New Porsche diesels yay or nay

hugh

What's the general consensus on the new Porsche diesel variants - is the current 'diesel gate' with VW worth any concern? 

I'm curious to thoughts or views on the current diesel offerings, in particular towards the Cayenne. I know there are a few members on here sporting current Cayenne diesels and would like to hear any pro or cons you'd be comfortable to share. 

Thanks in advance! 

don't have a Porsche Diesel Hugh, but the wife has a Audi SQ5 which is a turbo diesel. Bugger the emissions gate - it is amazingly fuel efficient and this is a bloody fast car to boot. 5.1sec to 100 in a $100k SUV is pretty good value (only Macan turbo beats this), yet gets over 800kms per tank. I assume Porsche have similar options.

still sounds like a tractor though...

I've had a tempting offer to pick up a Cayenne Diesel, it's not the V8 though, just the 3.0 6 cylinder. My only initial concern was the whole VW thing and if it's believed that it will have an effect on these cars but it seems like it's unlikely from what information I can attain. 

My foray into a water cooled Porsche might be happening.................+ its got air suspension. Whoop whoop. 

I doubt it honestly, They have pinned many other companies for the same thing after VW, and overall VW still had the better results out of them all! You just hear VW over them all as they where the first and made a huge deal over it like most americans would. 
And those huge trucks of these are emissions exempt... 

Diesels are great for a daily driver :) 

I doubt it honestly, They have pinned many other companies for the same thing after VW, and overall VW still had the better results out of them all! You just hear VW over them all as they where the first and made a huge deal over it like most americans would. 
And those huge trucks of these are emissions exempt... 

Diesels are great for a daily driver :) 

I've currently got the family in a diesel CX5 and its a great car, can't fault it. The urge however to upgrade the family wagon is ever present, just trying to balance it out between the luxury that it is vs real issues that are worth factoring in (ie recalls etc.) as this would most likely become a factor on resale. Not that depreciation is bad enough! :lol:

Hi Hugh,

I recently purchased a diesel Skoda Superb wagon as our family Limo.  It is part of the VW recall.  I am constantly informed by Skoda/ VW that the 'technical fix' will be a simple software upgrade.  The car is really very nice to drive, very smooth & far quicker & more responsive than I expected from a diesel (and incredibly fuel efficient).  You have to drive it a bit differently than a petrol car IMHO.  I've found you have to apply the throttle more smoothly than you would a petrol at lower speed lest the turbo kicks in unexpectedly & rocks you back in your seat like your strapped to a Saturn 5 rocket. Overall I am very happy with this vehicle as it is my first modern diesel.  I think I would highly recommend a diesel.

Archived