Considering a tune on my 997.1 Turbo

teknostar

As above. Anyone had this done?

Clearly plenty on the internet, and lots of options out there.

Broadly seem to be either go to a local provider and leave the car with them to get tuned (which they will either load a standard AU Spec tune, do themselves in house for a custom tune, or use an overseas tuner to rewrite software overnight) OR buying a port cable (Cobb Access Port / VR Tuned / Softronics etc) and flashing on myself.

Buying a cable from a US tuner and getting it tuned remotely is the cheapest option at less than $2k It is then also reversible by myself if needed.

I quite like the idea of having a baseline dyno run done followed by installing the tune and doing a second dyno run. I have somewhere i can get this done if I go with the cable route.

Has anyone else been through this process / any ideas?

Thanks 

As above. Anyone had this done?

Clearly plenty on the internet, and lots of options out there.

Broadly seem to be either go to a local provider and leave the car with them to get tuned (which they will either load a standard AU Spec tune, do themselves in house for a custom tune, or use an overseas tuner to rewrite software overnight) OR buying a port cable (Cobb Access Port / VR Tuned / Softronics etc) and flashing on myself.

Buying a cable from a US tuner and getting it tuned remotely is the cheapest option at less than $2k It is then also reversible by myself if needed.

I quite like the idea of having a baseline dyno run done followed by installing the tune and doing a second dyno run. I have somewhere i can get this done if I go with the cable route.

Has anyone else been through this process / any ideas?

Thanks 

Talk to Fitzgerald Racing in Box Hill they work wonders on late model turbo's 

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the cobb and tune from protuningfreaks and currently in the process of tuning. No issues thus far, extremely user friendly and different tunes easily uploadable depending on use i.e. valet mode. Great for the price

• 2 weeks later...

Cost: $2,600 inc get (Cobb Accessport V3, supplied, installed and two dyno runs)

Front driveshafts disconnected

Base line dyno run done 292rwkw

Stage 1 93 Octane (98 RON) file uploaded. 

Post upload dyno run 304rwkw

Biggest gains were across the middle of the rev range 3000rpm - 5000rpm where a 15% increase was achieved 

Its not massively different from before the tune as it was already a very fast car, it drives same as stock on part throttle but revs more easily from 3000rpm upwards, with a noticeable increase in mid range torque. I am estimating that it now has about 380kw and 700nm @ flywheel.

Cost: $2,600 inc get (Cobb Accessport V3, supplied, installed and two dyno runs)

Front driveshafts disconnected

Base line dyno run done 292rwkw

Stage 1 93 Octane (98 RON) file uploaded. 

Post upload dyno run 304rwkw

Biggest gains were across the middle of the rev range 3000rpm - 5000rpm where a 15% increase was achieved 

Its not massively different from before the tune as it was already a very fast car, it drives same as stock on part throttle but revs more easily from 3000rpm upwards, with a noticeable increase in mid range torque. I am estimating that it now has about 380kw and 700nm @ flywheel.

Hi  Great post with actual back to back numbers.   I was expecting a bit more than that even allowing for the US happy hp dyno's

https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wiki/display/PRS/Porsche+997.1+Turbo+Map+Notes

worddav01d88ad23f5cf2938bd71f90a08a8adb.

Typical Stage1, Stage2 gains vs Stock Power:

Stage1 ACN91 

+10% HP / +8% TQ

+17% HP / +16% TQ

Stage2 ACN91 

+17% HP / +13% TQ

+24% HP / +24% TQ

My power curve was nearly exactly as described by Cobb in the map notes as you have listed above. The gain is mostly in the midrange (17% HP and 16% Tq)

There is gain of min 10% and 8% all across the rev range.

Best thing is that it drives like stock unless you put your food down hard...

Also on Thursday when the dyno runs were done, it was 35 deg and no air specifically directed towards the intercoolers - when driving the power number would be higher. 

My power curve was nearly exactly as described by Cobb in the map notes as you have listed above. The gain is mostly in the midrange (17% HP and 16% Tq)

There is gain of min 10% and 8% all across the rev range.

Best thing is that it drives like stock unless you put your food down hard...

Also on Thursday when the dyno runs were done, it was 35 deg and no air specifically directed towards the intercoolers - when driving the power number would be higher. 

Thanks for disclosing the 35 deg and no fan setup on the intercoolers, that may help to explain why in mind the the peak power levels may be down on what I was expecting to see up top.    Did you see any heatsoak of your intercoolers (assuming stock) in the two runs.  

• 6 months later...

go for it

the tt is probably one of the best platforms for this, giving a substantial gain for the Area Under Curve so great gains across the entire rev range

APR was great but I dont think they are represented here anymore, you'll love it

edit: sorry just noticed the date...

Archived