looking for 928

a239947

Hi guys

I've decided i want to challenge myself a little and am now looking for a 928. 

The only thing is it must be manual and affordable (i.e not an 80k gts)

Does anybody know of anything nice floating around, i have been trawling the web looking at everything.

My intention is to use it as a daily so needs to be pretty good, im handy with my hands but dont really want to be doing any body work or re-upolstering the interior.

Also has anybody seen in person the red 928 in Perth on Carsales? It ticks a lot of boxes for me but I'm in brisbane so seeing the car in person is a bit of a challenge!

Otherwise if somebody knows a great place to get a PPI for it that would be great.

I look forward to your replies.

Cheers

Dylan

Good luck with your hunt! I have recently acquired my 83 S :) Not all are advertised publically (mine was not) and you may find one by asking the right people - Porsche club etc.

You are after a manual, but what model? Early 4.5, S/ S2 4.7, S3 5.0 or an S4? Not that many manuals around. Definitely has to be manual? The autos are still great to drive :)

I much prefer a manual although havent driven to the auto yet.

My ideal car would be an 86 S. I like the original styling mixed with the 5L engine. But i will look at any of the early styling models if it is in the right condition. 

There is currently one 86 manual on carsales in vic but is a bit of a fixer upper so i ruled it out.

i will have a look at the one above, it does seem like a good option even though it is auto.

86 S3 5.0 would be my favoured choice too, having said that I am very happy with my 83! I thought the 3 speed auto may be a let down but it is not, such flexibility the 4.7 has. Yes the Vic one is a bit of a fixer....

On a daily commute the auto may be better too?

This one grabbed my attention, but too much unknown and my brief enquiry revealed little...needs some work so price could be negotiable. Something about the Strosek body..... :)    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/osborne-park/cars-vans-utes/porsche-928s/1105591465

Hmm, interesting. Does seem to need some work and not a lot of info in the ad, (i hate that, are they really trying to sell it?)

Not sure im a fan of bodykits on these cars, they already have such a clean shape. It seems hard to improve on without messing it up, and its not like they aren't wide enough already!

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-928-1981/SSE-AD-3838613/?Cr=1

Hmm, interesting. Does seem to need some work and not a lot of info in the ad, (i hate that, are they really trying to sell it?)

Not sure im a fan of bodykits on these cars, they already have such a clean shape. It seems hard to improve on without messing it up, and its not like they aren't wide enough already!

i like this one in perth. Even has the wonderful Pascha interior! Just wish it was on the east coast of the country.

this HTML class. Value is http://www.carsales.

Do you mean this one (your link not work?) http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-928-1981/SSE-AD-3838613/?Cr=1? It does look nice but has been messed with a little, either that or the add is wrong (although I think you could option your non S with S spoilers)? Wheels need to be changed for my liking....

The Strosek one (not a Gemballa as advertised) does look interesting, but you are right cannot improve upon perfection :) (maybe as a second 928....). I asked him for some pics of the interior and engine, he simply said that he did not have any and that was the end of it, did not seem overly keen to sell.....

Link is fixed. 

Im not too fussed by originality, although its nice to have. I like the S spoilers on the car and i can see it had an upgraded radiator and strut bar added. And yes the wheels need changing but thats not hard to do. 

Its the Pascha interior that really sets it off for me. Its a bit bonkers but really suits its period. 

Having a non original car makes me feel less guilty of doing modifications myself. If i bought a concours car like the one above i would be scared of ruining it.

I've  already done that with my current golf daily. Ive made it a lot faster and more fun and i love it to bits but in the end we all know ive ruined it! ?

Having spent a lot of seat time in an S4 manual lately, I can vouch for it. It's a great drive, wait out for one if you can. 

There has been a few 928 opportunities appear lately and the better opportunities seem to move fast, you've just gotta keep an eye out!

Gum tree seems to list more of them for some reason? 

I'm also looking, but for an early car. 

I got my 84s2 about 6 months ago and like you I wanted a manual but settled on a 4 speed auto and I must say for my DD I think it was a good choice. I also have a 911 so I guess I'm lucky as this satisfies my manual needs. If you have not tried the auto I would do so before discounting it anyway. It really depends on how you want to use the car

Archived