924 Carrera

kennethoz

I'm looking into a 924 Turbo that has been retrofitted at some point with a Carrera body kit. The engine has been "worked" and its had a few other things done to it. The owner claims that while he didn't do the work on the car, it was originally done as part of fitting it out for a Carrera Cup series with 924's. Does anyone know anything about such a race series and retrofitted 924s? What should such a car be worth? Would it worth trying to trace back its provenance?

there has been that 'carrera' fs on ebay for a long time. Alleged story is that all the body interior drive train etc came from their wrecked Carrera - end of the day a 924 with a body kit and with a carrera spec engine - this the same one?

there has been that 'carrera' fs on ebay for a long time. Alleged story is that all the body interior drive train etc came from their wrecked Carrera - end of the day a 924 with a body kit and with a carrera spec engine - this the same one?

• 3 months later...

I saw one a few months ago Dutton's had a real 924 carrea, Turbo(GTS ?) and yesterday I was at PCB picking up some OEM rubber bits, and had a look at one there. Based on asking price I would say it is the one Dutton's advertised. When I went back to PCB later that day it was gone. Not sure if this same car but it was in great condition and the one Duttons advertised had great provenance.

Mark my Dad worked on a few cut and shuts in his time and felt the same way when he did a Jenson Interceptor that was from same scenario.Gave him the creeps too

• 1 month later...

Just joined the forum and have a couple of work in progress cars... one is a LHD GT chassis # 308 no concourse car but will hopefully be a great drive car when I get chance to get it all finished. Hopefully the link attached works

924GT.jpg

Let me be the first to say Welcome to the P.F.A.(on this portion of the forum anyway)

Your GT looks impressive, there is a nice original black one in the P.C.V. and it goes extremely well, I assume yours is from the States? Tell us all about it, where it came from how long you've had it etc, if you can, awesome cars them Carrera GT's.

Cheers,

Niko

I'll try not to make this into War and Peace although it will stretch on for a bit, I found the GT by default !

I was actually searching the WWW for parts for what was then going to be my only Porsche, a 1980 911SC. The car came from Japan having been privately imported there in 1982 from Europe. It was one of those curious listings you can find at times on Yahoo Japan (its like Ebay for the Japanese) and apart from a particularly ordinary photo of the front of the car covered in a lot of dust it was hard to really be sure if it was the real deal or not, it was simply listed as Porsche GT.

I was lucky in that I had previously dealt with an importer who lives over in Japan and he agreed to arrange an inspection of the car and check out what it was and what shape it was. After the initial inspection he arranged for a mechanical inspection and I received a report and about 200 photos all leading to the eventual purchase by me after confirming with Porsche that it was in fact a real GT with chassis # 308.

The car was missing its interior trim and had an alloy rollcage kind of looking like a German Mater Rollcage from 1980's with slip joints etc. It also has of course being from Japan the big big exhaust pipe they all run on the skylines etc. I must say though that looking at it under the car it is a real work of art being a full stainless one off item. I'm sure I wont get it passed by an engineer as it has a vent to atmosphere wastegate pipe like the 930's ran in competition. I am arranging to have it modified to vent back into the system and have a more normal oval tailpipe fabricated to fit and achieve a normal appearance from behind the car. Importing the car was fairly straight forward as my agent had all the contacts for this with his normal business of J-Spec Imports.

The car has been here now for about 12 months and it will be "a while" before I get it registered as I am working through the final stages of my 911 build for club motorsport.

Thanks for that, interesting story and even more interesting car history. Sounds like you have got a good start point there so keep us in the loop as to how it is coming along.

good luck with it and the 911.

Niko

• 7 months later...

Nice.

I was looking for a 911, until I saw 924 Carrera replica (built with many rel parts apparently) at the Adelaide Hills Tarmac Rally.

Seeing that car and the 951 at the same event sent me back to plan A: a 944.

There was a little scope creep: I ended p win a S2 rather than a 2.5.

Nice Carrera.

Greg

Archived