn't bother me.

I bought HANS yesterday, I have 3" harness which will work fine although 2" to 3" harnesses (2" over HANS then 3") are ideal apparently

for me it's a no brainier $500 to protect yourself.  Someone told me recently it should be the first $500 you spend not the last.  Makes sense.

I'm currently running NT01 on my GT3...great tyre but I get an odd rolling sensation in the higher speed corners. Car might be a touch stiff for them in its current set up I think. Another guy was at the track today with his 996 GT3 running yoko softs and he's 1.5-2secs per lap quicker than me. Going to give the softs a go next. The NT01 are great bang for buck and supposedly grip til the canvas so it's hard to go past that.

Archived