Factory toolkit contents

ruby82sc

Hey Greg,

This is the 1981SC ROW tool kit that is in my car. The only tool that was not with the car when I bought it, was the tow hook. I added the shop towel about 15 years ago.

The markings on the tools are:

• Spanners: SELECTED-SPECIAL-STEEL  WEST GERMANY 
  • Wheel nut wrench: 19mm KLEIN
  • Pliers: HAPEWE  GERMANY
  • Alternator socket tool: 24  KLEIN
  • Alternator pulley hook tool (c spanner): No markings
  • Spark plug Allen key: 10 DIN 911/W.GERMANY
  • Spark plug socket tool: KLEIN  21  W-GERMANY
  • Screw driver handle: Made in W-Germany
  • 3 screw driver blades: No markings
  • Battery retainer bolt Allen key: 6  KLEIN
  • Tube socket: KLEIN  10 X 13  MADE IN W-GERMANY
  • Round tube, for battery Allen key: No markings                                                                                            

The 5 pack of fuses are made by PUDENZ.

1981SC%20TOOL%20BAG.jpg

1981SC%20TOOL%20BAG%20FUSES.jpg

Hi Brett,

Thanks for your info, it just gets deeper :)

I had just about convinced myself that the 24 mm alt and 19 mm lug wrench with Klein were for a 3.2 and that SC were not branded. That was just an observation I made looking at many kits on line, kits obviously with dubious parentage. There must have been other suppliers at different times, common sense would say that Klein would have branded all their tools, so did both branded and "not" go to all markets and over what period of time is the next question?

The other tool that I thought was just for a 3.2 was the Klein 10 x 13 mm tube spanner, which I might add I have never read what it is used for so maybe you can help?

No gloves or tyre bag?

Greg

Here's mine as promised (ages ago!)

6388ED8B-3A0A-49CD-9982-361AB7CFB20D_zps

2DA1100A-B7A3-4B1B-AA41-1510173867CF_zps

car is 81 sc US delivered.  Not sure if the difference in toolkit fabric is down to it being a replacement, or a very well kept original. The PO didn't keep it in the car, because he had to rummage in his garage to find it.

I can get a closer pic of any of the individual tools if needed.

I have seen that type of fabric in other kits but I don't think it is very common, the fact that it has the green tag stapled to it should indicate that it is genuine.

Have you ever tried your 22 mm alternator wrench on the nut and are the open end spanners drop forged or SSS?

Thanks for your input, it's a lovely kit

Greg

• 4 weeks later...

So happy to have won the Ebay auction for these items:D. Could not believe only me & one other bidder at $34.90. Trust me, my higher bid was a lot more than the $35.90 I won these for. I thought for sure there would be a few of you PFAer's bidding on these.

Genuine Porsche tyre change gloves & associated bags.

TOOL%20KIT%20GLOVES%20amp%20BAGS.jpg

So happy to have won the Ebay auction for these items:D. Could not believe only me & one other bidder at $34.90. Trust me, my higher bid was a lot more than the $35.90 I won these for. I thought for sure there would be a few of you PFAer's bidding on these.

Well done! I suspect the PFers are saving up for genuine Porsche smog pumps. Getting the cars to a point "as delivered" is now worth something.

• 2 weeks later...

Genuine Porsche tyre change gloves & associated bags.

TOOL%20KIT%20GLOVES%20amp%20BAGS.jpg

Well done, but for your car, the bag should have "Made in W. Germany", not "Germany"  Sorry!  But well done, looks like it hasn't been used.  Great find.

Greg, pics of screwdrivers as requested, I have the tool kit with me now, let me know if you need pics of anything else.  Handle has no manufacturers mark, but has "Made in W.Germany" in very feint lettering on the flat of the handle, I tried to photograph this text but it didn't show clearly.

Inserts show no manufacturers mark.

L1280226_zpsbpyida7n.jpg

L1280227_zpszyvzz6nr.jpg

L1280228_zpslurscsnw.jpg

L1280229_zpscj594uz6.jpg

L1280230_zpsmkzf5vmc.jpg

L1280231_zpsy3il42an.jpg

L1280232_zpswfmjgihy.jpg

L1280233_zps88ymdrkb.jpg

Well done, but for your car, the bag should have "Made in W. Germany", not "Germany"  Sorry!  But well done, looks like it hasn't been used.  Great find.

Hey Carl,

I had done quite a bit of research on the tool kit accessories contents, I thought I had this subject sussed out until your reply to my post. There is always something to learn with these cars.

I was ready to on sell my purchase after your post, but decided to revisit this subject again. The whole subject of what is correct or not correct is definitely a grey area. 

Do any of you guys have a photo of the Porsche plastic bag from the 1981 era?

These are some of the photos I used as a reference point.

TOOL%20KIT%2081SC.jpg

TOOL%20KIT%20SC.jpg

TOOL%20KIT%20911S.jpg

Hey Brett,

I saw a couple of these "Made in Germany" bags with mid year toolkits on Pelican last week.  I know all or most??????? tools have West and not to doubt Carl's knowledge but did they just leave West off? it does after all say Porsche. Just on your kit I have a feeling that the 10x13 tube spanner didn't appear until the 3.2??? please correct me if I'm wrong (and have been a lot lately) but I think that is how I read the PET.

Regards

Hey Carl,

I had done quite a bit of research on the tool kit accessories contents, I thought I had this subject sussed out until your reply to my post. There is always something to learn with these cars.

I was ready to on sell my purchase after your post, but decided to revisit this subject again. The whole subject of what is correct or not correct is definitely a grey area. 

Do any of you guys have a photo of the Porsche plastic bag from the 1981 era?

These are some of the photos I used as a reference point.

TOOL%20KIT%2081SC.jpg

TOOL%20KIT%20SC.jpg

TOOL%20KIT%20911S.jpg

I have to admit, I was sort of having a lend of you :).  My apologies!  I don't know if it should have "W. Germany" being a pre-unification kit.  It is possible, the bags were made in the East, I don't know.  But they were probably made in the West, and I suspect the script on your kit is correct for your car.  There are many examples of items coming from the old West that simply say "Made in Germany."   Have a look at a Leica lens made in Wetzlar, West Germany between 1949 and 1990, they simply read "Made in Germany"

Since my car is also pre-unification (1987) and the bag has never been opened,  I'd better have a look!!!  I'll report back in good time :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Brett,

The other tool that I thought was just for a 3.2 was the Klein 10 x 13 mm tube spanner, which I might add I have never read what it is used for so maybe you can help?

Greg

Hey Greg,

I have solved the Klein 10 x 13mm tube spanner mystery (I hope:().

With the introduction of a different style air conditioner compressor & bracket on the 3.2 Carrera engine, there was a need to reach the bolts on the adjustable bracket. By using the combination of the 10 x 13 tube spanner & the 10mm allen key for the spark plug tool, the compressor bracket bolts can be loosened or tightened. So, this tool is needed for when you would have needed to change the fan belt for the engine cooling fan, because the air con belt needs to come off first.

I have communicated with 2 previous owners of my car, both claim the tube spanner was in the tool kit, when the car was under their custody. This leads me to believe sometime in the cars life the tube spanner has been added to the kit.

You are definitely correct about this being a Carrera tool, so how much do you think it is worth? I think I will sell this tool.

KLEIN%2010x13.jpg

Archived