BOXSTER S Blue smoke on start up

Niko

Wondering if anyone has any clues on this little problem.

When I start my Boxster (2001 S with 130,000 k's) up it boots a reasonable amount of blue smoke out the exhaust. I know they sometimes do that but this, in my opinion there is way too much. I almost gassed a lady walking with her kid in a stroller the other morning when I started it up.

I also took it for a run up Arthurs seat and give it a reasonable push. Got to the top and could smell a hot oil smell. Let the car sit for no more than 5 minutes started it up and woof....blue smoke everywhere. I almost killed a couple of Japanese tourists at the lookout. Very very embarrassing. It doesn't do it all the time though and it is not burning oil when it is actually on the road.

I took it to Brighton Porsche earlier this week and they had it for two days but said they could not get it to blow smoke on start up. They checked the PCV valve and said that is ok. When I fired it up to take it home WOOOF there it was again, but Jake the service manager was with me when it belched the smoke out and he told me that amount was acceptable. I don't think so, way too much, and the smoke that came out at Arthurs seat after a hot run indicates to me that something is amiss. The car only comes out once a fortnight or even less and Jake said that that may be some of the problem, not enough use. Jake also said to actually find the problem, it would be a lot of hit and miss and would be a major job.

I am just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions where I might take it. I have been happy with PCB in the past, but I don't want to have to keep leaving the car there unless they know what they are tackling, and I really don't want to pay for a fishing expedition that may not give a result. The car is running perfectly and does not appear to be using any oil (by the dipstick)

Help..., if I don't get it sorted out Julia will hit me with my own carbon tax....

Niko

My 911 does this intermittently all the time (if that makes sense). What I have found is if I give it a bit of stick then immediately turn it off its worse next morning. So I always let it run for a minute or two before turning it off, especially if I have gone for a bit of a spirited drive. It also seems a little dependant on the angle the car is parked when I start it up.

I think its just part and parcel of a flat engine configuration, and the way the oil system is designed. I have been told even some new GT3's do it.

There must be some sort of sensor in them because a bit like yours, when mine decides to do it the worst, is always when someone is around :(

My 911 does this intermittently all the time (if that makes sense). What I have found is if I give it a bit of stick then immediately turn it off its worse next morning. So I always let it run for a minute or two before turning it off, especially if I have gone for a bit of a spirited drive. It also seems a little dependant on the angle the car is parked when I start it up.

I think its just part and parcel of a flat engine configuration, and the way the oil system is designed. I have been told even some new GT3's do it.

There must be some sort of sensor in them because a bit like yours, when mine decides to do it the worst, is always when someone is around :(

Yep very embarraassmmeennt!!! Thanks for that advice, I will give it a try, nothing to lose. PCB certainly didn't seem to be too concerned about it so....maybe I am paranoid.

If the car had been through a hard life I would accept it, but it has been looked after like the "kept other woman", and very rarely sees the angry side of the tacho.

Nice day to today, so I will take it for a drive down to SHANNONS this morning for a perv at what they have and try out your advice. (might not park in their car park though just in case)

Regards,

Niko

• 2 weeks later...

Well a couple of weeks down the track and I have had the Coxster out a few times. Seems your advice is pretty good, each time I have done a hot restart after letting it run for a minute or so before turning off .....no smokies.....

Also from the cold start now only once has it been what I would call a tad too much smoke on ignition. Otherwise small acceptable bit on other cold start ups after having let it run before turning off.

Thanks for that advice, seems good.

Regards,

Niko

• 1 month later...

hey fellas, took mine out today and after warming it up i gave it a real caning through the gears which i havent really done before and i got this whif of burt oil smell just breifly, oil levels ok and everything else looks fibe , has anyone had a similar experience , ps its a 993 3.6 cheers

experience.does it still have the encapsulation(cover under the engine)? if so you won't be able to see it

it won't drip on the ground until it gets very bad,at the moment it's leaking on to the heat exchanger,hence the smell.

common on 993 ,plastic rocker covers with a rubber seal.

replace the seal and if problem persists replace the cover as well

thanks for the reply, i have had the cover off once just for a look and it was all dry on the motor as well,think that when it goes in for a service i will mention your views, is it an expensive fix?

thanks for the reply, i have had the cover off once just for a look and it was all dry on the motor as well,think that when it goes in for a service i will mention your views, is it an expensive fix?

