987 Boxster Buyers Guide

Grimmy

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good guide on purchasing a 987 Boxster or maybe someone might be able to share some knowledge on engine types over the 987 production run.

From what I can gather there appears to be a series one and series two in the 987 series.

It would appear that the engines in the series one are carried over from the 986 generation with small power increases however they essentially remained the same design. (i.e.) used an intermediate shaft and have the potential to suffer a I.M.S Bearing failure. It would appear that around 2009?? there was a change to a new engine design (which dropped the I.M.S ??) which introduced the 2.9 engine and PDK in the base model. 

Is anyone aware if indeed a non-I.M.S engine was introduced prior to this?

From what I can gather the "sweet spot" is the 2.9L engine that was introduced around 2009 i.e. adequate performance, loves to rev and is much more reliable than the previous generation engines. Has anyone got any thoughts on this??

Thank you

You are correct in almost everything you've typed.

There was no non-IMS engine prior to the Gen 2 (2009-2012) models.

There was minor change in the Engine size for the Gen 1 Boxster S versions - 3.2 to 3.4L around 2007. The IMS bearing were improved with larger bearings and less prone to failure. This improvement of the IMS may have also happened to the Gen 1 Boxster 2.7L's engine too (I am not sure about this).

The Gen 2 model engines don't have IMS and are Direct Fuel Injection (DFI) motors (so will have more soot at the engine tips). They also come with LED taillights. The front center console where the stereo sits was changed from a greenish silver to all black. The Gen2s could also now be configured with PDK or dual clutch transmissions. The Gen 1s only had Tiptronic slush boxes.

Agree. The 987.2's have a number of improvements over the 987.1's (particularly the S which got the DFI engine compared with the base which didn't IIRC). I think they represent the best bang for buck of the Porsche range right now as the 981's are pushing values down. 

The 981's seem to be hanging on in price - but are likely to drop soon I expect as they start to come out of the warranty period.

If you buy a very early 987 you can have the IMS bearing replaced, thus removing the risk of IMS failure.  Unfortunately if you buy a car from late 2005 onwards, you wont know if the bearing can be replaced until they pull the car apart and have a look at it.  I had the IMS Solution installed in the car I had and it was faultless.

I'm not sure if these engines are erm more prone to failing.. in fact not many have in Australia at all.  I asked many P Dealers before i bought my 987 and it was unheard of.

The 987 2.7 is now falling into the  mid 30k range,  a hell of a lot of car for the $$$ 

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your replies, its greatly appreciated.

This will be my first Porsche something that I have wanted since I was a teenager (which is a long time ago!!) it's really looking like a 2.9 PDK Cayman at this stage.

This will be my first Porsche something that I have wanted since I was a teenager (which is a long time ago!!) it's really looking like a 2.9 PDK Cayman at this stage.

good choice!

No offense meant but buying a 987 Boxster with PDK transmission would be IMHO would defeat one of the best reasons of purchasing the car. i.e. fun driving and being one with the car. 

I upgraded my manual 986 to 987 Gen 2 with PDK very happy with PDK. Some times you have to drive around town and it sure beats changing gears.

The 2.9 l engine is a loy sweeter,has so much less inertia i.e. not driving all those 5 chains, ims etc.

No offense meant but buying a 987 Boxster with PDK transmission would be IMHO would defeat one of the best reasons of purchasing the car. i.e. fun driving and being one with the car. 

no offense taken. It's all a matter of personal choice. I have had my fill of manual transmissions and am super impressed with a friends PDK. Equipped car. 

good choice!

thank you I certainly hope so as I have one on the way! PDK/sports chrono

Well done Grimmy, you will love it.:wub:  

I drove a 981 PDK Cayman a few weeks ago from PCM, I honestly prefer my 6 speed manual, to it.;)  

But the score is on the board for the PDK.

whatever.....you are getting a sensational car....:D

Archived