Pretty cheap and easy DIY If it's just the seals an hour or so to do the job and less than a hundred bucks for the seals

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.php/993_-_Valve_Covers

thanks heaps steve , i guess you did yours at some stage?

Yes Gaza Mine had the same symptoms that you are describing re the oily smell It was exactly as jnr said oil dripping on the heat exchangers

A quote of $1000.00 to fix made me look into it and it was one of the easier jobs to do

• 3 weeks later...

Wondering if anyone has any clues on this little problem.

When I start my Boxster (2001 S with 130,000 k's) up it boots a reasonable amount of blue smoke out the exhaust. I know they sometimes do that but this, in my opinion there is way too much. I almost gassed a lady walking with her kid in a stroller the other morning when I started it up.

I also took it for a run up Arthurs seat and give it a reasonable push. Got to the top and could smell a hot oil smell. Let the car sit for no more than 5 minutes started it up and woof....blue smoke everywhere. I almost killed a couple of Japanese tourists at the lookout. Very very embarrassing. It doesn't do it all the time though and it is not burning oil when it is actually on the road.

I took it to Brighton Porsche earlier this week and they had it for two days but said they could not get it to blow smoke on start up. They checked the PCV valve and said that is ok. When I fired it up to take it home WOOOF there it was again, but Jake the service manager was with me when it belched the smoke out and he told me that amount was acceptable. I don't think so, way too much, and the smoke that came out at Arthurs seat after a hot run indicates to me that something is amiss. The car only comes out once a fortnight or even less and Jake said that that may be some of the problem, not enough use. Jake also said to actually find the problem, it would be a lot of hit and miss and would be a major job.

I am just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions where I might take it. I have been happy with PCB in the past, but I don't want to have to keep leaving the car there unless they know what they are tackling, and I really don't want to pay for a fishing expedition that may not give a result. The car is running perfectly and does not appear to be using any oil (by the dipstick)

Help..., if I don't get it sorted out Julia will hit me with my own carbon tax....

Niko

Niko,

Can I suggest you try SWEPCO 502 Engine Oil Improver which helps reduce "smoking".

Available in 1 X 470ml or 12 X 470ml

Check out the link to the TDS

http://www.swepcousa.com/lubesite/lubesb/J03776_502SB.pdf

All SWEPCO products are now available in Australia

Please contact Neil or John for pricing and an order form.

If your in the Melbourne metro area you can pick up and if not we can deliver anywhere in Australia

Phone BH: 03 9318 9811

Neil Mobile: 0419 913 532

John Mobile: 0411 411 177

I am also happy to email you information you need - neil.taylor@spcaust.com

Regards,

Neil

• 10 months later...

Niko,

Can I suggest you try SWEPCO 502 Engine Oil Improver which helps reduce "smoking".

http://www.swepcousa...03776_502SB.pdf

If your in the Melbourne metro area you can pick up and if not we can deliver anywhere in Australia

Regards,

Neil

Hi Neil, sincere apologies for not getting back to you, just found this on the site and realised I didn't see it back then.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it ended up being and AIR OIL SEPARATOR, which was replaced and up to now the problem has definitely gone. Again, humble apologies for not getting back.

Regards,

Niko

Guest vas930

Niko,

http://www.swepcousa...03776_502SB.pdf

Regards,

Neil

With all due respect ,Neil.

If your porsche is blowing smoke, something is wrong.

Not saying your product cant help cover the issue.

However, it cant fix the problem.

Guys, if the thing blows smoke, get it looked at.

Dont forget the old banana peel in the noisy diff trick. -_-

Archived